• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Comments?

You're the greatest, Sapura and the Paradox Team!

I know this game will rock my world!!!

But Sapura... Next time you play Sweden you should be more careful!

/Doomie

Sapura,

I noticed in the screenies that you seemed to have had a constant stability of -2 or -3. Does that affect the morale of the troops? Could this be the reason your early wars went so badly?

/Doomie

>Does this answer your question, my Swedish super-hero?

Um yeah, but I am a bit worried about being called a super-hero... :)

Perhaps I should change my username to 'Captain Sweden'. :D

Another question... I assume that the cross symbol in the province view signifies which religion is prevalent in the region. I noticed in the screenshots that Savolaks, which was occupied by the Order when Sweden went through the reformation, was still Catholic when you re-claimed it. Now, how do you go about converting conquered provinces to the true faith?

/Doomie

Just thought I'd slip in an interesting little factoid here, Sapura...

>I would say countries such as France, Sweden, Russia, Prussia (for example) who were much more stable (during this time, 18th century) had much more control over their destiny.

During the 18th century, at least from 1718 and on, Sweden was definitely not politically stable. The death of Charles XII and his failure to protect Sweden from Russia led to a new form of government with a strong parliament and a weak monarch. Two strong parties - the 'Hattar' and 'Mössor' - emerged and started to vie for control. The first was virtually a puppet of France, while the latter was to a lesser degree in England's pocket. The ceaseless bickering and strong foreign influences paralyzed Sweden and made all swift or long-term decisions almost impossible.

So, while Sweden still retained the potential for greatness, it had now started to dance to the pipes of foreign powers.

Now, I am sure that the chaos was even worse in Poland, but in the 18th century, Sweden was no marvel of efficiency either. Ah, if only Axel Oxenstierna had been immortal. :)

/Captain Sweden

Gentlemen,

I think this discussion has touched on the crucial question for all empire builders: How do you suborn and assimilate foreign cultures?

As Greven ('The Count' - interesting nickname :)) pointed out, there are no empirical methods for finding out. However, I think that our stormy history can provide us with some of the answers...

So, for what it's worth, I give you 'Doomdark's Official Guide to Empire Building.' Enjoy! :D

Basic Assumption: If your Empire tolerates vastly different cultures, it is destined to fall apart in the end. Leniency works for awhile, but as soon the empire starts to exhibit signs of weakness, it is torn asunder. To a lesser degree, this is also true of Unions and Federations. (We shall see what happens to the EU... :))

Obstructions:

1) Civilization Factor. If the population of the annexed nation enjoyed a higher standard of living, education and personal freedom outside the Empire, absorption will require enormous brutality. The more advanced the Imperial civilization is compared to the annexed one, the easier the integration will be. Example: The Roman Empire.

2) Democracy Factor. There will always be some dissidents and separatists, so a certain measure of brutality is necessary to suppress the conquered people. It follows that democracies can neither build nor maintain Empires. Example: All historical empires.

3) Cultural Factor. The more alien the annexed culture is, the harder it will be to absorb. Culture can be broken down into three separate constituents: language, traditions and religion. If all three are alien to the conquering civilization, absorption will be almost impossible. Example: The Empire of China vs Tibet.

4) Distance Factor. If the conquered nation is separated from the Empire by vast distances of land or sea, integration becomes extremely hard. Depending on the tech level of the Empire, integration could still be possible thanks to advanced transportation and communication techniques. Example: Spain and the Netherlands.

5) Population Factor. If the suborned people vastly outnumbers the conquerors, absorption will always be impossible, unless the cultural differences are negligable. Naturally, repression might still work, but what's the point? :) Example: The British Empire vs India and China.

Solutions

1) The Melting Pot Solution. If the cultural differences are slight, you can force the conquered people to intermingle with your own to the highest degree possible. Strive to disperse all concentrations of the conquered people and forbid the use of any language but your own in all official institutions.

2) The Roman Solution. If the conquered people is primitive and uneducated you can prevent separatism by bringing in the light of your own glorious civilization. Build roads, railways, schools, public baths, etc. Soon, they will strive to emulate you all on their own, and you will hardly have to lift a finger. Just remember to keep a tight leash on those provincial governors. :)

3) The Machiavellian Solution. If distance to the conquered nation is your sole obstruction you can always move your Imperial capital to the conquered territory. The close presence of your administration and goverment will make the conquered people (or colonists) feel like they belong to your nation. The obvious danger is that the reverse could happen! Examples: East Roman Empire, Mongols, Huns, Goths.

4) The Entropy Solution. If you can keep the conquered nation shackled for long enough, its people will inevitably fall to your culture. This might require enormous brutality and will probably take a millennium or two to complete.

5) The Final Solution If all else fails, and you are faced with a high grade of all five obstructions, the only possible solution remaining to you is to kill enough of the conquered people that you can re-colonize the area with your own. Examples: Spain and England vs American natives, China vs Tibet, Soviet vs Everyone.

As you can see, there is always a solution for the devious, cynical and ruthless Empire Builder, as long as he sits safely on his throne... :)

/Doomie

Marc,

If I played Spain, you would never get the chance to play the Netherlands. *evil laughter*

But I must confess I have little interest in playing Spain at all - it is far too easy. The same goes for France, Turkey and probably England.

No, I think I will mostly be playing Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Poland, Venice... and, hmm, Scotland would be fun, as would the Teutonic Order and the Papal States.

Trust me; in my games history will never repeat itself... Fear me, Russia; your armies shall be scattered. Tremble England; your fleets shall lie in tatters. Bow down Prussia, you shall swear allegiance. :)

/Doomie

Hey Sapster,

>Absorbtion will always be impossible with conquered people who hold a high value for independence and have tasted the 'fruits' of being 'on top'.

This is what I labelled the 'Civilization Factor'. If combined with some of the other obstructions it does become virtually impossible, yes.

>This is a practice [The Melting Pot Solution] that has failed many times in history.

Surely, but it has also often succeeded. Look at the early days of the US, or the integration of the Danish territories into Sweden. Again, it might become impossible if combined with some of the other factors I mentioned.

>Russia tried to do this [The Entropy Solution] to Poland after the partitions

Perhaps they tried, but the Entropy Solution hinges on time, and Russia did not control Poland for long enough. It has seldom been successfully completed, but I would point to Egypt (assimilated by Arabs) and the Latin nations of Europe (assimilated by Rome).

We should all be thankful that the Soviet Union did not last for as long as the Roman Empire... If it had, the only culture left within its borders would have been the Russian one.

/Doomie

Sap,

If you go back and read what I originally wrote of the 'Entropy Solution', you will find that I claimed it would take a millennium or two. 150 years is nothing. :)

/Doomie

Doomie, in which situation is Spain too easy to play?

Well, in theory it might not be. If I had been the King of Spain in 1492 I might not have found it 'easy'. :)

However, in every single computer game I've yet played more provinces/cities means easier, because the AI nations are incapable of ganging up on you in an efficient way. Also, with the kind of income Spain had back then it would be the leader in research all of the time...

/Doomie

Quite a nightmare, in fact.

Indeed... In a long-term perspective, Spain had little hope of retaining control of the Spanish Road and Flandres. That would have required the destruction of France as a Great Power, which was to all intents and purposes impossible. I am sure that both Guzman and Richelieu knew this.

The failure to defeat France in the 30 Years War was the last nail in the coffin.

In EU, Spain's primary objective on the continent will be to destroy France as early as possible. If you remember the Spanish AAR you will recall that this was not at all hard to accomplish. Hopefully the AI is much better now.

/Doomie