• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks like the fascists are breathing their final breaths.

Soon it will be time to unite the world in friendship and labor and liberate the oppressed laborers living under the brutal, oppressive democratic regimes of the West!!! :)

Belgrade didn't last as long as I expected. Given the forces in the area, I was wondering if something along the lines of the siege of Budapest might develop. A quick rush now across Slovenia to threaten both Vienna and northern Italy, and I don't think the axis can deal with both threats. It might be time for the Italian communists to start thinking about what they can do to assist the Red Army.

Oh, and be careful of these Yugoslav partisans. That Comrade Tito, he might not be entirely reliable as an ally.

Oh, and be careful of these Yugoslav partisans. That Comrade Tito, he might not be entirely reliable as an ally.

I have a feeling that in this particular iteration of history Comrade Tito won't have much of a choice but to toe the line.

The Red menace descends over Europe, will we see the day when the darkness retreat, or even collapses?
I do not foresee that Stalin will give up whatever falls into his hands and for now that will be most of Europe, with the rest easily collapsing as a house of cards if he so wishes. The remaining allies will not be able to stop the Soviets unless the USA joins the fray and that does not look likely.

- Diary of Churchill in exile.

Onwards to Split for a dip in the Adriatic, and a little relaxation - before moving on to Italy? That is a large pocket that is forming - I hope the AI will not be able to evacuate.

They get some units out but mostly to the south ... a case of mixing up the frying pan with the fire, but they are in big problems as they are out of position (mostly up around the Danube sector) and very weak, so the next post took an age to write. Version #1 was about 3 pages of text with all these meeting engagements ... ended up simpllifying the description as the individual events were very complex but the overall picture very straightforward.

Yeah, you've got the momentum now and the Axis will always be on the back foot. Either being forced into a retreat through ORG loss or scrambling to avoid being pocketed.

The way your infantry divisions manhandled that heavy armour out of the way is yet another sign that you've got this one in the bag.

You had me going when you talked about the loss of 2 Tank, but reading on I realised you meant withdrawn rather than destroyed.

I thought that victory over a near full strength Hvy Armour division said it all, I know their research is up to date & I think their upgrades are not too far behind (the German AI has masses of AI and can't build anything new), but its indicative of all the work I've done on my HA techs that I shifted it with pretty much even losses.

But in this sector now, its a case of going for the kill - they are split up and never able to rest and regain organisation while I have 8-10 divisions sitting in the rear just recovering (a luxury I would have loved in 1941)

Another in a lengthening series of victories for the Soviet Union. The Germans can still bleed you (though not as badly as you bleed them), but they can't stop you. Shoving that Heavy Armor division out of the way with only infantry shows an almost casual contempt for the Germans' defensive abilities at this time. :)

Its also that this sort of warfare with no real front line is not the AIs strongest point, so they did a number of daft things (one of the next screenshots willl show this) in an attempt, I think, to make sense of the front and the configuration of forces.

That German counteroffensive did feel rather real, given how the Germans fought at this juncture. Good decisions on your part, there.

The highway to the Fatherland is close!

As above, it scared me at the time, as it really looked like I'd have 2 Armies trashed, but with reserves, and the ability to exert pressure on their flanks, I was able to ride it out without too much damage.

I like how the Germans have trusted their divisions to Slovakian commanders, even in the defense of their homeland.

There will be a lot of that in the coming posts. I don't know why but the German AI makes over a lot of its forces as expeditionary units. Some makes sense, but I think they don't take them back when the unit returns to the German sector, so you find a German unit lent to the Slovaks fighting on the upper Oder ...

Good that everything seems to be progressing so well. The war is clearly in the final stages, onwards to victory!

They are indeed ... July will see this all over except an awful lot of movement and hunting down their last strongpoints ... then things take on a rather Easter character before getting rather aquatic for a while.

Looks like the fascists are breathing their final breaths.

Soon it will be time to unite the world in friendship and labor and liberate the oppressed laborers living under the brutal, oppressive democratic regimes of the West!!! :)

Indeed, I have a sort of alt-history post(s) in mind for the end, but my feeling is given the problems the Soviets had in retaining close control of Eastern Europe, there is no way would the various regimes installed across Europe, Asia & Latin America all behaved ... so either the nature of the 'Soviet bloc' alters or it falls apart.

Belgrade didn't last as long as I expected. Given the forces in the area, I was wondering if something along the lines of the siege of Budapest might develop. A quick rush now across Slovenia to threaten both Vienna and northern Italy, and I don't think the axis can deal with both threats. It might be time for the Italian communists to start thinking about what they can do to assist the Red Army.

