• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OOC: Imagine Neville's list of reasons why we need factories...
1. More industry
2. Admiralty will be happy
3. Shut Nebb up.

He wouldn't ever say that publically but in his diary... :eek:

Adaml83 said:
OOC: Yeah that makes sense, the USN would benefit from what the RN learned with their conversion carriers that came from battlecruisers.

As far as I'm concerned as long as the US is willing to listen the door is always open, especially while the Royal Navy is trying to play catch up.

OOC: I can't belive I got away with it... or are my 'marching oders' in the post? :D

bit OOC:

TO: All members of the Admirality, goverment and Armed Forces

Sir, I hope that you will all join me in raising a glass to the imortal and eternal saviour Admiral Nelson, his deeds have gone down in history and shall long be celebrated.

So sirs... To the Admiral Nelson and The Royal Navy!!

Three cheers!

Sir Clive

OOC: Alright, consensus seems to be that we should have a run in Glasgow. I'll bump it up to two and we can play it from there.

Hear that Braedy, it will be all Stick's fault! Neville will know who to blame when the public are looking for a scape goat...... :D

Dury.

18 January 1937
Cabinet Room

Neville Chamberlain sat at his seat half way down the side of the table. He smiled as he listened to his ministers’ give their briefings, one at a time. The smile looked nice enough but deep down Neville was feeling predatory. His approval rating was up and had never been higher, a party room reshuffle was on his mind and several of Baldwin’s favourites were in his sights. However, that was for later, right now he listened intently as his Minster for War spoke on the upgrade of the fighter Wing based at Dover.

“Today we are declaring the group operational on Hurricane I’s. Over time these will be updated to an even newer design but that will take time, for the moment the Hurricane I’s will provide valuable experience as our pilots get used to their first monoplane, metal airframe fighters.”

Neville interrupted, “When will the ceremony be held to announce this to the public?”

The War Minister looked shocked, “Mr Prime Minister, the Hurricane fighter is a state secret. If we were to hold a ceremony then we alert our enemies!”

The Prime Minister scoffed at the statement, “What nonsense. Showing our strong hand is more likely to worry our enemies than to please them. Anyway, you still have this second model as a secret. We’ll just announce this one and keep the next one up our sleeve.”

Sir Cyril spoke up from the far end of the table, “Mr Prime Minister. I must agree with the Minister on this. To tell the enemy anything would be to tell them too much. I strongly advise you against informing anyone of our new aircraft.” There were murmurs of agreement from several of the military men in attendance.

Neville waved it aside, “Sir Cyril. I value your opinion highly but we are going through strange times at the moment. I feel it is in the national interest to hold a ceremony marking these new aircraft entering service. A new, modern fighter entering service will help to calm the jitters of people after the Spanish bombing last week. The sooner we can show that Britain is ready to defend her shores against aggression the better. I want that event organised for the last day of this month.”

The War Minister nodded. “Yes Neville, as you wish. I’ll have that organized.”

Neville smiled and prepared to wrap up proceedings, “Any more gentlemen?”

The War Minister cleared his throat, “If I may Neville, I have one more matter to raise.”

Neville furrowed his brow in annoyance but nodded for the Minister to proceed.

“Late yesterday one of our RAF generals came to me with the findings of a study he was commissioned to make into tactical bombing. He has studied closely what has happened in the Spanish Civil War and particularly at Ciudad Real. The paper is titled ‘Operational Destruction Doctrine’ and sets out a new set of rules and guidelines for tactical bombing.”

Neville interrupted, “I believe Sir Cyril has been doing a bit of work on this as well, haven’t you?”

The room turned as one towards the General, his reply was slow in coming. “Just keeping up to date in all facets of warfare Mr Prime Minister. I greatly admire General Portal and his past work and I look forward to reading his findings.”

The War Minister resumed, “Yes, well anyway, the completion of this study has meant we now have a place free for a new project to be started.

“In consultation with the Defense White Paper and discussions with the three services I am pleased to provide government tender No 37/109.”

The Minister handed out copies of a file to all the occupants.

“The tender calls on companies to tender to build a new class of light cruiser. This will be the first post treaty class of light cruiser and as such is expected to be far in advance of anything we currently have in commission. As you can see the specifications requested are far in advance of what we currently have. It’s expected this new class of ship will be as powerful as our existing Heavy Cruisers and yet still be versatile enough to be used in anti submarine warfare. It will boost our ship to ship strength but also our ability to protect our mercantile shipping.”

Neville smiled at the thoughtfulness of his minister’s comment. Perhaps he was worth keeping. “A wonderful thing I’m sure.”

He decided to test the Minister’s competence some more. “Sir Thomas, how confident are you that our companies can meet the specifications you have requested?”

“Very confident Mr Prime Minister. As the minister has stated, the end of treaty limitations has allowed us to include a number of items that it was previously impossible to fit within the bounds of the treaty.”

