• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

subnormalized

Obscurely Overrated, though my avatar isn't...
17 Badges
May 21, 2005
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
Well, the one thing that stood out as something I didn't expect in Revolutions is the much smaller cap on your Mobilization Pool, vs Vanilla 1.04. As in, you can only create a Mob Pool less than 1/3 the size of what you could do in 1.04. I read about much of the other changes, but this one took me by surprise.

So, any hints as to ways to increase this cap? Or are you just stuck with a smaller Strategic Reserve? As things are, this comes close to invalidating the USA Guide on the wiki, though I shouldn't be surprised since they say it's for Vanilla 1.03, but Vicky is intimidating enough as is...

It's the ruling party policy (not sure of the numbers there) and the size of your standing army that determines max mob pool size.

beowulf said:
It's the ruling party policy (not sure of the numbers there) and the size of your standing army that determines max mob pool size.

Really? It's the size of the standing army and not total manpower?

Draigh said:
The size of the standing army does play a part now days. Manpower is always a contribution, of course. If you are pro-military and you notice you can't increase your mob pool for a while, try building another standing division and see if your mob pool cap doesn't increase a tad.

RELee said:
The size of the standing army does play a part now days. Manpower is always a contribution, of course. If you are pro-military and you notice you can't increase your mob pool for a while, try building another standing division and see if your mob pool cap doesn't increase a tad.

Ah, thanks. But their isn't any definite math for this that we know of?

Draigh said:
Ah, thanks. But their isn't any definite math for this that we know of?
Somebody may have it all worked out. But that would not be me. :eek:o

Draigh said:
Not that I've noticed. It seems to me the only time my max mob pool size increases is when I deploy a new division, or my party changes.

After a quick test:

Jingoism: 4 mob divisions per standing division
Pro-military: 3 -"-
Anti-military: 2 -"-
Pacifist: 1 -"- (I assume this number based on the general trend of the others, I had no pacifist party available)

This is based on a saved game with Italy mid-1880's, I have 1070 available manpower, which doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

beowulf said:
After a quick test:

Pacifist: 1 -"- (I assume this number based on the general trend of the others, I had no pacifist party available)

This is based on a saved game with Italy mid-1880's, I have 1070 available manpower, which doesn't seem to have any effect at all.
Really. I would have expected a better, more complicated algorithm from Paradox. I'm actually disappointed. Heart-broken even.

RELee said:
Really. I would have expected a better, more complicated algorithm from Paradox. I'm actually disappointed. Heart-broken even.
I don't think a more complicated algorithm would necessarily have been better.

beowulf said:
I don't think a more complicated algorithm would necessarily have been better.
Spoil sport. ;)

beowulf said:
After a quick test:

ADDENDUM: While beowulf's formula works when your Mob Pool is small compared to total populace, it seems to fail as the Mob Pool gets large, possibly because of Population Cap. The formula worked fine for me as USA, Normal/Normal, Revolutions unmodded, up until I got ~77 divisions in my Mob Pool in 1853. At that point, adding divisions to my standing army didn't increase the Mob Pool cap, nor did converting POPs to soldiers. It *did* go up by its own later on, leading me to suspect that Mob Pool Cap is also dependent on total Population.

I have Pro-Military, 31 divisions, a Mob Pool of 77, and a Mob Pool Cap of 78. Total population is around 20 Million, so figure on only getting 4 divisions per million populace, as a rule of thumb... I'll update again when I get more data.

It's possible that there is a cap based on population, that seems to be how it was handled before.

beowulf said:
It's possible that there is a cap based on population, that seems to be how it was handled before.
AH-HA! (Picture Linus flipping backwards).
peanuts21.gif

The party/Standing Army formula is not in the Wiki yet, though. Where should it go? In the Strategy Guide or the General Discussion FAQ?

Also, when I play tonight I'll edit my savegame to go from Pro-Military to Jingoism and find out if the Population Cap is also party-dependent. This will be my first savegame edit, so wish me luck! :D

RELee said:
Personally, I would recommend placing it in the Guide for Victoria:Revolutions, perhaps under the Military section.

Edit: Oh! And, luck! :cool:

Thanks for the tip. Just added the info to the Miltary section of the Wiki as you suggested here, might edit the wording of it at some point, remove the qualification on Pacifism, little things, you know... :)

Looks mighty fine, mighty fine. :cool:

Finally tested Pop Cap and party by editing the savegame to change out the party in power. Democrats are Jingoists, but the Mob Pool cap is still 78, the same as with the Whigs, a pro-military party. So the Population cap seems to be independent of party...

In other news, I also put the American Party, a bunch of anti-military people, into power by accident, when editing my savegame. Though it meant that I couldn't increase my Mob pool from 77 to 78 anymore, it did not wipe out the divisions in the pool already there. Since I had only 31 standing divisions around, I was pleasantly pleased to see that I didn't go from 77 to 62, but then again, I didn't keep playing with them, so it is possible that end-of-month recalculations might make things goofy.

But what does this mean? It means that you can probably increase your Mob pool to your heart's content under the better two parties without worry that the next administration will wipe out your National Guard Divisions. :cool: Also, once you reach the Pop Cap on your Mob Pool, don't get your hopes up on the new administration increasing your possible stockpile of cannon fodder. You gotta be patient for the next crop of peons to mature, and let your population grow. :p

Again, I didn't play to end-of-month, but I figure a reload gets most important calculations done anyways. If you keep playing and find differently, please tell me here. ;)