• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@ Ygor
Why thank you! While Swedish Chef favors the more subtle, socially-acceptable way of conquest, Gonzo play by his own rules :)

@Boris ze Spider
Yes, the true rulers of Sweden are back, if you ask me, the current king of Sweden, looks quite like a muppet
King_Carl_XVI_Gustaf_at_National_Day_2009_Cropped.png

@Blsteen
Thank you and yes, they won't get away so easily next time :)

Working on the next Chapter, but I has nub question :) Trade Depot's, good or bad? +1 trade income is a bit too vague for my slow head

Your king doesn't look great in this photo, it's true. What are his stats? :p

To answer your question, I have no idea about the Trade Depot. :p

Trade depots add +1 to the COT they deliver to. Which means that you gain a fraction of that in income. So overall, I don't find them useful unless you have a COT or a big free-trader.

So say your province has a trade value of 16. With a depot they now give 17 to the COT. But that doesn't really mean much since you only can have 5-6 slots in a COT and your TE is quite low early on.

The trade buildings are pretty weak in a lot of cases.

You're certainly doing much better than my attempt at Sweden. I warred with Denmark and Norway endlessly, ran up huge debts/inflation and then fell foul of the Reformation. It wasn't until 1560 that Scandinavia was at relative peace! :)

@Boris ze Spider
I wish that was true, if it was then id pounce on it, but as it turns out it just adds one extra trade "point" or whatever to that CoT :p and thats not verry great....

@ Ygor & Omen
He's funny like that isn't he? :) I think his traits are:
Forgetting the name of cities he's currently holding a speach in ***
Looking funny *****
Consorting with strippers and whatnot ****

A true man of the people :)

@ Ashantai
Thanks for the info :)

@ Arakhor
Thank you! I've been quite lucky but you can usually beat Denmark and Norway by having a greater navy, if you use your navy to lock out denmark the rest is easy :)

Sorry everyone for the delay in my next chapter, I've gotten a bad cold and been lying in bed with a fever for a few days now :( But the fever is gone today so I think ill write some tomorrow!

Chapter 9: More reckless behavior!

traderefusal.jpg

As the news spead of the Swedish annexation of Denmark, more countries felt obliged to say something and King Gonzo soon got a letter from Castile and Burgundy, it read:

Dearest Gonzo.

We heard you had conquered the Danish, good for you! But what is this we hear of you imposing a sound due?! No this will not do! Therefore we would like you to know that your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries! So there!

Your two friends, Castile and Burgundy

P.S.
We almost forgot, you're no longer welcome in our trade centers

While Gonzo was hurt by that mean and at the same time very true remark about his parents, he didn't bother much about their embargo since he had no interest in their petty trade centers. Nevertheless he thought it might be a good idea to lay low for a while.

marriagepol.jpg

To improve Sweden's relations with local powerhouses a marriage was arranged with Poland, who had managed to get Lithuania as a vassal and rumors also spoke of them into space, whatever that meant. A future alliance with Poland would surely be beneficial since they are close but at the same time not close enough to be in the way of Sweden's ambitions.

bohemia.jpg

King Gonzo had heard news of the Bohemian inheritance of Urbino and was now looking into the full width of the Bohemian sphere of influence, they had spread far indeed and looked to have complete control of the holy roman empire, this was not good, not good at all.

If they would continue to hold the seat as they had the last 60 years they would no doubt eventually be able to unite the vast empire under their banner. He realized that Sweden needed to dismantle the empire before that happened, but before such a goal could be achieved Sweden would have to become even more powerful.

teutonwar.jpg

While busy with improving the realms interior, King Gonzo received a call to arms from their ally Novgorod, who were in need of help defending against the Teutonic Order. As the Teutonic Order for some unexplainable reason had chosen to break their alliance with Sweden there was little hesitation and soon Swedish soldiers were besieging Estland and Ösel.

teutonpeace.jpg

The war was quite uneven in favor for Sweden who had taken control of the defending side of the war, and soon peace was brokered, where the Teutonic Order would pay Sweden 68 ducats, not a grand prize but King Gonzo did not wish to gain any more infamy and saved any territorial expansion for the future.

