• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A bit of a dry update today, succession, fiscal reforms, et cetera. No chance of a pretty picture or map with any of that. (Well, actually, I spent hours in photoshop trying to turn that round CK portrait into a coin, but it came out horrid). So, to make up for that, an awesome song that made me revive this, Miklagard Overture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwekhqAdYd8.
Also, a couple of questions for the readers:

Is there a CK to HTTT converter that does dynasties properly yet? There wasn't when this game was finished, and abandoning the Komnenos after all these years is no fun.

And where can I find some nice byzantine-tastic art to mutilate in photoshop? The only decent portrait of an emperor I can find is Basil II, and they can't all look like him.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Reforms of Emperor Alexios

The military successes of the Imperial Army have allowed Alexios to reform many key parts of Imperial government over the course of his reign. Most of these reforms, however, should not be seen as a revolutionary break from the policies of the Macedonian dynasty, but as further evolution of the government in a larger, richer Empire.

Coinage reform

This was the first major reform of Alexios, enacted just after the situation on the eastern frontier stabilized. The solidus, somewhat debased by Michael VII, was returned to its traditional weight, purity and shape. The miliaresion was struck at 100 to the pound, and its silver content was returned to the levels from the reign of Basil II. These reforms formed the basis of economic stability and the prosperity of the Empire under Alexios’ successors.

Imperial succession

In 1094, near the end of his reign, Alexios formalized the previously tumultuous process of Imperial succession. Henceforth, the Emperor was to be selected by the Senate out of the last Emperor’s adult sons. This system, however, did not outlive Alexios for long, as his son, Emperor Eusebios, only had one son, Theodoros (known as Caligula II), who, characteristically, took the law to mean that he had the right to order the Senate which one of his male descendants to crown Emperor, and bypassed his son in favor of his grandson. Many past historians have blamed Alexios for the quick disintegration of his system, and laid the blame for the tumultuous years following the death of St. Zeno II at his feet. This interpretation, however, ignores the fact that that was the only succession crisis for several centuries after Alexios’ death, and that the only other violation of the letter of his law was the removal and subsequent elimination of Basil III the Mad.

Administrative reforms

The major reform of Alexios has to deal with administration of the themes. Under him, the office of the Praetor became more and more powerful, until, towards the end of the reign, Praetors gained the right to appoint the strategos of the theme themselves, although the appointment was still subject to the Emperor’s approval. The office of the Praetor also began its transformation to a hereditary office under Alexios. In theory, the Emperors still retained the right to appoint and remove Praetors at will, but in practice this right was exercised less and less under the Komnenian emperors. Notable exceptions include cases of inheritance of several posts by one man: one of the themes in question would then be reassigned to another man (usually a relative of the Emperor, particularly after Theodoros). Thus, while the Empire underwent some feudalization in the 11th – 13th centuries, the degree of feudalization was nowhere near that of Frankish Europe, as there were no feudal contracts and no possibility of a powerful vassal assembling a feudal army that could threaten the Emperor’s rule. Rebellions happened, of course, but none ever reached the severity of the civil wars that periodically shook the Eastern Frankish Empire.

On the night of 18th March 1107, Emperor Alexios died quietly in his sleep. Two days later the Senate proclaimed his son Eusebios Emperor.

Last edited:
Heh...people not respecting succession laws...surely a novelty in medieval Europe...

My kingdom to the strongest? :cool:
Kratos!

Of course not! What are we, Vikings?
(Except in gameplay terms, where we are very much like Vikings)

Heh...people not respecting succession laws...surely a novelty in medieval Europe...

Actually, what will be even more fun for me is trying to come up with a valid reason why the law got respected as much as it did given that I gave half the Empire to close relatives.

I am merely going to assume your Alexios is not like our Alexios. (I.E., a back-stabbing, corrupt bastard)

He is probably exactly the same, but the history you're reading is written by Byzantines. There will be even more blatant bias as we go on.

And now, update!

