• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Shams

Corporate Paladin
70 Badges
Nov 9, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome Gold
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Lead and Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Impire
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
Hi everyone,

I've been promising this for a while so now here goes.

I'm going to give a rare glimpse into how PDX Publishing works with developers on achievements. I'm also just going to show you the same guideline documentation (more or less) we give to devs. I'll hope it'll spark a (constructive) discussion.

One thing before we head into this. Paradox is releasing about 15 major games this year, 3 of them are major internal titles (V2,HOI3SF and EU3DW). The bulk of our releases are non-grand strategy games - in other words more "ordinary" games.

Meaning, less depth, more linear, less mod-friendly. So as we have this discussion bear in mind that we're making achievements to work with ALL Paradox games. We can't accomodate all games to a 100% so we'll have to make sacrifices sometimes.

Here goes:

----------------

Achievements are a tool for adding an additional gameplay layer to a game, making them more fun and appealing. More specifically this is done by doing a number of important things; challenging, teaching, encouraging and rewarding the player to name a few.

Achievements can also be used as a tool for developers/publishers to gain useful insight into their games. As we track which achievements are, and aren’t, unlocked we learn more about the actual playing patterns of the gamer. This knowledge is useful for future designs.

For achievements to actually be effective and usable tool they need to be properly designed. A collection sloppily designed achievements can act as a detriment to the game.

This document outlines the best practices to use when designing a solid set of achievements.

Design philosophies:
In essence the primary function of achievements is to regularly affirm and award the player of their progress in the game. The secondary functions of achievements are to communicate with the player about the what, when and how of said achievements.

As every game is unique, there is no set formula for designing achievements. Instead you will find a list of “Do’s” and “Don’ts” below. They are not mutually exclusive and will sometimes be contradictory, but remember that it’s more important that your achievement system as a whole is of sound quality rather than that each achievement is perfect. Almost every “do” has an antithesis and vice versa.

What should be awarded?
  • Besides rewarding the player for natural progression (defeating bosses, advancing the story) the following guidelines can be used to figure out what to actually reward.
  • Mastering of a core game mechanic
  • Something that contains a high skill component
  • Handicapping the player if the new core mechanic of this handicap is still compelling (such as removing high-powered weapons when the low-powered ones are just as much fun).

DO:
NOTE: There is a distinction between achievements and the point reward associated with them.
  • Achievements can and should be broken down into sub-achievements.
  • Communicate clearly how the player is progressing with each achievement. Progress bars! (See Gears of War 2, Splinter cell conviction, MW2, Shadow Complex)
  • Achievements should be unlocked at a fairly steady pace.
  • Make sure to reward achievements 2-3 times during the initial game experience (approximately first hour). Get them hooked early.
  • Make a distinction between a “normal” playthrough and “this is my nth playthrough” and pace the achievements thereafter.
  • A “normal” playthrough should yield a substantial portion of the achievements. Depending on the playtime 20-50% is a fair amount of reward.
  • If connected – Compare and display the players progress with his/her friends score. See*Shadow Complex
  • Achievements should overall have a positive impact on the game. Don’t throw in an achievement just for the sake of the achievement.
  • Design achievements that enforce your core game mechanics.
  • Make sure your achievements are in harmony with each other
  • Use achievements to connect with the player and show them that you “get them”. Inside jokes!
  • Use achievements to teach and inform the player about the game. “Oh, you can do it that way? I never thought of it”
  • Design with diversity in mind. Have a broad variety of achievements from a broad number of areas.
  • Acknowledge the highest difficulty on which something has been accomplished. Unlocking “Hard completion” should also reward “normal” and “easy”.
  • “Grindy” achievements are acceptable as long as they enhance an already existing in game behaviour - collecting money for instance. Collecting flags, shooting pigeons and other arbitrary game elements do not qualify.
  • Design your achievements so that they can’t be “broken”. I.e. no shortcuts
  • The hardest achievements should inspire awe and respect, but should not unfeasibly hard to get.

What should NOT be awarded?

There are numerous pitfalls that designers need to avoid when designing achievements. The following are a loose set of guidelines on what not to reward.