Only a few months after the last war Novgorod called to arms yet again, this time against Muscovy, Gonzo agreed but was beginning to tire of his ally's endless warmongering, so un-stylish, not at all like the classy wars that he himself devoted his life to.

reason.jpg

It was at this time that a proper reason for war was presented to Gonzo, an old document was found in the libraries of Tre Kronor castle, the document stated that Neva was actually a Swedish province, of course this was written by a total moron but old documents are old documents and old documents are indisputable proof, this saved him the trouble of looking for a reason in the bible.

novgorodwar.jpg

The final nail in the Novgorodian coffin came when the war with Muscovy ended and they directly asked Sweden to join in a war against the Ottoman Empire. Sweden declined and declared war on Novgorod. Two countries saw this as an act of treachery on Sweden's part and joined Novgorod, these were Pommerania and Nizhny Novgorod.

King Gonzo had long looked for a reason to claim Vorpommern and now the opportunity had shown itself, but it was not without its risks, Pommerania had a well trimmed army that while not as disciplined as Sweden's was superior in morale. So instead of just blockading Pommerania's armies, Gonzo split his own in two, one half to deal with Novgorod and one half to deal with Pommerania.

disaster.jpg

Pommerania's armies proved a formidable foe and not once but twice did they manage to obliterate one of the two armies that were fighting in their lands and it was only when Gonzo hired a brilliant General that the tide was turned and Victory could be secured.

easternfront.jpg

Things were not looking too good on the eastern front either as a 15000 strong Novgorodian army was wreaking havoc in Finland, but in contrast to the well drilled armies of Pommeriana, Novgorod's forces were merely glorified farmers and 10000 Swedish soldiers were enough to turn the tide.

tideturn.jpg

As the balance was shifting and Novgorod was beginning to loose, several of its neighbors smelled the scent of blood and soon the vultures swooped in, the vultures being the Teutonic Order, Ryazan and Tver.

The war was won and it was time to set the terms for peace.

Pommerania would become Sweden's vassal and secede Vorpommern, a deal that would accomplish Gonzo's mission to aquire said province, only problem was that the war was not started on that casus belli and Sweden gained a great deal of infamy by this.

As for Novgorod, Gonzo had hoped to take Neva, Kexholm and Ingermanland but the Teutonic order had occupied Ingermanland, and Gonzo settled with only Neva and Kexholm, he felt abit weary of the extra infamy regardless.

newmap.jpg

Gonzo looked at his kingdoms newfound glory and burst out in evil laughter, well... some said evil laughter, others said childish giggle. How should I know? were you there?! I wasn't...

Sorry for the delay in updates, fever sucks :) I wonder if I'm getting reckless with infamy, I'm usually quite careful about doing anything that gives me infamy over 5 :p I'm up at 16 again >.<

oh and post nr 69.... giggity

Very nice expansion! Who are you allies now? Beware high infamy though!

Thank you! :) Right now my allies are Norway and Pommerania :p So I'm solo mode at the moment :) I'm probably going to form an alliance with Poland once they're done fighting the Golden Horde, for some reason countries don't want alliances if they're already at war (even if the other country isn't)

And now to secure the rest of the Baltic :cool:

(By the way, it was indeed treachery what you did to Novgorod :eek:)

And now to secure the rest of the Baltic :cool:

(By the way, it was indeed treachery what you did to Novgorod :eek:)

You say treachery, Gonzo says friendly rivalry ;) whats a few thousand soldiers deaths between friends?

How mauch infamy do you have btw?

