• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, I'm not criticizing you, I'm just saying that the railroads should probably already be represented from the outset, and not have to be built. They were already there, after all. :p

Chapter 10 - Collaspe of Peace - (Jan - Dec 1939 DI)

On the 9th of February, Italy Joined the Axis. Tension increases though out the world. Where will it end??? On the 13th of March "The Rome-Berlin Axis" event came up. Even though it is tempting to lower my nuetrality even more, the switching to more of an Fascist government is not how I plan to play this one. So I choose "This is a bad thing." which has no effects. On the 20th of March another turn facist event happened, The "Anti-Comitern Pact" was signed. As said a few lines before, I don't want to go the facist route, but the good thing is I still get 50 extra manpower and another 5 drop from neutrality. After that event our Neutrality is only 34, the good thing here is most likely I will be able to declare war in 1942 if I am not brought into the war earlier. On the 28th of March severla things happened. First the Czechs mobilized right before Germany annexed them. At the same time Italy annex Albania. Which ccaused the chain reaction of France mobilizing. On the 29th of March, Great Britain guarenteed the independence of Poland. March is surely a busy month.

HoI3_1-4.jpg

HoI3_2-3.jpg

HoI3_4-2.jpg

On April 21st Hungary joined the Axis. On a side, most of my airplane techs improved to the 1939 techs, so atleast in airpower I will not be behind most likely. Just so you know what I am doing with production, As ICs came availiable I try to keep supply need. Then I made sure that I produced new CLs for the CTFs. After that I started to produce aircraft to fill what I wanted. Transport Planes are done, I have the rest of the Naval bombers in production, I have increased Tactical bomber production so far. Another concern is that Japan seems to be sitting idle. I would think it would take Yunnan or something like that.

HoI3_6-3.jpg

On the 8th of August Germany and Russian signed the Molotov-Ribbentopp Pact. Looks like war will be close to historical dates. On the 11th German started mobilizing. On the 1st of September, Danzig or War fired and Germany declare a war on Poland and is at war with the Allies. Italy, Hungary and Japan is not in the war, just Germany and Slovia. Germany ofcoarse made the decision Blitzkrieg. On the 16th of September, South Africa joined the Allies. On the 19th of Setember it was all over for Poland and they surrendered. This pulled New Zealand into the Allies. On the 29th Germany Declared War on Denmark.(Did not Know it till I saw Denamrk surrendering.)

HoI3_7-3.jpg

On October 2nd, USA declared a state of Emergency. Not only does this give me an effect, but tanother drop in neutrality. On the 3rd the Sinking of the SS Athenia happened, giving me a reason to join the war against Germany. But again, I go historical and ignore it. Denmark surrendered on the 15th, pulling Canada into the Allies.

HoI3_8-1.jpg

On the 6th of November the "Neutrality Act of 1939" happened. I debated with my self what to do here and decided by not passing it, I will be at zero nuetrality and my Government should switch back to Democrats, so it will be more historical. So I went with not passing it. And put my production to remove the dissent. On the 11th, UK asked us to join the war. Playing Historical, I said no. the Netherlands mobilized on the 13th. On the 17th, all my dissent was gone and switched back to normal production.

HoI3_10-1.jpg

On the 7th of Decemeber, Australia joined the Allies. On the tech front, I have 1938 and 1939 level techs for land doctrines, Most of the air unit doctrines are only 1936. And the Naval Doctrines are at 1937 levels, So I feel maybe I needed to minize what I research to the minimums...but maybe we will be alright. We should have 2 almost two full years to still build up. Looks like the we will have the Navy pretty close to where I want it, want the Battleship SAGs to have newer destroyers, the 3 CTFs with 4CVs,2CVLs and 6 CLs. I will tell you about the Air forces in the comparison chapter which is next.

Last edited:
Chapter 11 - 1939 FtML and Comparison (Jan - Dec 1939 FtML) -

The playing of the FtML game was a little more interesting because the war started. There was one event allowing the US to reduce their neutrality by 10. Everything else was mainly war events and event shown in the DI game. Due to the low IC level I do believe there will be alot more difference in the comparison. So lets do it.

Just like last year I will only list important resources.
Rares - 45392 DI vs 8320 FtML
Supplies - 4681 DI vs 72785 FtML
Money - $8627 DI vs $16121 FtML
Manpower - 771 DI vs 156 FtML
Manpower monthly gain - 26.6 DI vs 8.8 FtML
Officers - 11097 DI vs 10504 FtML
Production - 0/300/412 DI vs 0/275/171 FtML
CG need - 6.19 DI vs 1.03 FtML

Army Comparison - the FtML game has built 17 artillery garisons which the DI has yet to produce. (I felt the FtML game had to start earlier to prepare the defenses and make 3 INF + 1 ART from 4 INF divisions which willl be done in both games. Once the CVs and CAGs are done in DIs. Production List a mass ART build will be made.)

Navy Comparison - DI has 1 more CV, 14 more DDs, 6 more CVLs and 8 more Cls

Air Units comparison - Di has 2 more CAGs (CAGs for the CVLs are still in production), 1 less Int F, 3 More FTRs, 1 more NAV, 2 STR and 2 more TACs.

I believe DI is about 6 tech researchs ahead from FtML.

Summary - Both games will use 1940 to setup the defenses of USA territories, Restructure the fronts. Make sure the Pearl Harbor has the ships needed and such. As you can see in the DI game, a push for getting the Air Force and Navy to desired levels were done. 1940 should see a turn toward increasing army composition, while trying to finish getting the others to finalized composition.

I am making use of a mothball fleet. This fleet will stay in port pre-war. This will basically be use to hold ships of mid-war design that thier use would violate the numbers I said are max, or ships I replaced in the original fleets. I would destroy them, but by having them will increase my total ship count where maybe I will get the grand fleet effect. These also represents to me the destroyers that were sent to Britain for the "Destroyers for Bases." The first destroyers put in here was the destroyers from the Ranger CTF which has been renamed the 2nd USN Carrier Taskforce, since I use CLs to escourt carriers. As I replace destroyers for the SAGs, those will go into the Mothball Fleet. I am sure I don't have time to replace all the ships in each fleet (could you imagine trying to make 15 BBs to replace the ones I already have?) but my main goal right now is to replace as many rank one ships as possible, especially those in places in western pacific where those fleet might see action first. Since I have not researched CAs, I can't replace them.