Chapter VI - Expasion under Alexios' successors, 1107 - 1189

The reign of Emperor Eusebios

Eusebios was born to Alexios Komnenos and his wife, Thomais on February 4th, 1068. He was 5 when Alexios was proclaimed Emperor. In 1086, at age 18, he was proclaimed Kaisar and given his father’s old Theme of Paphlagonia. For the next 20 years, he split his time between his theme and Constantinople, briefly assuming administrative control of the Empire during Alexios’ campaigns in Italy. It came to no one’s surprise that the Senate elected him Emperor following Alexios’ death in 1107. His short reign is mostly notable for his series of wars in Northern Italy, although he failed to recover Rome itself.

Northern Italy at the time was controlled by a patchwork of petty principalities and merchant republics all nominally vassals to the Eastern Frankish Empire. However, at the time the Latin Empire was in a massive civil war, precipitated by dynastic ambitions of the major princes in the empire and a dispute between the emperor and the Patriarch of Rome over appointments of bishops and coronation ceremonies. This civil war ensured that the reconquest of Northern Italy from Lombard princes proved easy, as the emperor Henry IV could do nothing but send strongly worded letters to Constantinople. In the end, elimination of the North Italian principalities proved beneficial for the Latin Empire as well, since after their loss, the empire quickly coalesced into a smaller, more centralized German state. However, emperor Henry was not fortunate enough to see any of this.

The other notable event of Eusebios’ reign was his appointment of his brother, Stauracius, as the praetor of Paphlagonia. This appointment is an early example of what would later turn into an Empire-wide policy: the appointment of the Emperor’s relatives to the increasingly hereditary governorships of the themes. By the 14th century this resulted in all of the Imperial possessions in Western Europe, as well as the themes in Africa and Illyricum being ruled by members of various cadet branches of the Komnenos Dynasty.

Emperor Eusebios died in 1115, at the age of 47, of a fever, before he could complete his reconquest of Northern Italy. At the time, the Archbishopric of Lucca and the lands of the Patriarch of Rome were still independent. The senate proclaimed his only son, Theodoros, Emperor, inaugurating an era of brutal military expansion and even more brutal court politics.

eusebios.jpg

Emperor Eusebios, contemporary mosaic

Last edited:
I like how unstoppable the Byzantines become with a little leadership :D

Is the senates approval really needed?
The place is anyway crowded with guards loyal to the heir when the old one dies. :D

Not really, but when you ignore and abuse the senate they tend to write really mean things about you in their historical works.

I like how unstoppable the Byzantines become with a little leadership :D

A little leadership and loyal native troops go a long way :)

And now, for the exciting adventures of Theodoros "Caligula II"

The Age of Theodoros

Once every century an Emperor ascends the throne who leaves a deep and sometimes enigmatic impact on history. Theodoros is definitely one of those Emperors. All contemporary sources paint him as a monster, the worst calamity to befall the Empire since the Arab invasions. Yet militarily he was remarkably successful, recovering the Exarchate of Carthage, conquering the kingdom of Croatia and, most importantly, finishing his father’s wars in Italy and restoring Rome to the Empire. In the eyes of the senatorial and church elites however, all of this pales in comparison to his arbitrary and autocratic ways of handling internal policy. The entire world was shocked by his treatment of the Patriarch of Rome, Victor IV, when Victor was surrendering the city to him: he was stripped of his clothes and savagely beaten by the Emperor’s guards before being brought before the Emperor and being forced to beg for his life at his feet. Although the Pope was granted pardon and released, he was stripped of his title as the Emperor appointed his cousin the new Patriarch of Rome. This helped deepen the Great Schism of 1054, as the Christians of the west outside of the Imperial borders refused to acknowledge the Emperor’s authority over the See of Rome. Eventually, “The True Bishop of Rome” was invested in Munich. This resulted in an incident years later in Croatia, where the Emperor, while attending Mass in Zagreb, heard the heretical filoque in the Latin version of the Nicene Creed used in liturgy. Apparently wishing to be seen as pious (something he tried to do for the rest of his life after the surrender of Rome), he left in the middle of mass with his retinue and any high ranking Roman officials, ordered his guards to bar the doors and set fire to the church. This led to a massive rebellion in newly conquered Croatia that took two years to suppress. The Emperor, claiming to be combating heresy, had every rebel combatant taken prisoner impaled throughout the course of the rebellion. However, after the rebellion Croatia was firmly in Imperial possession.

1200mapj.png

legendiq.jpg

Map of Imperial expansion compiled under St. Zeno II. This version is a 18th century reprint.