They are actually pretty strong on that Bratislava-Wien sector, in part I let them retake anything they seem to want, but the rivers and cities make it hard to attack from the south. The key to that is when 3 Army clears the upper Oder and then pushes south, their entire front is either in a pocket or badly unhinged.

It'll take me a little while to get into N Italy - mainly as at the end of the Yugoslav battles I've got units spread across the Balkans and it takes a while to reorganise, but also I'm prioritising North Germany so this sector can stay static and not add to my supply woes.

I have a feeling that in this particular iteration of history Comrade Tito won't have much of a choice but to toe the line.

I'd agree - its not as if he can point Stalin in the direction of a large army in control of most of the centre of the country and relatively well equipped with captured heavy weapons, so he's lost most of his negotiating strength and has to settle for being installed by the Red Army rather than his own efforts.

The Red menace descends over Europe, will we see the day when the darkness retreat, or even collapses?
I do not foresee that Stalin will give up whatever falls into his hands and for now that will be most of Europe, with the rest easily collapsing as a house of cards if he so wishes. The remaining allies will not be able to stop the Soviets unless the USA joins the fray and that does not look likely.

- Diary of Churchill in exile.

As above, I've started jotting down ideas for a couple of alt-history style posts once the fighting is over. My instinct is that the Soviets couldn't rule all they are going to conquer by force and/or direct repression. So, even if the power relations are unbalanced, there is still a degree of negotiation. Add in the very different histories of the bigger West European Communist Parties and you have a lot of scope for friction.

As to Churchill, at this stage I'm not even sure that Stalin will let him home ... I'm planning a very different 'Potsdam Conference' to the one that actually happened (& I'll use that to catch up on events in the rest of the world)

Next stop: Paris! :happy:
No,next stop Berlin and then the Red Army will go to Paris

Yep, mere considerations of geography make Berlin next ... but it does become a bit of a pan-european tour for the Red Army (& then we get to visit other continents too)

Hehe... Europe is yours!

almost ... this is where it was a pity the UK collapsed back in early 41. It probably made Barbarossa harder (& thus a better game), but at this stage some tension about the future of Europe would be interesting.

"Remembered if Outlived": The Northern Balkans June 1944

With the fall of Beograd, the Soviet pressure on what was left of the Axis forces in the northen Balkans intensified. The elements that had been in action to the east of Beograd raced to reinforce Soviet positions in Western Hungary, Croatia, driving for the Adriatic or launched a new offensive aimed at Axis forces defending the line of the Sava and Drina to the west of Beograd.

(Soviet attack in North West Croatia)

Both sides were stretched and the result was a campaign of meeting engagements and movement rather than set piece assaults. The difference was the Soviet forces had massive numerical superiority and had effectively broken the axis forces into two separated blocks. One scattered across Central Yugoslavia and the other, in a more ordered front, defending Zagreb and Western Hungary.

In an attempt to complete the separation of the Axis forces, elements of 26 Army drove towards Split reaching town on 5 June. However, Soviet control of the roads behind the spearhead was weak and the Germans briefly restored their communications at Sinj on 12 June only for a Soviet force to retake the town from 12-13 June, linking back up with the beleagured force at Split.

With this, 26 Army held the narrow spearhead and tried to push westwards while 23 Army from the north and 5 Army from the east sought to breach the hurried German defense lines anchored on the Drina and Sava. Once 23 Army was over the Drina and 5 Army freed from the battle at Beograd, the German line fractured into a series of isolated engagements. The engagement at Doboj was the last chance for the bulk of the axis forces to break out.

Here they initially hit a weakly held sector and 9 days elements of 23 Army fought tenaciously to hold the line. By the time the Germans finally forced their way into the town, Soviet forces had driven further west and more units were deployed in the sector. A town they had taken with so much effort was retaken in less than an hour on 14 June.

(I've added the surrounding in-game map as it shows how far west I pushed while they were trying to break out ... and why the AI gave up such a hard won gain so easily)

Denied the chance to break out westward, the majority of Axis forces fell back into Southern Yugoslavia where the still powerful grouping in Albania and Northern Greece was fending off Soviet and Bulgarian forces. Here and there, isolated pockets formed such as at Konjic.

By the 24 June, the Yugoslav regime and army collapsed.

What was left of their armed forces in the Balkans simply deserted and the leadership fled to Wien. This was a signal for a general partisan revolt in Western Croatia and Slovenia.

(the ill-fated partisan uprising in Slovenia, the Soviet forces in the sector were too weak to intervene before the Germans crushed the revolt)

However, German and Italian resistance was effective enough to hold off 4 Army and by the end of the month most of the region was back in Axis hands.

