• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zanza

Field Marshal
85 Badges
Jul 28, 2003
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
I recently started to play Victoria again and figured that I could attempt writing an AAR.

I'll play the Kingdom of Hanover, which is one of the stronger German minors. My goal is to stop unification of Germany by Prussia or Austria. If I succeed in that, I shall attempt to unify it with Hanover.

Other than that, I'll try to roleplay to an extent and will attempt to play in a somewhat realistic way, i.e. no Hanoverian colonial empire in the 1840s or so.

Disclaimer: If you have ever read one of my earlier attempts at AAR writing in CK or HoI, you will know that I usually don't finish - or rather, I stop after a few posts. I am realistic and don't expect this to be better. :D :p

Prologue - 18 May 1794, Tourcoing, Northern France

Prologue
18 May 1794, Tourcoing, Northern France

This was his chance. He would show his brother and everybody else that he was a good soldier. First into battle, he would be the hero of the day. He would erase the shame of the morning. It was so unfair, that he was not allowed into their circle. When his brother met with the Austrians under the Prince of Saxe-Coburg, he had not been invited. An outrage. The Austrian Archduke was his age and he had been allowed to join the council. Of course he led an entire division, not just a brigade. But his brother had never had a high opinion of him and would only give him command of a brigade of cavalry. He rather asked that old fossil Abercromby for his opinion. But today he would show him otherwise. He and his cavalry would win the day.

He had been ordered to capture Roubaix and he would be successful.
They rode in a canter toward a small wood when his scouts signaled that the enemy had been spotted. The scouts approached him and his commanders now.

‘What did you see?’

‘We spotted a small detachment of French troops in the next village. About 200 no more.’

He wondered what such a small unit was doing all alone there.

‘Well, gentlemen? I propose we encircle them and attack.’

His captains voiced brief confirmations.

‘Captain Rochester, you take your battalion and attack from the West, I will lead the mass of the troops around and attack them from the East.’

‘Yes, sir.’

He saw how the troops of Rochester left the column and started circling around the village.

‘Captain Derby, follow me.’

They started riding towards the Eastern edge of the forest and onwards to the village. When they reached the village, no Frenchmen could be seen. The French must not have noticed them yet. His troops advanced, ever quicker now, galloping towards the village. They would send those French running.
Now that the village was only two hundred yards away, he could finally see the French. They had taken position to their left flank in a small ditch and were ready for battle. This would not be as easy as he had thought. They had known that there would be an attack after all. And prepared an ambush.

The first salvo from the French cracked loose and he and his men fired their pistols at the French. Next to him he saw a horse topple as it was hit by a bullet. But he forced his horse onwards towards the French. Sabre held high, he reached their lines. A bayonet cut into his general direction, but he swerved around it and cut down with his sabre savagely. Blood sprayed his way and he heard the Frenchman scream.

batailledetourcoing1794.jpg

Battle of Tourcoing​

He passed a few more Frenchmen and hacked down with his sabre. When he had passed their line, he noticed that he and his troops had made a mistake. The Frenchmen were much more numerous than his scouts had reported. And they had cavalry of their own which quickly approached now and would cut them off from Rochester’s troops in the West.

Around him the battle raged on, screams, shouts, and pistol shots. He tried to figure out what to do next and looked around for his captains, but could see none of them. Over there next to the flag on the hill. He noticed that he had been isolated from the mass of his troops.

All of a sudden, a vicious pain. His left arm burned like fire. He had been hit. Blood. Everywhere was blood. When he gained conscience again, he was on the ground, a French soldier standing above him. He could see the soldier’s mouth move. But he could not hear anything. He tried to raise his hand, but did not have the strength to do so anymore. And then everything became black.

Thus died Ernest Augustus, fifth son of George III of Great Britain.

Last edited:
I am also subsribed, I wonder what George the III's reaction will be?

Cool, I'd love to see how you stop unification. :cool:

Chapter One

Chapter One
26 February 1837, Kensington Palace, London

A noise. A soft knock on the door. He opened an eye, it was still dark outside and he could barely see anything from the moonlight that shone into the room. Another knock on the door.

He more grunted than said anything, yet his manservant opened the door.

‘Baron Ompteda is here to see you, sire.’

‘Hmm, now? It’s the middle of the night. Tell him to come back later.’

‘He insisted, sire.’

‘God damn. Tell him I’ll be out in a few minutes.’