“Wonderful ,wonderful. Now that’s settled I think we can adjourn the meeting? Yes, thank you gentlemen for coming.”

The men rose at his invitation and filed out. Neville took out a folder from his pile, he opened it and made some notes next to the name of his War Minister. He then shut the file and placed it at the back of his pile.

OOC: Nah Wolfey, I ignored the usual spasm of the SHBBs, need to take your medication again man. ;) :p

Dury are you talking about the Light Cruiser design we have already or the one I want to research after the Illustrious design finishes?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: All members of the in His Majesty's Armed Forces (sounds regal enough?)

Subj: Nelson

Here here, to Nelson.

It's a shame we couldn't name a better Dreadnought after Nelson, instead of a treaty vessel.

Sir Thomas

Duritz said:
“The tender calls on companies to tender to build a new class of light cruiser. This will be the first post treaty class of light cruiser and as such is expected to be far in advance of anything we currently have in commission. As you can see the specifications requested are far in advance of what we currently have. It’s expected this new class of ship will be as powerful as our existing Heavy Cruisers and yet still be versatile enough to be used in anti submarine warfare. It will boost our ship to ship strength but also our ability to protect our mercantile shipping.”

OOC: Good read in HOI2 terms but rubbish IRL terms. Light cruisers did not do ASW work with the exception of only the very smallest of the type and even these scored no real success in ASW. I know the US built the Atlanta class with depth charges and even sonar but the ship was still too large and cumbersome to hunt sumbarines and the first things to be removed to save weight was the ASW equipment.

I don't blame you, Dury, naturally. The fault is with how light cruisers are modeled in HOI2. I can't wait to see how/if they were changed in 1.3.

Adaml83 said:
Here here, to Nelson.

It's a shame we couldn't name a better Dreadnought after Nelson, instead of a treaty vessel.

The HMS Nelson and her sister HMS Rodney are the most powerful battleships afloat currently (1937). I'd think that is quite a tribute to the man, no? :D

2.45pm Tuesday 19th January 1937
The offices of the Times, London

Dawson once again read through the report that had been handed to him (complete with picture), and on the back of which he had already been presented with the first draft of an editorial condemning the Republican government and urging recognition of the Nationalists instead.

“CIUDAD REAL LIBERATED

By Kim Philby

Yesterday morning (the 18th) Ciudad Real was liberated by Nationalist forces. I arrived ‘hot-on-their-heels’ and was able to witness the welcome they received from the indefatigable residents of this shattered city.

And let no one be in any doubt: this city is truly shattered. The Communist and Anarchist forces have pulled out leaving a trail of devastation in their wake; barely one house in ten is still habitable in my opinion, and those buildings and services that one would take for granted are in shambolic ruins. The few inhabitants who were not forced to flee by the forces of the left expressed to me their gratitude that the forces of law and order have at long last arrived.

An eyewitness explained to me what happened last week: a convoy of covered lorries arrived carrying men in civilian clothing who identified themselves as displaced miners, they brought with them many boxes upon which an armed guard was mounted. Only after a series of Nationalist air raids directed primarily against the bridge over the Rio Guadiana to the north did the contents of the wooden boxes become apparent to my informant. The air attack alarm remained in place throughout the afternoon and evening and so the bulk of the population remained in their shelters; thus it was all too easy for the Reds to attribute the subsequent destruction to the Nationalist aircraft. In fact the boxes contained explosive mines and equipment for the spraying of petrol. My informant told me that the ‘displaced miners’ set about the systematic destruction of the heart of the city with undisguised glee. As the explosions begun the terrified inhabitants cowered in their shelters, under the mistaken belief that they were the subjects of an intense aerial bombardment.

As night fell on the 11th people emerged from hiding, and some few, realising what was happening, tried to intervene: their bodies are those portrayed in the communist propaganda photo’s. The effects of their handiwork must have surprised even the Anarchist incendiarists and dynamiters: the fires raged out of control, disguising their true cause and creating total panic and confusion beyond their wildest dreams.

The foreign correspondents here, myself included, are agreed that the principal damage to Ciudad Real was caused by the actions of the Anarchists and Reds before they evacuated the city, and that the propaganda of the Republican side has since tried to blame the whole thing on the air service of the forces of law and order.

Fortunately for Spain it looks as through the whole of the province of Albacete will soon be in Nationalist hands. One can only hope that the Republican forces in Madrid will at last see sense, finally stand up to the Communists and Anarchists, and accept the terms of General Franco.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG] ”

He riled against Philby’s use of English, particularly his inordinate use of the colon and semi-colon. And of course the whole thing contradicted the information he was getting from His Majesty’s Government. Was it possible H.M.G. was misinformed? Even that elements in the military were attempting to increase the war budget by conspiring to misinform Neville? And at the same time (either deliberately or as a consequence) undermine his policy of appeasement? And thereby risk another war.