• Low skill component.
  • Artificial gameplay.
  • Perfection of a non-core game mechanic that has little to do with the actual game.
  • Handicapping the player if the new core mechanic of this handicap isn’t still compelling. i.e. forcing the player to do something that is less fun.
  • Non-accomplishments; played 50 hours/100 hours.

DON'T:

• Don’t be arbitrary in your design – don’t reward nonsensical accomplishments
  • Don’t enforce artificial gameplay
  • Don’t reward achievements that have a low skill component or are luck based.
  • Don’t reward non-accomplishments. Things that are done automatically.
  • Don’t design achievements that enforce gameplay behavior that contradicts your core gameplay mechanics.
  • Don’t reward perfection of non-central game mechanic that isn't overly fun on its own.
  • Don’t punish the player for being better than the achievement. Most achievements should have a “-achieve this or less” clause.
  • Severe punishments for small mistakes after a long period of time
  • Aggressive real-life demands (completing a grueling task within 24 real-time hours, for example), difficult logistics of even attempting a task (such as finding an active multiplayer game)
  • Award dying/failing x number of times. Achievements should not award mediocracy.
  • Don’t close the window of opportunity. Always try to give the player the opportunity to go back and try to get the achievement again.
  • Don’t be arbitrarily cryptic. The player shouldn’t be forced to go online to find instructions on how to unlock the achievement.
  • Don’t have achievements that are so incredibly hard to unlock that makes the players dislike the game.
  • Don’t make achievement hunting feel like a chore, they should be fun.
  • Don’t require the player to collect x number of arbitrary objects that have no impact on game. (see flags in Assassins’ Creed)
Evaluate the design:

As a general rule always evaluate the weight and fun of an achievement by the most efficient method by which it is earned. Does it stand up against scrutiny? Does it still seem reasonable?

• Make sure you have a diverse set of achievements:
  • Are they from all parts of the game?
  • Are they of multiple types?
  • Do they vary in difficulty?
  • Do they only reward one kind of player?
  • Do they punish another?

General information & facts
In most cases on Kongregate.com, adding achievements to games caused the user rating to drop! But more people played the games. There are many theories about why this is — the best guess is that there's a difference in psychology between people who play a game just to have fun and people who play a game to earn achievements.

Let the discussion begin.

Do you see the design challenges inherent in creating achievements for our own grand strategy games and how much easier it is for a linear game like Magicka?
Let me know what you think.

/s

The gnome achievement is really an interesting one. At first it just seems extremely silly and fun. But once you try to get you realize that it's a completely different way to play the game. It actually got me thinking. What if that gnome had been a live baby? It would have some interesting complications to say the least.

There are numerous other games that do a real crappy job of designing achievements. GTA4 for instance, which in most other aspects, kicks ass but the achievements are pretty bad.

A few examples of the bad ones and why they are bad:

One Hundred And Eighty (10 points)
In a darts game score 180 with 3 darts.
Comment: Requires perfection of a very trivial game mechanic. BIG source of frustration.

Finish Him (15 points)
Complete 10 melee counters in 4 minutes.
Comments: Large luck component. Can you find 10 people? Do they cops arrive? Doesn’t contribute to the whole in a meaningful way. You end up having to "work the system" to it possible.

One Man Army (40 points)

Survive 5 minutes on 6 star wanted level.
Comment: Great in itself as it required a high degree of skill in a central game concept - staying alive. It is however easy to find a spot where the police can’t reach you and wait it out. Very susceptible to abuse.

It'll Cost Ya (5 points)

Complete a taxi ride without skipping from one island to another.
Comment: Rewards a non-accomplishment. Most players take a bathroom break during this achievement.

As for EU3. I definitely think there's a place for achievements there. Sure the game is open ended and almost completely un-linear, but there are several that would fit.

As I was writing this post I went to the kitchen to get me a cup of coffee where I spoke briefly to King about his take on achievements and he said something smart.

"Achievements in our games could be really good, since they can give players a sense of direction. Our games, especially for new players, have a "what the F*?! should I do now?" element to them that can be overwhelming."

Not a verbatim quote, but I have to agree with him.

Having seen the full achievement list Johan drafted I think you'll find a few challenging and others will bring smiles to your faces.

/s

The gnome achievement is really an interesting one. At first it just seems extremely silly and fun. But once you try to get you realize that it's a completely different way to play the game. It actually got me thinking. What if that gnome had been a live baby? It would have some interesting complications to say the least.

There are numerous other games that do a real crappy job of designing achievements. GTA4 for instance, which in most other aspects, kicks ass but the achievements are pretty bad.

A few examples of the bad ones and why they are bad:

One Hundred And Eighty (10 points)
In a darts game score 180 with 3 darts.
Comment: Requires perfection of a very trivial game mechanic. BIG source of frustration.

Finish Him (15 points)
Complete 10 melee counters in 4 minutes.
Comments: Large luck component. Can you find 10 people? Do they cops arrive? Doesn’t contribute to the whole in a meaningful way. You end up having to "work the system" to it possible.

One Man Army (40 points)

Survive 5 minutes on 6 star wanted level.
Comment: Great in itself as it required a high degree of skill in a central game concept - staying alive. It is however easy to find a spot where the police can’t reach you and wait it out. Very susceptible to abuse.

It'll Cost Ya (5 points)

Complete a taxi ride without skipping from one island to another.
Comment: Rewards a non-accomplishment. Most players take a bathroom break during this achievement.

As for EU3. I definitely think there's a place for achievements there. Sure the game is open ended and almost completely un-linear, but there are several that would fit.

As I was writing this post I went to the kitchen to get me a cup of coffee where I spoke briefly to King about his take on achievements and he said something smart.

"Achievements in our games could be really good, since they can give players a sense of direction. Our games, especially for new players, have a "what the F*?! should I do now?" element to them that can be overwhelming."

Not a verbatim quote, but I have to agree with him.

Having seen the full achievement list Johan drafted I think you'll find a few challenging and others will bring smiles to your faces.

/s

May I make a suggestion that might appease both sides, as a useful compromise? Include all the achievements you want - but put them in the game's tutorial. That way, they'll serve most of their main purposes as you outlined, indeed possibly enhancing the utility and interest in that tutorial, without interfering with the actual game!

Steve.

Seriously I think you misunderstand what achievements are. They are not a way of leveling up your EU3 game expierence. It is not like you will recieve in game bonuses for completing achievements. So from that perspective they do not interfere with the actual game at all. You are still absolutely 100% able to play EU3 your way without any reference to the achievements what so ever.

Regarding the mentioned "compromises" in the first post:

Those "compromises" for games like HOI, Vicky, CK, and EU will be more along the lines of not allowing achievements if you have a modded game, and not disallowing modding, right? I used to think that I knew the answer to this, but that post shed a little bit of a shadow on it again...

For achievements to be acheivements we need to only allow them in the vanilla version of the game. Otherwise you can simply mod the game so you have achievement already. This will spoil it for those people who want go out and have some fun earning achievements. It will in no way prevent people from playing Mods and having a lot of fun doing that.

As long as you can switch between the vanilla "achievements enabled" and modded "achievements disabled" version every time you load, there's no big problem. And I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case, so I'm not overly concerned.

What might be annoying though is if I can't do a minor modification such as change a flag or nation's colour without giving up access to achievements. Will it be in anyway possible to at least allow graphics changes without disabling the achievements? Or is it too hard? Because while I'm neutral about achievements, it's the flexibility to change little things like that so easily that is Paradox's point of difference. I'll still be able to, but it'll be a trade off.

The system uses a vitrual check sum. To the best of my knowledge it does not include things like map colour or flags. Should this turn out not to be the case we will be aiming to correct this either during development or post release.

But what about the reverse?
Many people play with mods and they lose the ability to have achievements. Can a mod create its own achievements? Can a player create a new achievement for others to enjoy (challenge.)