Keep it going!!! Love the way you are comparing FtM vs DI:SS. Just picked up DI:SS on sale at Amazon, so your explaining the differences is greatly appreciated. Consider me a fervent reader :)

Chapter 12 - As War Approaches - (Jan - Dec 1940 DI) -

As 1940 start, we are offered a decision weither we want to take over control of Iceland and Greenland. Since this will allow us to stage forces closer to Europe I feel it is a must do. And Since it will be in USAs hands, until the Axis Declares war, it will be a safe from the Axis trying to take it prior to USA being at war. I tried to make sure I don't have a fracture government, and I found a new minister I like, Henry Ford. With his +10 ICs it is obvious that we use him. Another thing I will try to do is increase the amount of supplies USA has. With under 5k, we are in no way ready for war. On the 16th Luxemberg mobilized.

Greenland.jpg

On April 6th, I had the event of the Opposition Leader Assasination Attempt. I decided to take the option to try to cool things down so I don't get a dissent hit.

Assassination.jpg

On the 15th of May Germany declared war on Norway. On May 21st, Soviet Union took land from Finland ending the Finish-Soviet War.

On June 7th The Soviet Union annexed the Baltic States. On June 20th Italy joined the war against the Allies.

ItalyJoins.jpg

On 16th August, France surrendered and Vichy France was formed. Japan also demanded Indo China from France and France gets the "Shame of Defeat" effect. On the 17th, the United Kingdom got the decision "Their Finest Hour." On August 23rd, Germany Conquers Norway.

VichyFrance.jpg

FranceShame-UKFinest.jpg

On the Second of September we took the Decision for "Bases for Destroyers." This basically gave use access to all UK ports. On the 6th of September, Germany declared war on Greece and Yugoslavia.

Destroyers4Bases.jpg

On October 3rd we had "Eagle Squadron" event. On October 10th I got "Peacetime Military Service" event. On the 12th got the Event allowing me to make the Paramarine unit. On the 21st, Germany annexed Yugoslavia. On the 25th of October, the United Kingdom Annexed Ethiopia. On the 29th Italy conquered Greece.

EagleSquad.jpg

PeacetimeMilitary.jpg

Paramarines.jpg

On Novemeber 3rd, Italy decided Trains will run ontime. On November 8th, the presidential elections were held and the Democrats won. So in come Franklin D. again and company. As soon as he was put in office I redid the cabinet to prevent a Fractured Government and to install a few favorite ministers. On November 5th, the USSR mobilized.

1940Elections.jpg

On the 30th of December, The "Arsonal of Democracy" event which enables the same effect fired. I believe this is what allows me to modify the Lend lease Laws.

ArsonalofDemocracy.jpg

At the end of 1940. The Europe map looks like this. Axis Countries are: Gemany, Italy, Ethiopia (In Exile), Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia and Romania.

Europe1940.jpg

Here is a shot of how well Italy is doing in Egypt. They haven't closed the Suez Cannel yet but it looks like they are overwelming the Brits.

Egypt1940.jpg

In the East the Axis countries are Japan, Manchukao, Mengkukao, Xibei San Ma. The Allies are Great Britain, Iraq, Oman,Yeman, Bhutan, Nepal, South Africa, Austrailia and New Zealand with the following countries in Exile - France, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Greece and Yugoslovia. THe Comterms are the Soviet Union, Mongolia and Tanuu Tuva. All in all an event and long year for being at peace, atleast we are. I was surprised that Germany did not attack Luxemberg, Belguim and the Netherlands. It might bite them in the rear if they get swayed to the allies and Great Britain or even the USA fortifies the area.

Asia1940.jpg

Next Chapter will be the comparision Chapter for 1940.

Last edited:
Chapter 13 - 1940 FtML and Comparison (Jan - Dec 1940 FtML) -

The playing of the FtML game was not as interesting as I wished since the USA gets few reports how the was is going in Europe or Asia. The first half of the year had no events at all. So I decided to look around the world. When I looked at Europe, Germany was not doing as well as I thought it might, it should of taken France by now. In August, I recieved the "Stab in the Back event, which means Italy joiined the fight against the Allies before France fell. This event drops the USA's neutrality and would only be done by human Axis players in a case of total German failure on the western front. Ath this point USAs neutrality allowed "1 year draft" and "Basic Mobilization."

StabBack.jpg

I did get that France conquered Ethiopia. It shocked me that France was doing other things besides trying to defender her homeland. It took Germany till October to finish off France. And with the Vichy Event and Japan requesting Indochina, USAs Nuetrality dropped enough to goto the "2 Year Draft" and " Full Mobilization." Then I also was given an event to give me the "Love of Freedon" effect giving a !0% bonus ICs and Leadership.

In November the 1940 elections happened and to my surprise the Republicans won. But even more of a surprise was the President and Vice Presisdent both has a -5% ICs each. And ofcoarse I still did not get a good minster like Henry Ford. So I am glad neutrality is lowering, but the FtML game still seems too slow to grow. Some how Ethiopia became free again on the axis side??? not sure how that worked.

Just like last year I will only list important resources.
Rares - 52266 DI vs 9615 FtML
Supplies - 32542 DI vs 66717 FtML
Money - $10135 DI vs $17379 FtML
Manpower - 1092 DI vs 197 FtML
Manpower monthly gain - 28.4 DI vs 17.7 FtML
Officers - 18648 DI vs 12618 FtML
Production - 0/309/509 DI vs 0/277/311 FtML
CG need - 20.36 DI vs 7.20 FtML

Army Comparison - the DI game started its Army Builds and now has 8 of 8 Armor and 2 of 16 LArmor that FtML game could not produce. The DI game now has 4 of 4 Calvary compared to the 2 original in FtML. The DI game has the original 14 of 18 garrisons, where the FtML game has 15. Both games has 0 of 45 Milita, 0 of 8 Motorized, 0 of 8 Mech, 0 of 4 Airborne and 0 of 12 Marines. The DI game has 15 of 60 Infantry and 75 of 108 NGs. Where the FtML game has 81 of 168 Infantry. Note all DI Infantry, Garrison and NG are organized in 3X + Art + AA. Most of the FTM is 3X + Art.