He climbed out of his bed and went over to the basin with fresh water. After sprinkling some of it into his face, he put on his morning robe. Still grumpy, he walked towards the door and to his salon to receive his visitor. He dreaded that he knew what Ompteda might want. His brother, the King, was dead. There could be no other reason. Ompteda fell to one knee when he entered the room.

‘Your majesty, your brother, the King William, has died tonight. You are the new King of Hanover. How may I serve you, your majesty?’

‘Rise, Ompteda, rise. So this is it. William is dead. I should feel more grief. But then it was to be expected and he had suffered the last few weeks.’

King of Hanover. Who would have ever thought that. The sixth son. George and Frederick had died without issue a couple years ago, William had no legitimate issue either and Ernest had died all those decades ago fighting the French revolutionaries. Only Edward had a daughter, Victoria. His little niece, not yet an adult. She was now Queen of the United Kingdom. But she could not inherit Hanover. And that made him King of Hanover. He had feared this day. What now? He was unfit to rule and he knew it. He had never had a career in the military or in politics. His love was gardening. How should he ever rule a Kingdom?

‘Very well, Baron Ompteda, I need some time to refresh myself and get dressed. I shall visit Queen Adelaide … the dowager queen, and express my condolences. And I shall congratulate my niece. We shall talk later, about … uh, my kingdom.’

He actually had no interest in Hanover. He had not been there in decades. And didn’t plan on going there any time soon. Maybe he could just rule like William did, in absentia. Their father had never been in Hanover either in all those decades. And his younger brother Adolphus had ruled Hanover for the last few years anyway. And Adolphus was the heir presumptive. Maybe he should just stay out of all this and keep to his beloved gardens.

kingaugustus.jpg
viceroyadolphus.jpg

King Augustus Frederick of Hanover and his brother, Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge​

5 March 1837, Herrenhausen Palace, Hanover

Adolphus was a bit late and when he entered the room he found the privy council assembled and waiting for him. He sat down in the chair at the head of the table. To his right sat Baron Ompteda, who had just arrived from England earlier in the day, ready to give them a first report of the King’s wishes.

‘Gentlemen, welcome. Let us get started. Baron Ompteda.’

‘Yes, sire. King Augustus and I have spoken about his rule at length in the last few days. As you all know, he is not particularly interested in Hanover or being a King for that matter. He expressed that for the time being he plans to stay in London and take care of his interests there. He delegates the administration of Hanover into our hands. As you will have read in the letters that I brought you from his majesty, Adolphus, the Duke of Cambridge, shall continue to be viceroy of Hanover and rule this realm instead of his brother. The King further decrees that the Constitution of 1833 shall be kept and that all ministers will keep their office at the discretion of the Duke of Cambridge. You have all received more detailed orders in writing, so I shall not repeat it here.’

‘Thank you, Baron Ompteda. Gentlemen, the King has asked me to prepare a report on our policies and the current state of affairs for him, so he can make himself a picture of his realm. Count Alten, please prepare a report on the state of the military, Baron Stralenheim, you will prepare a report on education and culture, and Schulte, you shall prepare a report on our economy.’

The addressed men nodded in confirmation.

‘Excellent. We will for now continue with our daily business and wait whether the King has any further orders in the next few weeks.What’s on the agenda?’

han1837.jpg

The Kingdom of Hanover and its neighbours in 1837

han1837stat.jpg

Last edited:
Enewald: Thanks for reading. :)

mad general: I am sure he was devastated. :p I just wanted to have an ahistorical king and as Ernestes Augustus was wounded in that battle in reality, I figured it was a good point of departure.

Erie_Patriot, likk9922: We shall see. So far it's just my goal. I am not quite sure how I shall stop the Prussian war machine when the time comes. But I will at least try. But it could be that this AAR ends in 1866. ;)

Suscribed!

PS: How are maked the map and the country status?

I'd like to see Hannover lead the Unifaction rather than stop it happening. Nice map by the way. :D

Hanover should form Germany, as long as you dont take over the world randomly like that EU3 Scottish aar.

Interesting! Don't think I've ever seen anyone play as Hanover before. I shall be following this one.

I'll be interested to see how you might go about uniting Germany...

Chapter One (cont.)