‘Whatever the truth of the matter,’ he thought, ‘the main lesson to come out of all this is the need to avoid war…Yes, perhaps Neville is right. We have to keep on aiming to accommodate German needs by sensible compromise, yet the policy of disarmament has failed to inspire them to follow our lead. So maybe disarmament is a dead horse afterall, and if we keep on flogging it we will merely end up boosting the cause of the home-grown warmongers. A careful course of measured re-armament might persuade the Germans that they cannot walk all over us, but rather need to come to an accord with us. But it will be a tricky balancing act as regards signals sent out abroad and at home. Measured strength but with the clear desire to compromise…That’s why the Ciudad Real affair is so problematic to handle…and advice from Neville so helpful.’

He was minded to print Philby’s story – his readers were intelligent enough to realise that the facts lay somewhere between that and the hysterical rantings of the leftwing press. And with an editoral explaining how the conflicting reports coming out of Spain show that truth is one of the first casualties of modern warfare, along with civilians. The death and destruction was real, and the cause was war; war which led normal human beings to be responsible for the most beastly consequences. War had to be avoided. And over the next few weeks his ‘paper would look at past and current efforts to avoid war, and what needed to be done now.

Right. He would get onto his German correspondant straight away to find out more about Hitler’s desire for peace. And he would send a copy of Philby’s report to Neville and outline his own thoughts – any help and advice would naturally be much appreciated. Indeed it occurred to him that a stronger Britian might help Hitler to control those voices on his side who argued for a confrontational line.

Braedonnal said:
The HMS Nelson and her sister HMS Rodney are the most powerful battleships afloat currently (1937). I'd think that is quite a tribute to the man, no? :D

OOC: Can't fault a man for being ambitious, especially when the 1st of the KGV class are set to appear in 1937.

Besides, I'd prefer something along Vanguard or Iowa-classes to be named after Nelson.

OOC: Braedy, it is indeed a shame the the way CL's are set up is so out of kilter with reality.

Addy, I think it's the improved design, and it's just started. A spot came up and I was able to start it before the Illustrious design was finished. Sir Cyril is livid at the preference shown towards the Admiralty in this decision.

The Nelson is our most powerful warship currently in service..... waste of good tonnage that it is! :D

Dury.

22 January
Cabinet Room

Sir Owen Boyd, Chief of the Royal Air Force, sat opposite Chamberlain. Despite being in the job now for a long time Boyd had not made much of an impression on Chamberlain. Neville had asked him in for an update on the RAF but the real reason was to chat to him on a more personal level, to find out if he really was up to his job. So far, he'd past with flying colours.

"So the second Group of Tactical Bombers at Liverpool now has the Hampdens?"

"Yes Mr Prime minister. The last of this batch was delivered yesterday and they are now training on the new aircraft. The improvements over the old machines is marked but we think we can create even better machines within a couple more years, infact we feel we need to."

"Good, good." Chamberlain liked a man who was always working to improve. He paused to check his notes. "And the ceremony for the 30th is still on schedule, no problems?"

"Everything is proceding as you have asked. It should be quite a display with three full squadrons of the new fighters doing a fly past of the dais. I'll also mention that No12 Fighter Group will also go operation with Hurricanes on the 28th but I'd ask you not to announce that in your speech. It will give the enemy an idea of how quickly we're building our aircraft."

"Alright, I won't mention that. My aim is to strengthen our world position, not give the whole damn shop away. Now, I think that is all Sir Owen. Thank you for the briefing, I know doing so in person is a bit unusual but I thought it would be good to do, once in a Blue Moon."

Sir Owen went to rise, "Thank you Mr Prime Minister. It was a pleasure."

Neville smiled back, "Thank YOU Sir Owen, and in private it's just Neville. Today was very valuable. It's good to know the RAF is in such good hands."

Neville rose and leant over the desk, shaking Sir Owen's hand. "Thank you for coming, my Secretary will show you out."

Sir Owen was then led out. Neville grabbed the folder from the bottom of his pile and opened it to a dossier of Sir Owen. Next to his name at the top Nevile wrote a single word "Sound" and then he shut the file.

-----------------------
OOC: Welcome to Quicky, as Sir Owen Boyd, he is now head of the RAF. I know this jumps him over Kingy but please don't take this as a slight. There will be ample opportunities for people to hold different positions before this AAR is through. Everyone will get a turn at numerous roles, I am sure.

OOC: Well it doesn't matter all that much if it's the best vessel of Jan or Feb 37, but it does if it's the best by Sept. 39. Sir Thomas is much like Sir Cyril, what is available now works, but better equipment is coming into production soon, and that's what's important.

Either way that "waste of tonnage" will keep the enemy's "waste of tonnage" off the Army's backs.

Is Neville going to have another ceremony for the Navy's new destroyers? ;)

Need I remind anyone that the minster "Sir Owain Boyd" for us is a huge mistake on behalf of the game. The real chief of the air staff is 'Sir Edward Ellington'. Just a name thats all.