• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the originial game we focused on getting the Christian world right, for the future...who knows.

Merged threads, we dont need more than one thread on the same thing.

I like the game and all, but this was a pretty clear decision in order to be able to sell a DLC down the road. In the Demo, the "exploit" allowed one to play Muslims and Pagans, however they have now hardcoded it so that it is impossible without cheats to load up as one at all. The fact that they didn't include it? Mildly irritating, but fair enough. The fact that they purposely hardcoded it in so that it was unmoddable? Indefensible.

We fixed a bug that let you play as religions we didn't design to be playable? How terrible of us!

Yes, wanting to play states and characters that are already in the game inevitably leads to demands that the map be expanded.

If you think that is far-fetched you could always check out the early threads in teh Sengoku forum...

Are you seriously arguing that because many people are happy with the game as is, those who want a particular feature/bugfix/expansion should not agitate for it?

There's a difference between arguing and agitating for a change. There's also a difference between suggesting changes and saying that we removed features from the game to screw our customers.

But I won't be impressed if Johan gets his way and we never get playable Muslims.

Why do you assume Johan is involved or is at all against adding playable Muslims?

I know not letting you play as anyone on the map is a change from our other games (although not CK1), normally you can play as anyone in the game because it's cool to be able to do so, but this is why many nations don't feel as fleshed out in them. CK2 continues in the footsteps of CK1 and focuses on only one group of playable nations.

Given that CK1 never had an expansion to make Muslims or pagans playable, this statement does not make me confident that such a DLC is indeed inevitable

The reason CK1 never got an expansion was most likely because the base game wasn't profitable enough to warrant one - not because Paradox don't want to add more content and make other factions playable.

Because he said so. Specifically: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?537274-Feeling-a-bit-bummed-out-about-Muslims-and-the-Papacy-being-unplayable&p=12429934&viewfull=1#post12429934
Emphasis mine. Given that CK1 never had an expansion to make Muslims or pagans playable, this statement does not make me confident that such a DLC is indeed inevitable or that Johan is in favour of it (he has made other negative remarks about playable Muslims in other CKII threads as well).

He was talking about the base game there (and that's a rather old post). If you check King's post you just linked to above, he says:
When we come to ship a Muslim DLC (Johan promised this a while back so it is bound to happen)

So it seems a safe bet that you will have a Muslim DLC sooner or later.

Can you add playable religions? That bit would be especially important for a fantasy mod.

Yes:
religion.jpg
Looks like they need to be in the Christian group though. I also though you could add new groups, but that doesn't appear possible. AFAIK (and to add a big disclaimer, I am not on the CK2 team) the intent was not to lock out modders from changing religions, it was just make it impossible to pick Pagans/Muslims on the main screen, so that if you mod/cheat them playable it's entirely clear that it is not a supported feature. Currently you can just cut/past Muslims and Pagans into the Christian group if you want, although obviously that breaks crusades/relations etc.

You completely miss the point, by your logic if Scotland and England were the only playable nations the game would still be "Crusader Kings" and would still be what we brought. In addition, they have made the Muslim nations fine, they work just like all others work but they want to make you pay more for what is there, to fix your point this is like buying a car and paying extra to get the trunk open.

No, it's always been said you can only play Christian nobles. What people finds baffling is there's a game called "Crusader Kings 2" which is advertised with the line "Take on the role of a Christian noble and carry them through the ages from Count to Emperor via the line of succession" and then you get angry when you find you can only play as a Christian noble. Whatever gave you the idea you'd be able to play non-Christians? The quoted line is on our web page, on the game's box, on the Steam store page etc. At no point have we ever said you could play as a non-Christian noble. On a similar note, if you bought a game called "Kings of Scotland and England - A game in which you can only play the aforementioned Kings!" people would be pretty confused if you turned up on the forum to complain you can't play the French. If you just buy random games and then get upset when they don't have the features you imagined they might have you have no one to blame but yourself.

Do you even own CK2? I note you have not registered it.

You assume what we are asking for is Muslim/Pagan play; our argument is that its totally impossible without making Christian play equally impossible which is quite an awkward implementation for modders.

Whether we own CK2 or not is an ad hominem attack, that isn't the point of the debate.

A) I addressed modding on the previous page and was answering a different line of argument altogether, my post was a reply to the post I quoted. Which should be obvious. As a general outline there are 2 issues in this thread: 1) If non-Christians should be playable in the game. 2)How this affects modding.
B) It is not an ad hominem attack, don't be ridiculous. If he, or indeed you, own the game is entirely relevant as it it makes the difference between a customer disappointed with a product he bought and someone picking a fight just for the sake of it. Or, in the case of piracy, it's rather amusing when someone who steals your product accuses you of cutting features so as to sell DLC due to "greed".

You are right about making Muslims/Pagans unplayable since thats not the focus of the game but the way you guys did it makes it hard to create things like fantasy mods (with anything more than 1 religion in them). It's not a huge disappointment I just want to express it so maybe in the future we can get that changed.

Did you read my post #156 on the last page? You certainly can add religions to the Christian group, it's extra religion groups you cannot add, and I said I wasn't sure that was intended. Now I could be wrong, and at the end of the day we have never promised every possible aspect of our games would be moddable, but that wasn't the impression I got the last time I spoke to Doomdark about modding CK. He's keen on the Game of Thrones mod, for example.

But would you look at that, if one was to examine my profile you would find I am in fact not a pirate and do in fact have the right to tell you what I think, even if none of you want to hear it.

But even so, at the end of the day even a pirate would feel robbed.

Great. Of course you don't give any reason why you should feel robbed over the lack of a feature we explicitly said would not be contained in the game.

If it is the case that you guys locked out the creation and playability of new religion groups, well... maybe you guys should considering changing this in a patch.

Well yes, if it wasn't intended I would expect it to be changed, that is what I meant. I just don't want to give a firm answer because I'm not directly involved and so don't know for certain. I'll see if I can find out next week.

Care to justify this statement? Paradox clearly feels differently, or they would not fix bugs and add content through patches.

We don't add new features because we feel the users are entitled to it, but because we want to add new features and because it makes sense from a business perspective to keep supporting your products.

And to be fair this thread is sort of redundant now in general since we have all expressed how we feel on the topic and the devs are aware of our feelings so I wouldn't be bothered if both sides stopped posting.

Agreed, this thread has been running on fumes for a while now. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.