(this shows the extent of the region I briefly gained with the fall of Yugoslavia, but was unable to retain most of it)

The main gain was the destruction of a sizeable grouping of Italian forces at Zadar by 2 July.

Although Zadar was easily defensible with the few access roads running through the karst region with its impenetrable limestone walls, they were cut off from resupply by a combination of Soviet submarines braving the shallow waters of the Northern Adriatic and the intervention of converted fishing vessels commandered by Yugoslav Partisans.

(Yugoslav partisans interdicting Italian resupply efforts at Zadar)

In the meantime, 26 Army and 23 Army in Hungary and Slovakia made some progress towards Bratislava. In reality, Stavka placed no importance on this sector, preferring to prioritise the destruction of Yugoslavia and the result was some minor German gains as Soviet forces ceded gound.

(July was to see even more of such scenes of celebration as the Red Army dealt a mortal blow to the European Axis powers)

Across this part of the front, Soviet losses amounted to 31,707, the Germans and their allies lost 56,755 and a further 32,596 prisoners (mostly at Zadar). In addition, the entire Yugoslav army effectively deserted, in total another 15 divisions had been removed from their order of battle and the remnants of the force that had held the Soviets so long in Rumania were trapped in isolated pockets in Albania or Northern Greece or grimly preparing to face a renewed Soviet offensive aimed at Austria and Northern Italy.

As the main elements of the Soviet forces redeployed yet again, this time to launch an offensive into Austria and Italy, Stavka dispatched more units to the Far East. The balance of 3 Tank Army was allocated to the Trans-Baikal Front, the independent 12 Mechanized Corps and 9 Army to the Vladivostock sector.

Faced with the reality of renewed Japanese gains, especially now that Siam had joined the war, in South East and Central Asia Stavka was starting to make plans for a war in the Far East even before the war in Europe was won.

Note: In this period my OOB was a complete mess as I was pushing units from the eastern to the western Balkans with no regard to their notional alignment. Thus at the start of June, 26 Army was in charge of all of the NW Croatian battles but by the end it was placed north of Lake Balaton, and bits of 2 and 4 Armies were on the Adriatic coast.

Last edited:
If I were the British I'd have made concerted efforts to sort out the Japanese in Western China and possibly even Siberia. I'm not sure they'd be able to do much, but at least they'd show their worth as allies. As it is, the Far East is just another mess for the Soviet Union to clear up alone.

Somewhat fitting that Split was the coastal town you took to cut the Balkans in half. :D

The Axis forces in the Balkans are essentially history. Life aquatic? I'd be happy to lead the forces if it means a stop over at Riviera Maya for a few days - isn't Mexico in the Comintern now?

If I were the British I'd have made concerted efforts to sort out the Japanese in Western China and possibly even Siberia. I'm not sure they'd be able to do much, but at least they'd show their worth as allies. As it is, the Far East is just another mess for the Soviet Union to clear up alone.

Somewhat fitting that Split was the coastal town you took to cut the Balkans in half. :D

actually to make it worse, they get thrown back in China and Eastern Libya and lose most of Malaya ... they really aren't making a strong case for being seen as at all useful. As to Split, I must confess I had to deliberately restrain myself from making that particular point - it was indeed a good place to break up the German formations in the Balkans.

It must be nice that you can afford to send mechanized and tank armies off to the far east for rest and relaxation. What happening up north?

Well 3 TA in particular would be useless in the mountains of N Italy and Austria and I have plenty of armour in Germany to handle whats left of the Panzers so it seemed a good use. Medium Tanks against Japanese and Manchurian forces is the sort of odds I fancy.

One more post and then a lot on the battles first to reach the Oder and then of Berlin itself.

The Axis forces in the Balkans are essentially history. Life aquatic? I'd be happy to lead the forces if it means a stop over at Riviera Maya for a few days - isn't Mexico in the Comintern now?

Its heading my way, as is Venezuela, it doesn't actually join till early in 1945, but then I didn't want it to actually join till I was in a position to protect it.

Ok, next post wraps up the Balkan campaign, it conflates quite a long time period but not too much happened in that sector.

"And that is Death", The Greek-Albanian Campaign May-August 1944

At the start of May, the Soviet forces in the region were a scattering of regular rifle divisions, augmented by cavalry, paratroop and marine units. As the Germans had 3 Panzer divisions (9, 15 and 18) in the sector this meant that progress was slow till reinforcements arrived after 5 Army had cleared the German forces from Moldavia.

In Greece, the German offensive was held at the hard fought battle of Kastoria from 8 to 24 May. As fresh units were slowly fed into the line the German attack stalled and their offensive was badly disrupted when 3 Bessarabian Cavalry division, assisted by local partisans infiltrated their lines and took the port of Kerkyra. However, with their retreat route cut by a German counterattack, the lightly armed cavalry, even aided by the VVS, were unable to hold the port and from 21-24 May were attacked from all sides.

