Stellaris Dev Diary #221 - Balance and Quality of Life Improvements

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Weren't the assembly job changes to Hive/Machine worlds already implemented? Or am i missing something here.

I've just doubled checked and so they were! My apologies, turns out the tools we use picked up these changes as well and these been so much added in 3.1 I've lost track. :D

Last edited:
  • 21Haha
  • 10Like
Reactions:
Is that a strict list or something that depends on a scripted trigger for habitable megastructures (for happiness non-penalty part)? Would be really nice if the latter since it would be nice to have void dwellers still-happy while living on modded megastructures

The void dweller trait uses the following:

Code:
    triggered_pop_modifier = {
        potential = {
            exists = planet
            planet = { is_artificial = no }
        }
        pop_happiness = -0.3
    }
    modifier = {
        habitat_jobs_produces_mult = 0.15
        non_artificial_planet_jobs_produces_mult = -0.15
        pop_growth_speed = -0.1
    }

and the modifiers are defined in the economic categories file

Code:
    triggered_produces_modifier = {
        key = habitat_jobs
        modifier_types = {
            mult
        }
        trigger = {
            exists = planet
            planet = { is_planet_class = pc_habitat }
        }
    }

triggered_produces_modifier = {
        key = non_artificial_planet_jobs
        modifier_types = {
            mult
        }
        trigger = {
            exists = planet
            planet = { is_artificial = no }
        }
    }

Will Scrap Miners benefit from the mining techs?

They count as miners for all purposes, so they'll even benefit from the Mining Guilds civic.

I was hoping for Agrarian Idyll to get some buffs or at least lift the shattered ring exclusion so we can take it. I agree that it sounded overpowered to get tons of amenities for almost free, but with these tweaks shattered rings become similar to regular planets in terms of districts.

As for the contents of the DD, it's an amazing job. I welcome them tweaks. Very nice stuff are in there. Love you guys and gals.

Cheers~

Glad you like the changes. Will bring up removing the restriction on Agrarian Idyll to the rest of the team.

For rogue servitors, could it be made possible for bio trophies to auto resettle? With rogue servitors now having access to ecumenopolis with a special district for trophies, the optimal way to play would be to grow them on each of your planets, and then move them to the ecumenopolis. I could see this being rather tedious. If it could be made automatic, it would be a nice balance change.

If you change their species rights from "Migration Controls Enabled" to "No Migration Controls" they should auto-resettle in 3.0 if I recall correctly; if not drop a bug report.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Just had a thought: now that Shattered Ring has been nerfed into the stone age, does it still remove guaranteed habitables and change habitability? Because I'm not sure either of those are necessary given that the ringworld start is now basically just another planet.

What about Feudal Society, which is one of the worst civics that doesn't really work right now? Is there a way to make it so that vassals under this Civic regain the AI resource boosts that they normally lose when they become a vassal?

So some of the values of the most used civics are changed again. This is good, but when are the worst civics and traits ever gonna get some buffs? All the civics and traits related to ground combat are bad picks and have always been bad picks because they are too situational. There are also traits that have always been bad picks and too few negative traits so you constantly see the same negative ones.

The Custodian team will be keep an eye on balance going forward as well, I'm pretty sure this won't be the only set of changes.

I don't think turning off migration controls work. There's an issue in that they occasionally immigrate/resettle to worlds without Biotrophy jobs, tomb worlds (or other unsuitable worlds that your trying to industrialize), or are actively undergoing terraforming into a Machine World (which kills them).

If you've got bio-trophies auto-migrating to places that don't have bio-trophy jobs can you file a bug report with the save please and we'll get that looked at.

• 10Like
Reactions:
1. Introduce research districts for this origin. If the restored ringworld will have research segments, but the player has already built many labs, then what's the point of getting the research segments anyway.
2. Reduce the restore cost - even without the tech requirement, 10000 alloys would be a massive investment. Or look at Stefan's perfectly balanced mod and do something similar.
3. Give bonus to ringworlds in general for pop growth and job output etc, so that there is some utility for the investment of 10000 alloys ( +15000 alloys for someone building it from scratch)

One of the goals of this redesign was to remove the research districts that shattered rings started with. Regarding the other points, we'll be keeping an eye on balance and player feedback. I've got some suggestions in mind to the rest of the team if this ends up having been too much of a nerf.

Any chance on a fix for synth auto resettlement? If you have synths in your empire, you don't have the option to turn off migration controls, so they can never auto resettle (except for your main species if you synth ascend).

Having 50+ levels of repeatables in shields/armor/damage over your potential enemies is pretty strong.

Drop us a bug report please.

These jobs do get the bonus from those +20% mining techs, right?

Do they also get +20% alloys from those techs? The techs currently say "minerals".
Minerals only. Though the purification hub building does give them additional alloys (+0.5 per scrap miner instead of the +1 mineral per miner).

For those who are curious about scrap miner efficiency. here's a spreadsheet.
(Check the second page for comparisons!)

Significant benefits early game. And surprisingly well rounded late game. You'll be a little better at alloy rushing, gaining effectively 20% more alloys, give or take the build.

Cheers, will give this a look. Lemme know if you end up making a similar sheet for Catalytics ;)

Reactions:
And pretty boring. Also completely pointless given the current (and past) AI.

Would you please also elaborate why? What was the issue YOU perceived with them that warranted removal?

Right now we can only guess at your (the entire paradox Stellaris team) thought process, the basis for changes and even if you paly a game that in any way resembles our experiences.
Frankly I think adding motivations behind the changes allows us as the people playing this game to gvie much better feedback where it helps.

And also please consider that a lot of the complaints aren't about the power of the origina, but the fun, differences it introduces to the gameplay and the story flavor of the origin.

I'll quote the dev diary were we first discussed our ideas for balance changes for the future, since our Game Director did a far better job of explaining than I would.

Game Balance
We’re going to take a look at reworking some of the major outstanding balance issues that we’re having.

One example that I want to talk about is the issue with Research Booming, where power players can essentially outpace other empires due to focusing a lot on research. What enables this is usually Districts that provide Researcher Jobs, which is relatively easy to gain access to early on through Origins such as Shattered Ring or Void Dwellers (the latter not being nearly as strong).

For Shattered Ring we are looking into changing the start from a pure “end-game” Ring World, to be more of an actual “Shattered Ring” that you need to repair before you gain access to the powerful Districts of the Ring World. Putting additional emphasis on the fantasy of restoring this ancient megastructure to its former glory can be a fun addition to the Origin itself. Although we haven’t decided exactly what we’re doing, changing the start to be a Shattered Ring that you can restore with the Mega-Engineering technology is a likely route.

Reactions: