• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So what is the hold up with the patch? I am waiting to buy this game when this new patch becomes available (after getting 3rd degree full body burns from hoi3, I never buy paradox games untill at least the first patch now).

I'd just buy it Nicophorus. I've completed a game to 1945 without noticing any issues other than a bit of a slowdown in later years although it is nothing more than a minor annoyance............... altho I don't blame you for the wariness. I bought AOD after suffering major disappointment regarding HOI3

Me personally, I have yet to be the least bit disappointed with anything I've bought from Paradox.

True, I never did buy anything in the HOI series before AOD, but nonetheless! :p

This thread is a testament to the power of blog-marketing? 47,000 hits, and now we've got guys posting saying that they are waiting to buy it till a particular milestone is crossed in the thread (patch availalble).

The suspense is killing me! :D

. . . and oh yeah; I forgot . . .

Praise Lennartos! Praise Johan! All praise Paradox!

Me personally, I have yet to be the least bit disappointed with anything I've bought from Paradox.

Is this even possible?

Have you ever played Crusader Kings or Victoria? Those two games I would say were epically bad and bugged before they were patched (now they're pretty good). I would have to say that HOI3 was one of the most shoddy and disappointing games I've ever bought. Almost every single game feature that was marketed turned out to either not be working at all or nothing like advertised.

All that being said Paradox produces a pretty unique product and I have had a lot of fun with their games.

Is this even possible?

Have you ever played Crusader Kings or Victoria? Those two games I would say were epically bad and bugged before they were patched (now they're pretty good). I would have to say that HOI3 was one of the most shoddy and disappointing games I've ever bought. Almost every single game feature that was marketed turned out to either not be working at all or nothing like advertised.

All that being said Paradox produces a pretty unique product and I have had a lot of fun with their games.
Funny. Luckily for me I bought CK and Vicky when the expansions already came out. Games I got "fresh out" are HOI 1, 2, 3, AOD and EU.

I played Victoria 1.0 and HoI2 1.0, both were nowhere near to be as bugged and broken as HoI3.

Is this even possible?

I waited until Fall 2009 to buy my first Paradox product! :D

Civ, and Matrix games got boring eventually; bit since I waited till all these games I bought had been thoroughly beta-tested, i.e., several years after their initial release and ideal long after a couple of expansions, if not a "Complete" or "Platinum" collection is published, I skipped out on those really annoying early releases (aka: beta-versions rushed into the market for the sake of keeping cashflow going and staying in business).

The only one I've bought shortly after its release was AOD, and I cannot say that I find it as relatively messed up as I've noted some other games I've bought from other publishers even longer after release. ADDIT: in fact, I don't find it to be messed up at all, but then I'm a novice to the series, so I may be overlooking some things.

I'm not trying to disagree with anyone here; I believe you if you say that buying strategy game titles immediately after they are released is fraught with pitfalls and bugs. Anytime I peek in over at the War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition forums at Matrix, all they seem to be doing is arguing about how unbalanced various aspects of the game are [mostly it seems the China theatre]. This is despite what I believe to have been one of the most devoted and laborious efforts to develop the expansion, an obviously devoted beta team who know that game and that history inside out, and several months and a couple patches after release. Eventually I'm sure they'll get it worked out, and it will be as near to perfection as it can be, and even now it is a great game, in which the imbalances probably only rear their ugly heads in certain special circumstances. My synthesis of all that? Is it frustrating that most strategy games these days in actual fact seem to have to undergo about a year to three of "post-release beta-testing/expansion developing" before they achieve anything like a truly satisfying fraction of their potential? Yeah, its frustrating. Is it unreasonable that the devs and publishers "do this to us?" Hmmm. Not if we keep paying! :D

Me personally, I'd rather have a game that is slightly 'broken' but can stimulate my brains than no game at all. If I understand the market, those are effectively our two choices.

I'm not trying dis either us players, or the developers or the publishers, but simply to be realistic. I like strategy games, and I'm thankful that there are some pretty dang good ones available at fairly reasonable prices. Maybe we players are "to blame" for encouraging the publishers/developers bad behavior, but on the other hand, maybe if we did not sufficiently encourage them, they'd just go out of business and we'd have fewer games, and a slower evolution of the genre than we enjoy.

Not even Blizzard, waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy back in the day, released a complete game that needed no patching. They are still patching Starcraft for balance in multiplayer for crying out loud.

With the advent of broadband internet, patching is made all the cheaper...

Is this even possible?

Vic was never bad. Heretic.

Ok, i am fed up with this corporate BS. I will move my sliders one step towards "central planning" ;)

There are several possible explanations:
1. All their employees are on holidays
2. There is an ubervirus hidden inside the patch, called "MeinPanzersMachtDuTot" that messed up their network
3.Alien conspiracy (By the way, does the "alien invasion" command work in AoD?)

Ok, i am fed up with this corporate BS. I will move my sliders one step towards "central planning" ;)

There are several possible explanations:
1. All their employees are on holidays
2. There is an ubervirus hidden inside the patch, called "MeinPanzersMachtDuTot" that messed up their network
3.Alien conspiracy (By the way, does the "alien invasion" command work in AoD?)

I suppose it's a combination of point one and the fact that they have to conduct their own Q/A to make sure that it works with their service.

Yeah, I play quite a few small, independently developed games that I get through Steam (things like Gratuitous Space Battles). I keep track of updates through the dev's website, and I have never seen Steam or Impulse take a week or more to put out a finished patch. And in all cases, the patch is also available directly from the dev/publisher.

So while I'm willing to believe that distributor delay is the reason we're still waiting on a finished patch, that doesn't actually answer my question of WHY that's the reason.