Air Force Comparison - 30 of 33 CAGs DI, 16 of 23 for FTML (This is due to FtML not hoping to produce 3 CTFs before war start. 20 DI/12FtML of 20 Int F, 8DI/8FtML of 8 Ftr, 6DI/6FtML of 6 NAV, 12DI/5FtML of 12 STR, 18DI/10FtML of 18 TAC, 4DI/4FtML of 4 Tra. As you can see, in the DI game besides having the 3 spare CAGs, the Air Force is at desired level.

Navy Composition - Both games still have the original 15 BBs of 25 Max, 16 CAs of 18 Max, 18 SSs of 27 Max and 24 TPs of 36 Max. DI has 12 of 12 CVs where FtML has 5 and 6 of 6 CVLs where FtML has 0. FtML game has 39 of 54 DDs where DI has 44. FtML game has 21 CLs of 36, where DI has 28.

Note: Due to a severe crash (damage to save) near the end of the year of the DI game, I forgot to deploy forces from Washington, DC and Norfolk. It should take less then a month for me to do most of the deployment, especially getting the desired units to Pearl Harbor. Most of the units are setup in the FtML game except those awaiting Artillary to be added to them.

The Mothball fleet is just in name, since I still have less then the max of any ship type in the fleet. Unit setup is basically to try to put 1 Division on every Alaska, Colon, and Island provence and 1 division in the Phillipines. Pearl will have atleast 1 CTF (4xCVs, 2xCVLs, 6xCLs), 3 BB SAGs (3xBBs, 3xDDs), 2 Wolfpacks (3xSSs), 4 ASW Groups (2x(3xCAs,3xDDs), 2x(3xCAs,1xCLs,2xDDs)). The 2 other FTs will not be in the Pacific. Will put the 2nd CTF in Iceland and the 3rd CTF in Norfolk (doing Sea Trials.) The rest of the pacific fleet will be anywhere I please, not that there is much left.

As for Fronts. I will be setting up 6 Fronts. East USA (Washington, DC.), West USA (San Francisco), Alaska (Ankridge), Eastern Pacific (Pearl Harbor), Western Pacific (Guam), Europe (Reykjavik). The two Mainland ones are mainly for staging the units to be sent to the Action. The 3 other in the Pacific area is for defense of the Islands and Alsaska. The European Theater HQ can be moved when needed. Might need to amke a 7th one for places outside these like an African HQ.

Next year should be the last year I play both games since the games are really so different in what has happened and the comparison was for the buildup of forces mainly. I will probably push the Arsonal Techs so I can calculate IC/days for all units because I feel these techs will also be extremely important to how much the USA can produce a year.

Last edited:
Chapter 14 - Last Days of Peace - (Jan 1941 - Pearl Harbor + 2 DI)

As I said in the last Chapter that I would be using the first part of the year to distribute my forces to standard defense. The main part was to setup for Pearl Harbor so that there was no reason for it not to happen. It took only about a month to setup the fleet and most of the Army was in place by early March just in time for the End of Neutrality.

LendLeaseStart.jpg

The End of the Neutrality event happened on the 11th of March allowing the US to enact and start Lend Lease to both the Allies and Comterm. I realize it is costly for the US to do lend lease and I really wished the US could have did the Cash and Carry first but it never fired. Oh well, maybe next game. After choosing these events I was also able to Enact, "The Undeclared War" and "Lead Lease - Send Supplies Only"

UndeclaredWar.jpg

In June the headlines in the newpapers across the nation was talking how the war expanded. First the USSR declared war on Finland and that allowed them to take the decision, "For the Motherland" Just as the russian armies moved over the border, Germany launched its attack into Russia.

4theMotherland.jpg

On the 1st of July with the war expanding in Europe, the USA decided to increase it ranks by enacting the "Selective Training and Service Act of 1941" As tension increase the extra manpower will be a blessing.

SelectiveService.jpg

The United States at the beginning of August decided to amp up its undeclared war on Germany by expanding its are of patrols for submarines. Also negotions with Japan came to an ultimatum, where the US decided to embargo Japan.. On the 22nd of August the Soviet Union annexed Finland.

EmbargoJapan.jpg

In September, as Germany takes over the Baltic State and pushes over the Soviet border, the USSR enacted the effect of the "Great Patriotic War." A few days later the USA passed further Lend Lease Laws going to "Full Lend-Lease."

GreatPatrioticWar.jpg

On November 21st, Japan did it. A vast armada of planes can over the Hawaii and bombed and torpedoed ships, the airbase and the military buildings at Pearl Harbor. The declaration of war was delayed until after the attack. President Eisenhower made his famous speech about the Infamy of Japan. Congress passed several new policies to help the military ramp up to war including mobilizing the armed forces.

PearlHarbor.jpg

InfamySpeech.jpg

PolicyChanges.jpg

DayofInfamy.jpg

Mobilize.jpg

I end this Chapter here. USA is in a limited war with Japan. They are not at war with Germany or the rest of the Axis and is NOT an Allied member at this point. Next Chapter will be the last Comparison Chapter. I know the FtML can not come close to where the DI game is, but we will see.

Chapter 15 - 1941 FtML and Comparison - (Jan - Nov 23 1941 FtML)

If war between USA and Japan by Nov 21st, I will use the console to start the war. It is the only way I can fairly show the differences between how the mod and the Non moded game plays out and judge how well each is prepared for war. I don't feel this is cheating because I don't plan on finishing the FtML game and the game was only to demonstrate the differences.

Right at the beginning of 1941, I had two decisions I could make, First is to start the Lend-Lease Act. I know that UK and USSR gets an event when I enact it. So I did. The second decision was the Undeclared War. Which I also made. These decisions reduced my neutrality enough to change to "3 year draft" and "war mobilization." This finally got me closer to the DI game. It was easy in the DI game to get neutrality down, infact it was mid 1937 when DI was already at this state. The early increased IC helped to allow that game to increase its IC and I was alot to closer to the desired 150% above what the 1941 Barbarosa start has. I know atleast in Air Power I was there, we will check later in this chapter when I do the comparison. I guess right now I am just talking to myself. But what the heck...lets play on.

HoI3_2-4.jpg

HoI3_3-4.jpg

HoI3_4-3.jpg

HoI3_5-3.jpg

As time goes on I am maximizing upgrades and reinforcements, while still trying to produce some basic units like 2 L Armor divisions, a Marine division, a paratroop division. I am hoping to get as much completed as soon as I can. We slowly gained ICZs throughout the year. War started on Nov 5th so I don't need to do much, I set all commands to defensive stance and convoys of Germany and Japan have been sunk where I have not seen any of my convoys touched. What surprised me is that Japan is attack Guam (Started on the 19th) And it is his 4 to my 5 divisions, I imagine the units are simular, But it matters not since I got to Nov 22nd.

So lers do our last comparison first is important resources. Rares 58484 Di vs 19145 FtML, Supplies 93652 DI vs 41143 FtML, Money $9937 DI vs 16579 FtML , Manpower 2390 DI vs 656 FtML, Manpower monthly increase 56.8 DI vs 43.5 FtML, Officers 26782 Di vs 17128 FtML., Officer ratio 90% DI vs 106% FtML. ICs are 0/309/504 vs 0/277/457. CG 53.99 DI vs 4.56 FtML. With the difference in CGs, it means at this point in time both games are about dead even in the Production after CGs are factored in, infact the FtML would have a slightly higher amount.

Army differences. DI has 35 AA, 8 Arm, 16 AC, 35 Art, 4 CAV, 15 Gar, 15 Inf, 16 LA, 4 Mar, 8 Mech, 8 Mot, 4 Para, 13 Sp Art, 4 TDs, 4 Mar Raid, 1 Mar Para, 75 NG For a total of 265 brigades. FtML has 2 Arm, 28 Art, 2 Cav, 15 Gar, 81 Inf, 4 L Arm, 4 Mar, 6 Mot, 4 Para, 2 SP Art, 2TD for a total of 150 brigades.

Navy differences DI has 13 BBs, 12 CVs, 59 DDs, 6 CVLs, 16 CAs, 28 CLs, 27 SSs, 24 TPs for a total of 185 Ships. While FtML has 15 BBs (they apparently did not lose the 2 BBs when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor), 8 CVs, 44 DDs, 2 CVLs, 16 CAs, 23 Cls, 18 SS, 24 TPs for atotal of 150 ships.

Air Force differences DI has the following: 30 CAGs, 20 Int F, 8 Ftr, 6 NAVs, 12 STRs, 18 TACsand 4 TRANs for a total of 98 wings. The FtML game has: 18 CAGs, 12 Int F, 8 FTRs, 6 NAVs, 6 STRs, 15 TACs and 4 TRANs. That totals 69 wings.

Unit differences and production cost. I am going to show you the current table for unit production for each game. I also calculated IC/Days for you by multiplying IC cost per day multiplied by production time. First is the DI:SS table.

Production_DI.jpg

Then we can compare it to the table in the FtML game...I believe there will be a BIG difference.

production_FtML.jpg

I really hope these tables help show the differences. I know practicals affect these tables and they would be different if I made more/less of each type, but you get the idea with them. IS THERE ANY OTHER COMPARISON YOU WANT TO SEE BETWEEN THESE TWO GAMES???

Last edited:
I haven't played any of the Dies Irae mods, they look good overall, and add's some more dimensions to Germany or the US. I also like your comparison summery so far.

Chapter 16 - First Month after Pearl - (Nov 22 - Dec 31 1941)

As I sit here preparing to write the next part of this AAR I feel it needs more. I never been the best of creative writing so I will try to figure out something to say to make it a bit more entertaining. I reorganized the leadership of armed forces first before I did anything else. So here goes nothing. (I will play the first6 months as if Pearl Harbor was a surprise.)

At the cabinet meeting in the White House, you see the President hit his hands on the table and say, "Do not tell me what we can't do. I want to know what we can do now. The Japanese Navy is saiing the Pacific trying to take everything in its sights. We have the British begging us to get involved in the war in Europe and the the public waiting to see if I fail to reolve these problems. What can we do? Lets Run down each front and describe the plans. Lets go from the far west to the Far East. "So What does General Lear say about the Western Pacific Theather?"

The Secretary of the Navy, Claude Swanson, stands up and says, "We knew Tensions where high, but we thought we would hanve more time to prepare and we have few forces in the area. We have a standard division of infantry in the Phillipeans to help the locals defend these islands. We also have a Nation guard division both at Wake Island and Guam. All the land forces are undermaned. The Army Aircorps has also rushed in an Group of Interceptors and an air group of tactical bombers to Guam. As for the navy, we have the Asiatic fleet consisting of 1 heavy cruiser, 2 light cruisers and 2 destroyer groups. And we have two submarine groups 1 from the Phillipeans and the other at Guam. On the ships are ready, The general informed me, that the subs has orders to sink any convoys they can find. The Asiatic fleet will try to find any Japanese subs in the area while avoiding the rest of the Japanese fleet. When the aircorp is ready, they will harrass shipping, and scout out the islands of Rota, Tinian and Siapan. As described here, these forces are quite limited and I expect that if the Japanese decides to attack that they will be outmanned and gunned."

WesternPacific.jpg

The President nods and says, "Any chances of incrreasing the defense here?"

The Secretary shake his head and says, "The fleet at pearl harbor is wrecked, and without these ships to escort transports, no army units could be increased. As for the Navy, our Atlantic Fleetis engaged in anti-submarine warfare to assist the British. We do have the 3rd Carrier Taskforce which is doing seatrials at Norfolk. We could supply her and redeploy her where ever needed, but I have been trying to figure out where that should be. I am afraid if we sent them to Pearl, that the Japanese could attack us again there."

"On to the Eastern Pacific, General Allen. has informed me that the army is already preparing for more attacks. We have 7 divisions of National Guards in the Hawaillan Islands and another 6 on outlying Islands, but none at full strength. The Army Aircorp reports heavy losses at the airfields around Pearl. Reinforcement aircraft are on their way and they expect to have an airgroup of Fighters and one of tactical bombers. The Navy is also sending in a group of Naval Bombers and Naval Observation planes. The Navy reports that both the USS Oklahoma and the USS Arizona are damaged beyond repair. The other ships are being repaired as quickly as possible. We have enough ships to patrol around the Hawaiian Islands for anti- submarine duty, and we have the 1st Carrirer Task Force which was patrolling when Pearl was attacked. But 1 Carrier Taskforce is not enough to take on the Japaneese Navy."

EasternPacific.jpg

The president nods, and says. "Go on."

"In the waters of Alaska we have 1 squadron of submarines , an air group of tactical bombers and an air group of interceptors. We have ten divisions of National guards defending the Alaskan mainland and islands. We don't expect trouble here but we are prepared. We would tansfer some of theseunits to other fronts but the lack of escort ships for the transport ships makes this unlikely. We might have to strip the Army Aircorps from Alaska if other fronts need them more.."

AlaskanTheatre.jpg

"I see. Grim news indeed. What do we have on the US mainland?"

"On the West Coast we we have 3 marine divisions, one of them are raiders, but the 2 divisions are only half manned. We are also forming an Marine division made up of specially designed vehicles to protect our marines during amphibious assaults. We also have 4 Divisions of Light Armor. One air group of Interceptors and one of tactical Bombers are also training here. And the only Naval presence is the naval transportation fleet and an airgroup of Naval Bombers. Without escorts the transports will probably stay in port."

EastandWesternUSAMainland.jpg

The President nods, "I am glad to hear about the marines building up, we need them very soon, if we are going to fight the Japanese. The light Armor divisions will also help, if only to defend the coast. Unfortunately Tanks are not that good in Jungles. And what of the East Coast?"

"On th east coast, I believe we are in a little better situation. We have 4 divisions of Sherman tanks with Mechanical Infantry and another 4 division of lighter tanks and vehicles. We also have 2 divisions of motorized Infantry. Also our first Airborne division which has an additional brigade of special Marine Airborne being trained. There is one air group of Tactical Bombers, one air group of interceptors and one air group of transportation planes. The Navy has 2 ASW groups, The Third Carrier Taskforce, 1 Battleship Surface Action Group and two submarine groups. The Coast Guard is reporting 5 fleets of 3 destroyers groups also. Puerto Rico has a division of garrison troops, a group of submarines and 3 destroyers. Colon has antoehr garrison division, 1 submarine group, and a small nnavy including 1 heavy cruiser and 4 destroyers. Also an air group of tactical bombers is based in Colon."

"Our European front, based out of Iceland has 4 divisions of infantry to defend Iceland and Greenland. Two air groups of multi-role fighters and four air groups of Strategic Bombers trying to cover the oceans around these areas as best they can. Greenland bases another Surface Action Group, where Ice bases the 2nd Carrier Task Force and an ASW group. Not a large anount of forces, but we ae not officially at war with Germany or Italy."

Europe.jpg

"We are building up and creating, naval bases, airbases, and radar stations through out the Pacific and in Greenland and Iceland. We are increasing the Navy by building another Transportation Fleet (12 ships), a complete carrier Task Force (4CVs, 2 CVLs, 6 CLs abd 10 CAGs), another SAG (3 BBs, 3CLs) and 4 Submarine groups (of 3 subs each). We are increasing the army by producing 10 Infantry divisions, 6 more Marine divisions, and 5 Marine LVT brigades. For the Air Forces, we have 1 air group of Interceptors(4), 1 air group of multi-role fighters(4) and 1 air group of Naval Bombers(3) in producion also."

"I understand, our next topic is how are we going to hit Japan back? Does anyone have any ideas?" said the President. The picture fades as the we are brought back to other interests.
________________________________________________________________________________

On the 24 of November, Our diplomatic Corps were busy. First off, Panama wanting to show a sign to the USA, that they feel threatened, gave us permission to access their territories. The second event was the United Kingdoms plea for us to join forces against Japan and ofcoarse the rest of the Axis. quoting from the document given to our Embasy, "We will be alot stronger working together then apart." and another phrase was "It has been found out that the Germans plan to declare war on you soon, no need for another Pearl Harbor!" With careful consideration from the War Counsil, the USA decided to join the Allies. In secret the government started up the Manhattan Project. With in the first few days of the war with Japan, the US is already racking up several transports sunk in their convoys and even an escort. Also a day after the declaration of War against Germany, the air groups based in Iceland was rebased to Portsmouth, England. The Second Carrier Task Force was sailing to its new home port at Pembroke, England.

JoinAllies.jpg

Neutrality.jpg

On the East coast a Surface Action Group is heading into the Port of Washington, DC. To meet up with the Atlantic Transportation Fleet to escort it to the Netherlands. With the Netherlands in the Allies it is only a short time before Germany decides to take over this prime location. By backing up the Netherland Army we should have a foothold in Europe without a large Amphibious Landing That is why the president decide to send in one and a half armor corps. On the 26th the United Kingdom declared the effect "The United Nations." The Transportation Fleet left for Scapa Flow England. Where it will resupply before sailing for Rotterdam.

UnitedNations.jpg

On the 2nd of December we lost a destroyer to Japan while we the destroyer group was looking for subs. The men of the USS Sigourney will be remembered. On the 3rd, mexico decided to grant the USA trnasition rights. The US is glad for this encouraging jesture. The US embasies decided to see if they can get trasition right all the way to the Panama Canal so that transport would not be needed to get there. On the 4th the transport Fleet Arrived at Scapa Flow. After resupplying, the Fleet headed for Rotterdam. On the 5th in the Pacific, the USN sunk a destroyer of the Royal Japanesse Navy in reprisal for the USS Sigourney. On the 6th we decided to allow the United Kingdom to run up a war debt, The people of the country was a little bit upset because during WWI the US allowed several contries to aquire war debts and only one country paid the US back in full.

On the 6th of December the naval actions in the Pacific heated up where the US lost a destroyer and Japan a light cruiser. On the 13th of December, Japan started an amphibious assault on Guam. ASt the same time I see that the Phillipines has been invaded on its northern coast. A look else where reveals Hong Kong and Zhanjiang is in Japanesse hands. Japan also seems to be steadily heading for Rangoon area from Siam and down toward Singapore. On the 19th Guam fell and withPhillines slowly being taken it does not look that great for the USA right now. The war in the Phillipnes is slowly lossing ground to the overwelming Japanese. The 3rd USN Carrier Fleet headed to Midway while the first sailed to Wake Island. (I refuse to use any of the Pacific Battleship groups until April of 1942. As in real life they all needed repairs basically nd the earliest any of them was back in service was basically March of 1942. )

StartGuam.jpg

BattleGuam.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 17 - Into Germany (Jan-March 1942)

The radio with a little static you here in a distance, "The President of the United States of America." After a few seconds of applaudung and other noises, the voice of Franklin D. Roosevelt could be heard.

FDR.jpg

"IN FULFILLING my duty to report upon the State of the Union, I am proud to say to you that the spirit of the American people was never higher than it is today—the Union was never more closely knit together—this country was never more deeply determined to face the solemn tasks before it.

The response of the American people has been instantaneous, and it will be sustained until our security is assured.

Exactly one year ago today I said to this Congress: "When the dictators. . . are ready to make war upon us, they will not wait for an act of war on our part. . . . They—not we—will choose the time and the place and the method of their attack."

We now know their choice of the time: a peaceful Sunday morning— November 23, 1941.
We know their choice of the place: an American outpost in the Pacific.
We know their choice of the method: the method of Hitler himself.

Japan's scheme of conquest goes back half a century. It was not merely a policy of seeking living room: it was a plan which included the subjugation of all the peoples in the Far East and in the islands of the Pacific, and the domination of that ocean by Japanese military and naval control of the western coasts of North, Central, and South America.

The development of this ambitious conspiracy was marked by the war against China in 1894; the subsequent occupation of Korea; the war against Russia in 1904; the illegal fortification of the mandated Pacific islands following 1920; the seizure of Manchuria in 1931; and the invasion of China in 1937.

A similar policy of criminal conquest was adopted by Italy. The Fascists first revealed their imperial designs in Libya and Tripoli. In 1935 they seized Abyssinia. Their goal was the domination of all North Africa, Egypt, parts of France, and the entire Mediterranean world.

But the dreams of empire of the Japanese and Fascist leaders were modest in comparison with the gargantuan aspirations of Hitler and his Nazis. Even before they came to power in 1933, their plans for that conquest had been drawn. Those plans provided for ultimate domination, not of any one section of the world, but of the whole earth and all the oceans on it.

When Hitler organized his Berlin-Rome-Tokyo alliance, all these plans of conquest became a single plan. Under this, in addition to her own schemes of conquest, Japan's role was obviously to cut off our supply of weapons of war to Britain, and Russia and China- weapons which increasingly were speeding the day of Hitler's doom. The act of Japan at Pearl Harbor was intended to stun us—to terrify us to such an extent that we would divert our industrial and military strength to the Pacific area, or even to our own continental defense.

The plan has failed in its purpose. We have not been stunned. We have not been terrified or confused. This very reassembling of the Seventy-seventh Congress today is proof of that; for the mood of quiet, grim resolution which here prevails bodes ill for those who conspired and collaborated to murder world peace.

That mood is stronger than any mere desire for revenge. It expresses the will of the American people to make very certain that the world will never so suffer again..."

The address continues as the voice gets dimmer and dimmer until you can't hear it anymore.

(Note: This is the beginning of the actual address, only the date of Pearl Harbor has been changed.)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Most of the Asiatic Fleet was lost at Guam, almost 1100 hundred Dead and 10,000 captured. The air groups escaped to Wake Island. As for the Phillipines, the division of american soldiers was transfered to the Army of the Phillipines so that I don't need to mess with it.

On January 17th, Japan attacked Midway, they attempted to land a division of marines. Naval bombers, and Tactical Bombers attacked the Japanese fleet as interceptors tried to gain air superiority. In just 2 days the Japanese broke off the attack after losing 2 destroyers, and started heading south east toward Hawaii. The land based aircraft tried to follow. Both CTFs are heading toward the Japanese fleet hoping to catch them. After a few days both CTFs found the Fleet of the Japanese. After hounding this fleet for days it was slowly nibbled down to nothing. Japan lost 2 CVLs, 4 DDs and 4 TPs (and atleast 1 marine division) with no losses to the USN. The two CTFs were sent back to port for resupply and refueling.

By February 1st, The 1st Army was in the Netherlands and was orgainizing it consisted of 5 corps. Two Armored Corps consisting of two Arm divisions (2xArm, 2xMech, 1 SP Art), two Light Armored divisions (2xLArm, 2xAC, 1 SP Art) and 1 Motorized (4xMOTs). Two Infantry Corps consisting 5 divisions of Infantry (3xINF, 1xAA, 1xArt) each. The last corps has 2 divisions of calvary (2xCav, 2xTD, 1xSP Art) and a division of airborne (4xAirborne, 1x Marine Airborne). Two air groups of Tactial fighters and 1 Air Transportation Group has been added to this Army. This army is placed making a second line of defense for the Netherlands. Using my Strategic bombers and multirole fighter I started harrassing the northern coast of France, Hoping to cause problems for the Germans. I also decided to put the corp of light tank divisions from the west coast on transports and sent them to washington so that I can send them also to the Netherlands. I want fast units hopefully able to breakout of the Netherlands and encircle some of the German defenses, this giving time to Russia to gain strength. Since Russia has already lost Lennigrad, it is not doing as well as could be. But what is surprising is that Germany's line is almost straight south of lennigrad. This means Germany is still quite far from Moscow.

On February second, USA recieved the Doolittle Raid event. I decided to build this unit. I also sent the 2nd CTF to its new homebase at Den Helder. I hope to use the Cags to help with the offensive planned in Mar or April into Germany. On the 8th, I sent a newly created air group of Multipurpose Fighters and and one of Interceptors to the Netherlands for the use by the 1st Army. On the 14th the 3 transportions fleet sailed, the 1st Atlantic carrying the corps of light armor to the Netherlands, the 2nd Atlantic sailed to Iceland to get the theatre command and army group from Iceland. and the 1st Pacific sailed to Los Angeles. At the same time the 2nd Pacific was launched out of San Francisco.

