• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
Hi folks, I hope you have all had a nice and relaxing holiday! However, just in case you didn’t, let me take the edge off your existential angst with some soothing talk about the next expansion for Crusader Kings II; a little thing we eventually decided to call Conclave...

As you know, most of CK2’s expansions have “widened” the gameplay by unlocking new regions of the map and making various religions playable. You can now start the game in widely different cultural spheres for a great variety of different experiences; “Fifty Shades of Dark”, if you will. Meanwhile, we have gradually improved the core gameplay in patches (e.g. the technology system), but rarely in any radical way. Whenever we did try to “deepen” the core gameplay in an expansion, it often turned out to be a mistake: The Retinue mechanic of Legacy of Rome should, for example, have been a part of the base game so we could have kept building upon it.

Even so, it is high time that we addressed some of the major shortcomings of the strategy game that underpins the RPG experience. In particular, CK2 suffers from a kind of inverse difficulty progression; it is hard in the beginning and easy in the mid-to-late game. This is a great shame, because one of the main points of the whole feudal hierarchy mechanic - the need to rely on vassals - was to make it hard to maintain stable large Realms. So, my first and foremost intention with Conclave was to increase the challenge of the mid-to-late game. This was the general plan of action:

• Reduce the “positive opinion inflation” of vassals vs their liege. (We ended up cutting many important positive opinion modifiers in half.)
  • Highlight the most powerful vassals by making them strongly desire a Council seat.
  • Give the Council more power without reducing player agency. (You are free to disregard the Council’s suggestions, but this will have ramifications on Factions. More on this later...)
  • Introduce Infamy and Coalitions against aggressively expanding Realms.
  • Improve the alliance mechanic to make it a more intentional choice. (A royal marriage is now simply a non-aggression pact. Alliance is the second step, but still requires a marriage.)
  • Improve the diplomatic AI in order to contain “blobs” (with the help of the above Alliance and Coalition systems.)
  • Bring the military AI to a whole new level.
  • Make it harder to quickly win wars through one or two major engagements. (Hence, we reduced the bloodiness of battles overall, introduced “shattered retreats” and made armies reinforce in friendly territory.)
Crusader Kings II - Conclave - Obligations.jpg

Thus, the features of Conclave and the accompanying patch are a combination of internal and external measures to make blobbing harder. This intention had ripple effects on other mechanics. For example, malcontents now tend to gang up into fewer but more powerful Factions, and we reworked the Law Screen while we were adding the new Council Power laws.

Crusader Kings II - Conclave - Council.jpg

We also took this opportunity to address an unrelated weakness in the game, namely the education of children. If you have the expansion, that whole experience should now be more interesting…

That’s all for now, stay tuned for the details!

Reactions:
Coalitions might be interesting, I just hope they are moddable enough, the nomads were nearly as hardcoded as the republics, which was a shame. But unmoddable coalitions might have the potential to screw several fantasy mods.

Reactions:
Oh, forgot to mention: Does anyone else think, with "The Council" being capitalized and in a different font color, it feels as if it should be followed by an overly dramatic "Dun dun duuuun!"? Or perhaps a dramtic pause between the rest of the sentence and those words? "He expects to be on ... The Council. Dun dun duuuun!"

Edit:
Seriously, that tooltip just makes me chuckle.

I'll try and remember to add a sound effect for that :D

Reactions:
Reminds me, I have to start a new campaign in DF....

Reactions:
Multiplayer.jpg
Privilege of being a dev.
Long live Prutt-Bert the Drunkard of the Guideschi! Long may he reign!

My own council hates my guts and that bastard the King of Italy, Frédéric of the Karlings still will not let me into his Council. He fears the strength the duke of Spoleto has on the Italian Peninsula. I'll have to settle for taking the Sicilian island of the hands of the Mohammedans.

Update:
Rageair has formed the Sunni Empire of Jardarus which borders the mighty Knytling Kingdom of Denmark ruled by the Aesir worshipping King Knut.
jardarus.jpg

And I finished my reclamation of Sicily and handed it out to be ruled by my younger brother Fjant-Frants. Now since the King of Italy still refuses to give me my place in the council its time to start plotting to create my own Kingdom of Sicily....That fool will regret the day he refused my will!
sicily.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think you guys messed up on the alert art. In the vanilla alerts the stain glass goes into the focal item but in the new ones it doesn't. It makes them look like they pop out more. You can easily fix it by just adding a few black lines into the focal item.

Nice spot, fixed now.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Oh, ye mighty lord! Groog the Bear, hear our cry! Even the Allfather pales in comparison to your divine mandate! What is the ETA?!
Soon my child, soon.

Reactions:
Wait, what was the issue here that Groogy fixed? I don't quite follow.
@klopkr noticed the style of the icons weren't consistent. So I told our artist about it. I for certain didn't fix it or else it would all be pink, a smiley or really poorly drawn horse. (in the beginning of Horse Lords me and Carolus Magnus painted horses all over the interface, nice little trivia)

Reactions:
Kinda makes you wanna jump on a boat and go to England doesn't it @Birken?

Reactions:
Got my play list ready for when we go out raiding again.

tXg2vwy.png

:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: