• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Last edited by a moderator:
jpd said:
If you run Windows XP/SP2, you will automatically also have DirectX 9.0c ;)

thats not the latest version though.

IceDust said:
Tried it on two of my computers with DX10, bluescreen once i click single player button and the screen where you choose faction comes up. Bæng.

Tried it on my old computer, which barley can run Win 3.11 and it works like a charm.

I smell unfinished product :(

Cant be a coincidence it fail to run on both my DX10 computers, one AMD, and one Intel, all up to date with drivers and hardware (me and my sons gaming machines).

did you install directx9 on your new pc?

dx10 is a buggy piece of shit that does not include all dx9 features.

adonys said:
I Have a Vista 32 Professional OS. After installing the game's demo, it would start, but immediatelly crash with an error message saying nothing too explicit.

I've tried to run it in winXP SP2 compatibility mode -> the same result.
I've installed the latest DirectX (DX 9.0c march 2008) -> the same result.

I've set the game to run with administrator privilleges = it run perfectly well.

So, I'd say all Vista's problems are in fact caused that the game doesn't use a temp directory, or doesn't store's it's re-writing data, temporary or permanent one, in a fodler in which the game has access as a common program, without administrator user credentials. This equals = bad programming, without moving the needing to be re-written data from program's install folder to it's application data folder.

the demo shouldnt be writing anything to disk I think, but you may be on to something here with the admin permissions. Anyone else did this and solved their problem?

of course it could just be good luck, some vista owners run fine sometimes, and crash consistently at other times.

TGHoplite said:
I downloaded DX9 (I have DX10 by default) and it hasn't solved my problems with the game (they are in detail in the tech support forum) so I was wondering maybe I'm not running the game with Dx9. Do I have to choose something like "run with DX9", and if so how?

does this sticky (in tech support) help?
Mind, I'm not running Vista, but I've been told that it should auto-detect which DX version is necessary (if you have it installed). If the steps in that sticky don't help, post in tech support.

Surt said:
I've been wondering what does this PS 2.0 do for me? except giving problems in many new games, why can't it be simulated by calling PS 1.0 or a NULL function?

PS 2.0 (Pixel Shader Model 2), to simplify, is used to draw the pixels on your screen. Different versions allow you more or less code for doing so and different nice features to use.

The reason for not using PS 1.0
1. Very very limiting, so development takes longer, there are also other limitations like how many textures you can use.
2. Any computer with card that doesnt support 2.0 will most probably be too slow to run the game at playable speeds even if we emulated stuff using 1.0 anyway (which would require double the work and be much slower).

EDIT: actually all the shader code is there i the gfx folder, so anyone with enough time on their hands could probably pull off a PS 1.0 port, if you managed to cut down the texture usage.

See wikipedia for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_shader