Doolittle.jpg

On March 1st, the US decided to start their offensive against Germany. Two targets for this first attack were Meppen and Kieve. The normal armor and with infantry support attacked. The light armor and motor infantry was left in reserve to break through. both the multi-role fighters and the interceptors were sent on air superiority missions, while the tactical bombers tried to lay waste to the infantry. By the 15th I made three avenues of attack. The third is when I noticed Auchen and Bitburg abandoned as the armor started to blitz into German territory And the Ai shifting his forces north. The southern attack is only 2 infantry divisions but holding those 2 fortified territories of Germany might allow me to bring armor around to entrap some of the german units. I am also using the CAGs to try to damage a German Fleet in port. I also desided to paradrop my only unit into Hana, It was quickly csupplies by Armor closing the only pocket I managed to close.

March15th.jpg

Through out the month I was able to close a noose around just 3 divisions and capture them including a mountaineer division. After I took Bitburg and Auchen I preceeded to lose them, but these attacks on the US forces allowed for enough release of pressure to allow a bulge in Germany. Unfortunately I also recieved the news the the Phillipeans were annex by Japan. So my only possession in the Western Pacific is Wake Island. During my fight for German Territory, the Japanese was able to make strides against the Brittish including taking of Rangoon and Singapore.

Phillipines.jpg

April1st.jpg

Europe4-1-42.jpg

This is how Europe and North Africa looked on April 1st, 1942. As you can see Italy is barely hanging onto their last port in North Africa. See how German has take Lennigrad and their line is still straight south with the exception of Russia taking part of Romania. And you can see my bulge out of the Netherlands.

Asia4-1-42.jpg

This is Part of Asia. You can see how Japan is slowly taking the british areas.

I will be receiving 12 Infantry Divisions, 2 more marine brigades, 1 Marine LVT, one airgroup of multirole fighters, one airgroup of NAVs, and 4 packs of 3 subs each all in April. I could put more pressure on Germany, Now that its April I could do something in the Pacific like go help the British by transporting my marines and the infantry to India and stop or delay the Japanese. I could start Island hopping. There is so many possibilities and I am at this second at a loss to what to do next. My forces in German are weakened by organization and all...I need fresh troops there...so wish I had gotten more land, but its getting to a point where I am running out of units to hold the border. But the good thing is that the land I am holding has almost 30 factories, I am sure it is hurting Germany a bit. So wish the English would help.

Last edited:
Chapter 18 - Denying the Seas (Apr - Jul 1942)

At the end of last month it was obvious that my current strength in Germany was not enough to do much more than cause a small problem for Germany. Two problems I considered, first was that my lines were a bit overstretched and the second I meed to get my own supply route (port) if possible. So my plan is basically this, first take Bitburg and Auchen again to Anchor my bottom left corner to Belguim and Luxemburg, this will allow me to shorten my front a little. Then I need to smooth out my front so its easier to defend and allow me to use less forces defending the front to free up what I can so I can make a push north to the ports, then east toward Kiel.

This all sounded good to me, but I was still worried about having enough forces. So I decided a few things. First, I do not have the land forces for two fronts yet. So I decided Europe to be the first front to work on. Since I had a few extra National Guard units in Alaska, The marines on the east coast, these needed to be shipped to the west coast to goto Europe. I liked having 4 infantry divisions for Iceland and Greenland for defense, I decided these with the Marine units will be Idle to make a diversion. I decided to land the Marines first to take a port in Denmark Then add the other 4 infantry units to these and march down to meet up with my other units. At the same time all units produced in the next months will be poured into the lines to help Strengthen and extend my front. By taking Denmark from Germany and by taking Kiel, I will split any naval assets for Germany. They will either be based out of France or they will be stuck for use with in the Baltic Sea. Also this should affect the supplies going to Norway, which I am hoping will be easy pickings after this.

Now at the same time I have to defend the best I can the front I do have, because the AI will try to weaken areas of my front, especially places where there is more then two areas you can attack from. So hopefully I can get my front straightened and rest the units I can to allow me to put pressure on the places he attacks from on the weak spots on my front. Its kinda like a game of cat and mouse. So before I let any time go I give order to my transports, then I push all my leadership to Officer Production, I already had about half of my points going to officers since war started for me, but with large builds of land forces, officer ratio will drop quickly and then I will be hosed. The last thing was to push as much production into supplies, upgrades, reinforcements. I can scavenge from any providence upgrades I was doing and any ship builds for right now that will take awhile. This might hurt the Pacific later, but I need the best forces I can for the work in Germany.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One of the first things that happened in April was the production of another 12 Infantry divisions, a second Airborne unit and the rest of the marines to form the total of 4 marines divisions. When my other marines arrived in Washington, I reorganized them. Placing As much as I could on the ships I transported what I could to the Netherlands. At the same time I slowly reformed my front in Germany and did attacks to take Auchen and Bitburg back. Also I attacked some providences in the middle of my line when as far as I could see there was either just one infantry or a headquarters. These attack were only taken to "straighten" my front. Near the end of the month alot of my units arrived in the Netherlands. Leaving the marines, the 4 infantry from Greenland/Iceland and my 2 Airborne divisions for a totatl of 10 divisions which I will use to invaded the nothern tip of Denmark with.

Aachen.jpg

On May 1st, I changed my Civil Laws by enacting Limited Restrictions. Also by May 1st I had extended my lines down past Luxemburg and my line was straighting out. But the Germans were also pushing south from the ports cities making it hard for me to work on the northern ports. On May 8th, the United Kingdom and the Italians both made a decision. On the 9th I landed my troops into Denmark's northern tip. At the same time I pushed free units north leaving enough units to hold the lines, but giving me more units to attack the port cities of Bremerhaven and Emden and was pushing northward and eastward trying to close off the ports of the North Sea.

LimitedRestrictions.jpg

May1st.jpg

May8th.jpg

On the 18th I took a screenshot showing my forces in Denmark and you can see at that time I had already reached Heide. I had not taken Kiel yet butt I had taken Hamburg.

May18th.jpg

On the 20th I took my divisions I had in Fredrickshavn and invaded at Ebsjerg trying to encircle the units trying to keep my marines from reaching my units in germany which wer encircling the units in Kiel, the last port connecting to the North Sea. On June 1st, I landed the first divisions into Norway. Not fully understanding the supply system I did not release Denmark right away. I also was not sure if there was any penalty for releasing a country so I decided to release Denmark when I could release Norway. As for my German front I decide to just adjust units in the line and just defended and rested what troops I could. On the 3rd I paradroped my 1st Arborne Division at Storen hoping to try to take the port of Trondheim. Unfortunately this unit got mostly out of supply, but I after I took out the headquarters the was east and south of Oslo I sent a unit up the east coast of norway. Another marine division headed south along the coast. And my other 2 marine divisions head north west in an attempt to divide the german forces. On the 5th I landed my four divisions of infantry at Bodo, and preceded to tattack Narvik which was only defended by a HQ unit.

May26th.jpg

June4th.jpg

On the 8th of June I got a nasty surprise at Wake Island, the japoanese decided to invade. I tried to defend wake with my 1st Carrier Task Force, Tactical fighter and interceptors based there, just before Wake was taken over I sent the air units to Midway. They lost 1 transport and one light cruiser in the sea battle. But Wake just could not hold on and after the landing we won with sea battle but lost Wake. I sent the carrier task force to Midway to resupply. By the 15th I had all ports taken and I decided to release both Norway and Denmark, even though there was strong resistance from the Germans even with no supply route I could figure, even the two panzer divisions seem to have atleast enough gas to make it hard for me to actually surround and defeat them.

June11th.jpg

DenmarkNorway.jpg

On the 23th the Battle of Midway took place they attempted to land forces at midway, but this time we had two carrier task forces and 2 ASW fleets, 1 Naval bomber group, 1 Tactical bomber group, 1 interceptor group and one fighter group. We had one division of National guard defending the island. This time the outcome was different. My air superiority and Naval superiority finally made a difference and as our fleets and planes meet each other in the area around Midway, several battles took place. In the end Japan lost several transports, cruisers and 3 CVs. Actually this ended pretty historically. My fleets were slightly damaged and sailed to Hawaii for repairs. This is the time I am glad I am not playing multiplayer, going back and forth from Midway to the mopping up of Norway was really hard. By July 12th Norweay was free of Germans. The Geman Navy is either split or is based in France or eastern Germany. So Now I need to decide wat my next objective is.

June25th.jpg

BattleofMidway.jpg

(If I couldn't pause when I wanted to in this game I would be doing a heck of alot worse.)

Last edited:
Hi, nice AAR... just bought DI with my blue coins and this seems to be a very good starting point to know what to expect from DI...

One question: are you planning on upgrading those NG divisions (I still not sure on how bad they perform compared to regular INF)

Cheers, Mike.

Subscribed!!! Very intresting AAR.

When do you poste your next chapter Azedalis? I am looking forward to it

I need to finish the last chapter still Davy. I got caught up with CK2 for a little bit. I forgot how much I enjoyed Crusader Kings, and the new game is so much better. Will finish that chapter this weekend. I am still debating weither to try to break out toward Berlin, make a second front by maybe doing an invasion in the south like in italy or Greece...or I could try to help the UK by maybe an invasion near Siam to cut the supply lines to Japan before it takes all of India. Right now I don't see the UK doing much of anything. The soviets are holdong the line if not advancing a bit especially toward Romania. I will show the maps at the end this post of the last chapter.

As for the National Guard units. They are like better Garrison units, they do take a little more supply, but are decent to defend the Islands. I see little point in upgrading them right now, When I still have alot of manpower and great production speed. I do have 15 CA Marine divisions (2xMarines 3xLVTs) in production after just receiving 25 Infantry divisions which I placed in a new Army out of Los Angeles. I could place them on transports and place them in the port of Oosthaven which is owned by the friendly country of the Neitherlands.

I could send the 5 corps along the souther coast, icluding taking of Siam, retaking of Singapore and even taking French Indo China from the Japanese. I think taking Siam would do two things. Cut supplies to the army attacking India and taker out an ally of Japan, maybe even remove several divisions attacking India. Plus I could also use these ports to sink supplies tryong to support these units in india with my fairly upto date Submarines. Any other ideas, Island hoping is best left to the Marines I am making, the CA bonus of those divisions should help alot plus those units are only 2 wide so I could attack with an entire corps at a time. I could actually make 3 landings at a time if I want. Here is a few overview pics of the situation around the world.

Some of you might want to see rangers in action and all, and I just got that tech, so I will make some as soon as I can.New technologies right now are not often since I am putting alot of my leadership to supplying officers to my rapidly growing army. When I get a large group of units at one time my officer ratio takes big hits, so putting alot of leadership to officers is necessary.

WorldMapJuly1942.jpg

HoI3_3-5.jpg

AsiaJune1942.jpg

Last edited:
With me in the game is it 22 november 1941 but Pearl Harbour is not triggered. So no infamy speech and bye bye 1000MP. I have exactly the same setup in Pearl Harbour and I play DI:SS

The other times I played as USA I had the same problem.

Strange :confused:

Davy, The last patch "fixed" the problem of Pearl Harbor. What I did was to manually trigger it because it was broken. Normally I wouldn't do it but, in this case to show everyone the intended events I manually triggered it the day they declared war. I played it several times and Japan would consistantly declare war without Pearl Harbor several weeks early. I am not sure the loss of 2 battleships, the penalty to naval moral for months and such are worth the 1000 MP. The event number is 20350, so all I did was press "~" key then type in the box "event 20350" then return and the "~" again to close the box. This was the only "Cheat" I did and I believe it was justified since the event chain is broken. I meant to mention that is what I did and got caught up in the story and game.

Veritas, Thank you so much for reading and awarding me with the writAAR of the week. I slowed down playing the game because I was not sure if I had much of a following and CK2 caught my eye. But since I got the award it has got me inspired to continue it. Infact, I will play the next few months now to get a new chapter in today hopefully.