Last edited:
I like the map; pretty elegant.

You can make it fit with the background (no white) if you cut and transparent-fill in, say, Paint.NET. Makes it look like you have aged paper on the forum background.

I like the map; pretty elegant.

You can make it fit with the background (no white) if you cut and transparent-fill in, say, Paint.NET. Makes it look like you have aged paper on the forum background.

Never thought the forum would support something like this. Looks great, many thanks for the tip!

Maybe you could also add the reigning years to the map?

Not to the map (too lazy), but I'm going to add them to the table of contents. The AAR is due for some bookkeeping anyways. So I'll set up the ToC, brush up the nomenclature (I need to come up with a consistent name for the Holy Roman Empire that's suitably condescending) and then update.

Beautiful map. And Theodoros sounds just a tad "cranky..." I'm interested in some of these other emperors too... south France and North Africa regained, but no Egypt? Interesting...

Beautiful map. And Theodoros sounds just a tad "cranky..." I'm interested in some of these other emperors too... south France and North Africa regained, but no Egypt? Interesting...

Thanks for the compliment!
As for the weird borders, they have mostly gameplay reasons. The Crusaders were eating Egypt and Palestine, and I wanted to see where that would go, so I let them be. Spanish muslims, in turn, were eating southern France, something I had to put a stop to. I'm still thinking of a valid stroy-explanation for that.

And now, finally, update.

Italian campaigns of Emperor Theodoros

The most pressing military concern upon the succession of Theodoros was the completion of the conquest of Northern Italy and the settlement of affairs there. Rome, the ancient capital, was still under barbarian control and the independent Archbishopric of Lucca still reigned over parts of Etruria. Theodoros led the army of the Theme of Sicily, numbering some 25000 men into the lands of Lucca in 1116 and promptly received the surrender of Archbishop Fresco, who hoped to maintain his administrative control in return. Theodoros accepted the surrender, and then proceeded to strip Fresco of his lands and titles. A new bishop was appointed from Constantinople.

In 1117, Theodoros was apprehensive about taking the next step in the Italian Wars. The Patriarch of Rome was at the height of his power at the time, and claimed supremacy over the Frankish emperor and independence from, if not supremacy over, the Roman Emperor. His meddling has thrown the Eastern Frankish Empire into the massive civil war that allowed the recovery of Northern Italy. In addition, several years prior, in 1113, Pope Victor IV had called for the christians to stop their mutual wars and unify to recover the kingdoms of northern Hispania that have recently fallen to the Andalusian muslims. This Crusade eventually proved a disaster, with most of Aquitania being lost before the Imperial intervention, but at the time, it looked like the combined might of Latin Europe would easily drive the Andalusians from the Pyrenees. Theodoros did not want these hosts diverted into Italy instead, and thus bided his time. In 1121, when the First Crusade was already engaged in Hispania, Theodoros struck. The attack was well timed, Rome fell quickly and the matter was settled before the kings of Western Europe had time to react. Had Theodoros treated the Pope with respect, the gradual rift between Latin and Roman Churches might have been healed there especially as it were the Kingdoms in Hispania that were the center of the filoque heresy. This was not to be. The Pope was abused by the Emperor, and the rift became the Great Schism. Luckily for the Emperor, the Eastern Frankish Empire was collapsing and the Kingdoms of Western Franks and Anglia were too busy with the 1st Crusade and his behavior had no immediate military consequences. After 370 years, Italy was again firmly in Imperial hands.

theon.jpg

"The surrender of Pope Victor to Emperor Theodoros", an 18th century painting.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it's normal for fictional Rome-conquering Byzantine Emperors to not play nice with the Pope (I mean, if they occupy Rome, what good Roman would not be offended :p)

VILenin might have been the last one I've read that tried to reconcile from the get-go.

"Eastern Franks" - who is that? The HRE?

Yeah, I think it's normal for fictional Rome-conquering Byzantine Emperors to not play nice with the Pope (I mean, if they occupy Rome, what good Roman would not be offended :p)

VILenin might have been the last one I've read that tried to reconcile from the get-go.

"Eastern Franks" - who is that? The HRE?

Probably. His map has Germany labeled as "Franks," and the Byzantines probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between French, German, and English peoples.