• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Carthaginians should be planning out their manoevers for the night. But the idea was for the Romans to deploy their camp before any scouting operations are carried out by either side.

The flow goes something like this. The Romans will set up their camp and try to cross the river in a way to best protect themselves during the night. The scouting scenario will then play out where the Carthaginians and Romans do their best to discern what the battlefield will be, what the enemy have got with them, positions, etc. After that, both sides should submit their plans for deployment and a rough battle plan for the next day, based on what their commanders would be able to predict. The Carthaginian plan should be as close to what Hannibal actually did as possible, modified only to adjust if the Romans have done something unexpected. So even if the Carthaginians botch the scouting, Hannibal would probably still plan something like Cannae, as he would have knowledge of his opponent from the previous skirmish. The Romans are only restricted by their commander's knowledge, and by the capabilities of their soldiers.

So once the Romans are ready, both sides can make their opening moves. Onus is on the Romans to set up camp at the moment. Of course, both sides should consider the necessity of scouting. The Carthaginians historically harassed the Roman water carriers as well prior to the battle, so this is something the Carthaginians should plan to do even if they have all the information they need.

Sorry, we could have explained things better. Romans, you also need to consider water. Carthaginians, you have to work out the best way to disrupt that water supply.

But you have to get enough of it to camp to drink.

But you have to get enough of it to camp to drink.

So are we supposed to tell someone 'send 1,000 men to carry water back to camp'?

Or something like that?

Okay, well how about this:

Send ordinary scouting force across river to provide a screen for the crossing in the morning.

Send normal water-collecting force to the river during the night.

Main army break camp and cross river at dawn.

I know the other Roman commander is supposed to do that but he is MIA currently.....

What kind of soldier are you using for the scouting force? Equites or Velites? Also, I take that to mean the rest of your forces will be concentrated inside a Roman Castra? (Temporary camp fortification.)

So people seem to be confused about orders. A part of this is lack of research, you need to know the types of things armies need to be doing, so you should be prepared. Setting up the gather of important supplies, sending scouts, setting up a watch, etc. That type of thing should be organized by a general. But the more specific the better.

When placing orders you need to be fairly specific. You need the type of unit, and the order. A number is nice as well, or something to indicate the size. If you say "an ordinary scouting group with light cavalry" we know its a pretty small group of light cavalry. We need to know what your orders are so we can carry them out exactly as you intend, so be as specific so it's not confusing to any of the parties.

Once again, it would help if the Roman player who was supposed to be doing this part of the plan didn't disappear on us....

Wait, is that me? Or is it reis? Or wait, what?

The Carthaginians pretty much have our stuff organized and ready. We just need for the Romans to kick it off.

Unless ese and tamius aren't ready, in which case we need more planning.

Wait, is that me? Or is it reis? Or wait, what?

Pretty sure it was you, with reis and myself controlling the actual combat portion.

Ehm, I was never told this?

Actually, I'm pretty sure I said it pages back.

First come first served. Chief is Mago, Doombunny is Paulus and Calculator is the first of our two Varro representatives.

Based on the info we were given the two Varro representatives would handle the actual battle itself, with Paulus advising, and Paulus would handle the initial deployment, with the Varro representatives advising.

Ah, ok. I'll come up with a plan, hang on.