17 June 1838, Kensington Palace, London

He had read a lot about the history and the homeland of his ancestors in the last weeks and months. Despite having been there a couple of times, it was still an alien land, but he felt that his understanding had vastly increased already. But maybe, just maybe, he should be a King after all. Rule, write history. He had talked at length with Baron Ompteda, his minister, about Hanover and Germany. This was a splintered people, but after the experiences of the Napoleonic Wars, there had been stirrings to unite, to create a single state for all Germans. He found these revolutionary thoughts most interesting. Maybe it was his role, his destiny, to be at the forefront of this movement? His thoughts were interrupted by a servant.

‘Sire, Baron Ompteda is here to see you.’

‘Usher him in, please.’

He was still not sure if this was a good idea. Should he really?

‘Your majesty, how may I be of service?’

‘Baron, as I told you in the last weeks, I consider going to Hanover.’

‘Yes…?’

‘Well, I have decided. I shall go. I think my destiny awaits me there.’

He could see Ompteda flinch at the word destiny. Too much of an administrator, no vision. Oh well, one needed such men to rule a kingdom. But his was a bigger role. He would write history. He was sure of that now.

27 September 1838, Herrenhausen Palace, Hanover

The Privy Council had met to hear the ideas of the recently arrived king. The king had just retired and when the servant closed the door behind him, there was an eerie silence in the room. But one of them had to be first. All eyes went to Adolphus, the King’s brother, and until recently his steward ruling the realm for him.

‘This is folly. War. And for what? His delusions of grandeur? Prussia will never stand for this. Or England for that matter.’

Baron von Stralenheim, the culture minister, was courageous enough to interrupt. ‘Well, it’s not just for the land. It’s also for the traditional rights…’

‘Don’t let yourself fool you by this romantic talk, Baron Stralenheim. He always had strange ideas and a sorry grasp of reality. Would we even be able to win such a war? Did he think about that?’

Count von Alten, the venerable old field marshal, nodded and said, slowly pondering. ‘I think we could.’

‘That was not a question to you, Count von Alten. I merely wondered if he has thought this through.’ Adolphus paused. ‘Hmm, you seriously think we could win such a war? We have no navy to speak of. And our army is smaller than theirs, no?’

‘Well, with the five reserve divisions, we should be able to mobilize a similar amount of men as they can.’

Baron Halkett, the commander of the Hanoverian army, cleared his throat. ‘Hmm, I agree with Count von Alten’s assessment. I think we could beat them. At least if we strike fast and decisively. At least if the war does not drag on for too long.’

vonhalkett.jpg
vonalten.jpg

Baron Hugh von Halkett, Count Carl von Alten​

‘If it doesn’t drag on. That’s a very serious if, Baron Halkett. And what about financing it. We don’t have the resources to do so, do we? Ritter von Schulte, what do you think. We need someone speaking with the voice of reason here.’

‘Our finances have never been better, sire. I think at this point, we could finance a war for at least two years. As I told you earlier, our policy of tax breaks to industrialists has created huge investment into railroads and new machinery. And the high tariffs protecting our economy help a lot too. Our coffers are flowing over right now.’

‘Folly. Am I surrounded by fools here? Do you all want this crazy war? What if Prussia intervenes?’

Count von Alten answered again. ‘Prussia won’t intervene, not if we have England’s backing as our King claims. And that could also negate the advantage of their fleet. England will not allow trade to be interrupted. And as the last war in the lowlands has shown, the great powers don’t care much for the order of the Vienna Congress anymore.’

‘So apparently my brother’s foolish ideas have convinced all of you. So be it then. Count von Alten, Ritter von Schulte, start with your preparations. Clandestine of course. I shall venture meet with representatives of the opposition there. We need their support or otherwise it will look like senseless aggression.’

Viden: Thanks for reading. I made both with Photoshop.

Enewald: Hanover was part of the German confederation from 1815-1866. Right now, he's still the heir apparent for the UK too until Vicky gets a child. ;)

n.y.o.: First things first. I shall first attempt to stop Prussia and Austria and then attempt it myself. ;)

mad general: No, I shall try to remain realistic. Conquering the world is not my plan.

Treppe: Welcome. :)

Erie_Patriot: We shall see. I have actually never tried to play them before, so I don't know either.

Cinéad IV: Well, I don't really know either. I shall see what opportunities there are.

Hannover going to beat Preussen in 1830s? :eek:

He is going to be going to war with the Netherlands I think. They talked about the Vienna Congress and the "lowlands" and the Netherlands is their neighbour.