I'm at 14 so not that bad, was up at 16 when I took Denmark, but since I'm usually very cautious with infamy and rarely get much higher than five I'm worrying that this long-time exposure to infamy will cause people to band up against me, but then again that would be quite historically correct :)

@Legendary Bard
Thank you :) My jokes do tend to be silly, it's good to know that at least one person finds it amusing :D

@blsteen
I'll try but with my new mission to conquer estland and whatnot, I can't make any promises :D

Chapter 10: The crossroads or GonzoCon 1469

With Neva and Vorpommern conquered Gonzo found himself out of ideas, well that's not really fair, he had many ideas but they were all reckless and all involved Gonzo's newfound passion, impaling things, usually people. But alas, impaling people, as fun as it may be, tend to cause a lot of noise and Sweden's neighbors were still complaining about the ruckus from Gonzo's last impalement party.

He sighed and gave up the thought of another party for the moment and started reading the latest edition of Weekly Parchment Now! In it they had ranked the different kingdoms in lists of descending order depending on different things.

incomelist.jpg

He turned to the page where they listed Nations depending on their yearly income and smiled as he saw that Sweden was on fourth place, and only behind Castile and the Ottoman Empire by a small amount. A few pessimists pointed out that fourth place is third looser but those who did were swiftly impaled, neighbors be damned!

techlist.jpg

With nay-sayers dealt with Gonzo returned to looking at the lists, moving on to the Technology list, there too he liked what he saw, while not number one on everything, Sweden had managed to catch up with the other western countries and there wasn't a single major power that could boast to be more advanced than Sweden. Those who thought it not enough were smart enough not to say so.

navylist.jpg

Turning to the navy list Gonzo's smirk lessened abit, their hated enemy the Teutonic Order had a bigger navy! This would not do! Especially since Gonzo had a long term goal to nibble on the Teutonic northern border, the Teutonic navy consisted mostly of crappy galleys but still! The Swedish navy could do with some more ships he noted to himself.

armylist.jpg

With the next list Gonzo's smirk turned to a frown, Sweden's armies were only enough to land him on a 12th place, and yet again the damn Teutonic Order had more! Several German states also had a vastly greater army and while the turks and russians usually ran at the sight of proper soldiers, Germans had unfortunately learned the ways of war. Gonzo noted that steps to improve the army would be sorely needed and his dream of dissolving the Holy Roman Empire would have to wait a long while.

economy-1.jpg

He threw away the parchment and while inspecting the kingdoms daily economy he asked his advisors, who still lived, what army and navy Sweden could muster without it weighing down the economy too much.

He found out that Sweden had 20 000 soldiers and could easily field 35 000, a number that would land Sweden on third place in the parchments list.

As for the navy Sweden currently had 21 ships and could support 35 ships without any extra economical penalties. Which would land Sweden on a fifth place, not great but still, quite alright.

He considered the idea of holding an impalement fest at Teutons place once more but they were allied with the Hansa, a bunch of asses Gonzo didn't like to hang out with and Poland had put a guarantee on them, since they were neighbors and didn't like strange noises after bedtime. He sighed and sent a message to his buddy Norway to tell him that the party was off.

worldmap.jpg

Finally after several hours of boredom he got an idea, he would assemble all of the kingdoms nobles and have them throw ideas at him, and so it was that GonzoCon 1469 started. Wine and spirits poured from every crevasse and several new species were discovered from the drunken adultery that took place. Oh yeah, before all that Gonzo threw a map of the world at their feet and said "come up with ideas quickly so we can start the drinking"

This update is intended as an in character vote without any preset alternatives, as I can't decide what to do, if I should continue to improve Sweden's economy, if I should improve the army, or navy, or both, or if I should be doing something completely different.

This update is done without allowing any time to pass, I hope those lists and pictures (as well as the text) will be informative on Sweden's state right now and its potential. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Oh and any votes written in character as a swedish nobleman of your choice is a plus, could be anything from Dolf Lundgren to Gary Busey to.... snoopy, I don't know, so doesn't have to be Swedish :p If you can't be bothered than just saying your idea is perfectly fine!