It was to be the last encirclement suffered by the Red Army in Europe and at the end of the battle the Soviets had lost 554 dead and 4.154 prisoners (a small number of men escaped to the mountains to fight with the local ELAS partisans).

However, with fresh forces in the sector, the balance of forces changed. The first Soviet counterattack at Thesprotko from 8-14 June ended in failure, but it was also sufficient to force the Germans permanently over to the defense. With the threat of any large scale breakout removed, Stavka ordered 18 Army to concentrate on reducing the German positions in Albania.

Here Soviet and Bulgarian units had beaten off the German attacks in May at Vlasotince (1-8) and Medveda (18-21) despite relatively heavy losses, but in doing so, secured Soviet control over southern Yugoslavia. As in Greece, the first attempts to regain the initiative ended in heavy defeats around Kursumilja (24-29) but elsewhere the Germans were gradually forced back into Albania.

(Soviet infantry in action around Medveda)

Using the remnants of their Panzer divisions, the Germans tried to regain the initiative at Presevo and Medveda, but by 3 June the Germans were forced to pull back. With the situation in central Yugoslavia fast changing as Soviet forces drove in the German lines south of Beograd, they were forced over to the defense.

Some units fell back into Greece, but the loss of Vlore (24 June) and Tirane (4 July) were critical in breaking up the German front into smaller and smaller pockets.

July saw their last organised attack in a desparate attempt to regain Tirane. From 4-20 July they tried to retake the vital port only to suffer massive losses as fresh Soviet units moved into the town. With this victory, briefly 18 Army went over to the defense as well.

With the German units running short on supply and with the demoralising news of Soviet victories in Germany and Italy being broadcast to the surrounded Axis forces, the Soviets were prepared to wait.

Finally on the 13 August, at Pramanta

and 16 August at Ulcinj, 18 Army struck.

By 21 August, the last axis forces in the Balkans were eliminated and 75,494 survivors surrendered.

(the famous charge by 17 Cavalry at Ulcinj, demoralised the last organised Axis resistance and exacted revenge for the loss of 3 Bessarabian at Kerkyra)

In total, the May-August battles cost 18 Army 41,709 dead or taken prisoner. Axis losses amounted to 116,761.

With the steadily worsening relations with Turkey, Stavka ordered 18 Army first to refit in Bulgaria and then deploy to the Turkish border. The Marines were allocated to the Italian campaign and the Paratroopers had been dispatched to the Far East as far back as June.

that would be one of the dumbest things Turkey could do. They may feel the 'threat' of the USSR, but there should be a 'fear' factor too. They would be attacked from both sides. Greece on the west, and the caucuses in the east.

Unless this is an attempt by uncle Joe to 'encourage' them to go to war, now that Germany is mostly on the ropes.

BTW, what are you spending all your IC on these days? I'd guess lots of navy and air units, due to your manpower problems?

BTW, what are you spending all your IC on these days? I'd guess lots of navy and air units, due to your manpower problems?

I believe he's busy building a navy to support operations against the Axis menace in South America.

The frontlines from May to July (or August) really tell it all - utter collapse of the German position in the Balkans. They lost a lot of troops, whether through encirclement, destruction or desertion and even with the shorter (mountainous) frontline, they must be a lot weaker off than before.

When you talk about the 'Slovakian' revolt, do you really mean the 'Slovenian' revolt? ;) It's nitpicking, I know, but my degree is in Geography, after all...

that would be one of the dumbest things Turkey could do. They may feel the 'threat' of the USSR, but there should be a 'fear' factor too. They would be attacked from both sides. Greece on the west, and the caucuses in the east.

If they are, then it's pretty much the same as happened with Finland earlier in the game. Some sort of 'fear factor' would make sense in this situation. It's not like Turkey would be doing anything but committing suicide by declaring war on the Soviets right now.

actually to make it worse, they get thrown back in China and Eastern Libya and lose most of Malaya ... they really aren't making a strong case for being seen as at all useful. As to Split, I must confess I had to deliberately restrain myself from making that particular point - it was indeed a good place to break up the German formations in the Balkans.

I am ashamed for my country. They're losing to the Italians.

And, on the main post, I agree that it would be pretty stupid for Turkey to start something now. I'm a bit doubtful about your intentions with your marines. Unless by "the Italian campaign" you mean they're going to join the front in the Northern Balkans, I'd be rather reluctant to employ them in landings against Italy proper. The Italian navy is not weak. Although it occurs to me that you may mean using them against axis held islands in the eastern Med, which should be safer.