In strategy games achievements don't add a lot - but converting them to objectives steers the game play. An objective is an achievement that you commit in advance to. This means that the game play can adjust so the AI, or other players, can try to stop you, it also means that by picking one objective others you didn't pick aren't available.

Achievements are not modable and only open to the vanilla version of the game.

Achievements are not "just" for those who want a sense of direction, so they'll be spread all over the game, not just the tutorial.

Let's just leave the mod discussion for now. We've done it a 100 times already: If we can support mods, we'll do it, but for now no, you'll have skip achievements if you want to play with mods.

As for achievements as a whole. Some people seem to be missing how they work conceptually. It's kind of an abstract concept so if you haven't experienced it it's a bit hard to wrap your brain around it

This is how achievements work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG8TmmSLUUo&feature=related

This is from the excellent game Batman Arkham Asylum. There's an achievement in the game called "Catch!" worth 5 points where you have to throw the batarang and guide it back to you. It's not super tricky but it teaches you that you can control the batarang mid air.

once you do that there's a little graphic that pops up and says "Achievement unlocked!: catch! - 5p". This is the ONLY time you'll see the achievement in the game. From now on its permanently associated with your account and added to your point total.

Whenever you log into Paradox Connect you'll be able to view all your achievements.

Achievements in EU DW will work exactly the same.

1: You start the game
2: Once in the game you'll be asked to log in to Paradox Connect. You can chose not to. Otherwise use your forum credentials to do so.
3: Start playing
4: Once condition x has been met there'll be a little sound and a pop up that says "Achievement unlocked - [achievement name] [point]". It'll disappear after a few seconds and you'll never see it again
5: You can then bring up a Paradox connect overlay and view all your achievements and your point total.
6: You can chose to display your point total on the forums so every time you post people will see that you were first to get all the 1000 points available in Divine Wind.

Regarding the mentioned "compromises" in the first post:

Those "compromises" for games like HOI, Vicky, CK, and EU will be more along the lines of not allowing achievements if you have a modded game, and not disallowing modding, right? I used to think that I knew the answer to this, but that post shed a little bit of a shadow on it again...

Yeah exactly, primarily modding and stuff like that.

/s

Great news!

As I'm told now we'll be able to support mods that only alter graphics.

We'll keep tweaking it up to and after release so this might change. But good news for now.

/s

Something I just thought of: What about beta patches? In fact, will the need to integrate achievements delay patches at all?
(I can't see that they would, but it's one of those questions that needs answering.)

? I don't get it. what do you mean with "integrate achievements"? in what? when?

Are you asking if beta patches will be delayed in the future because we now have achievements in our games? In that case the answer is no, achievements (the design part) is very little work and not much of the technical side is done by the internal team.

The games that currently have achievements elsewhere (like CCOTA or LNG) might receive patches to incorporate achievements. But it's unlikely unless you guys are really vocal about it.

Warband might since there are a lot who play it.

/s

/s

Okay, I'll put it differently - may be a language difficulty.

Will people who decide to run beta patches be able to get achievements, or would it be the same as running a mod? After all, the checksum is liable to be different...

I ask because of cases like EUIII 4.1b, and HOI 2.1c. Off the top of my head I can't recall whether Rome is currently at beta. VickyII I've not yet bought (but intend to) so i can't say about that.

Steve.

Understood.

Without checking with the devs I can almost say a definite no. Beta implies just that, not a final product.

/s

It would be cool if you could check your achievement against other players in-game. So many of the forumites 'know' eachother, so it'd be nice to be able to say "hey, I'm only 200 points away from catching up with Shams/nearly level with RELee/a trillion points ahead of RRW"... little on-forum friendly rivalry. And maybe PI staff's scores could be constantly available, with a league table so we could see which dev is truly the best player

Yes, this is exactly the kind of stuff we'd like to implement down the line. Since the games are tracking metrics anyway we can do additional fun stuff

If you are friends with Orange Yoshi and win a battle the system tells you "Battles won #362, OrangeYoshi record is #365". You'll probably want to win a couple more and rub his nose in it right?

About the Vicky2 achievement. I know way too little V2 to be able to answer that properly.

/s