• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromos

AHOI-Mod Series Developer
17 Badges
Feb 10, 2005
ahoimod.wordpress.com
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
Hi folks!
With the new Expansion announced, I would like to gather the wishes of the community in this thread.
And keep any comment/idea/questions of the entries here in another thread here:
Comment thread for any entry made in the "Wishes for HOI3-Their Finest Hour-thread"

So this one would be clean and easier to access/view for the Devs. Better/easier for all of us.
Please make just one post here and change that one if your ideas changed etc..
Help us to have a clean as possible thread here. So your own ideas will be more visible too.
I think this system has proven to work well for AAR's aswell in the past.

Mabye we could have then later even a poll about the biggest forum wish..

The first post here will be updated with news from time to time.
If we stay polite and organized this will maybe even be stickied by the forum mods.

If you like to add some of you own thougts/ideas to an existing one just quote the idea and post your additions below.
Like f.e.:
############# Example Start ###############################################
User "Cool guy" is posting:

I would like to see not only the Land special units but also the special units from other military branches.
Like the I400 Submarines etc..

############# Example ###############################################
Now you:

Cool guy said:
I would like to see not only the Land special units but also the special units from other military branches.
Like the I400 Submarines etc..
I like to add that these should come with a nice event chain around them. That decribes the decsion to build them and the need etc.
############# Example End ###############################################

In that way it can clearly be seen as connected to an existing idea.

If you like to discuss ideas first, so post you ideas/thought first in the other thread before you post here. ;)
Thank you!

I'll start in the second post with some ideas I support and some of my own additions to that.

Cheers!
Chromos

Last edited:
I'll start, here it goes:
1.)
Optimize the interface for widescreen monitors. Pretty please with a cherry on top.
Woot. Good call.
I could/would help with that one.. :)

1.a)
My idea:
Also a redesign of some areas for gameplay reasons could be done.
F.e. delete the obsolete theatre tab from the productions menue.
Delete the Theatre forces button productions menue. This was, afaik, also only used in early HOI3 version without LUA-ai-production.
Let us build prov buildings only on the map(Advantage over ai now if we build rows of IC/AA etc. and place the at once on one prov..)

2.)
I always dreamed of having a operational planning mode like this for giving your AI commands orders, really disappointed that this only serves a function in MP.

2.a)My idea:
Maybe a good idea is to being able to set theatre and allied objecives in that map mode?
So it could be used as a operational planning tool already!
That would be relative easy to implement and also a sufficient/efficient sollution.

2.b)
Additional idea:
Adding a priority lvl to the goals woulbe be even better as the ai would know where to spend more effort on.
(That might need additional ai coding for the strat ai, but if that sort of priority is already implemented then it would be easier to add maybe.)

2.c)
If such a priority lvl is implemented, then an "offensive supply modus" could be added too. F.e. just have an different SUPPLYPOOL_DAYS value for units with priority lvl one(out of three f.e.). So these uits would just start to drag more supply with the current supply mechanism, and thus no change to the current supply code is needed.

3.)
Be able to set the stances of the Theatre and Fronts in the Theatre view tab.
And have the ability to change the stance via event/decsion/lua.
Also set allied objectives via event/decsion/lua..:)

4.)
The produced units will be put in a "units pool"(let's say: assigned to a "country reserve theatre") and get assigned to theatres by the Theatre demand/priority. Not only for the theatre in the capital area first.(If I use the build button in the theatre view tab, that units will be assigned to the specific theatre already, so there is no need to "reinvent the wheel" completely here, at least I hope so.)
Not needed units by theatres will stay in the pool and put on the map(capital or around). And even later on, not needed units will go back to that pool. Back home.. So it would be easier maybe for other theatres to get units if their demand rises and it wil be more calm in other areas again.

5.)
Having own chain of command for Naval/Air. Hey, it is about "Their finest hour" here not?

5.a)
At least a grouping functionality for all the planes and ships as also the garrisons in the OOB-Browser wich gets cluttered easily with much garrisons/planes/ships and such makes it much harder to use.
So it would be nice if directly below the commanding HQ would be another entry witch could be named "Air assets/naval units/Garrison troops" and would then open as another sub entry.

Cheers,
Chromos

I like to add my idea for the "Lend-Lease strategical ressource sharing feature":

Thank you for the quick answer and additional info!
I'll translate it asap in the german forum.

Let me add, that I and maybe others aswell, would like to see the produced stuff to be transported by sea, so we could intercept that convoys and have a real Battle of the Atlantik and the undeclared war feature could really shine.
I have already thought about how to achieve that with modding in the past. And have a rough workaround in my head already, But with access to the code you could do it much better. :)

The time needed to code a IC share function could also be used to add the existing code a bit and put the existing features together for that lend-lease system.

Short description:
We would need:
What is needed from the other country
-> lua cross check of their(target) build ratio or seven simpler in just setting check flags.

Production:
-> have this need "marked" with the target country.(similar to like now if I start a build request from the theatre tab).
-> add in own production queue the need of the other country.
-> have this produced units "marked" with the target country(similar to exp. units).
-> put this new produced units on the map
In the production lua could be a differnt(new) production command for producing these units. So they would be "marked" right at the unit setup in the lua code.. Using country tags would make it easier too.
So we could check the flag, if true then check the need and use the current prod-ai just with then new command.

Transfer:
-> the marked units now will be shipped by own transports(new ai logic here, like "Ups, marked units are rdy, I've to transport the asap to the target country"..) to a nearest save port of our target country.
-> After reaching that port(Successful rebase into a port with a land connection to the target countries capital) The units change ownership to the target country.
-> or we make sure that the target country gets enough own transports to do that work on their own. Reaching their own soil lets the units switch to the target country.

Manpower:
These "marked" units have no manpower need until they reach their target country.

All lua checks can be done already, and "storing" checks with country/global flags too.
I did that already with my Dynamic-AI, it works..
So the lend-lease giving country would just have another build-lua priotity changed by this flag checks.
So the speed of lua is no problem. We have also not to check every day for events etc..
Also not many new code needed as you can use the current one to an extend.

The gain would be a much more important sea warfare. That important as it was in reality.
I can only guess how big the kudos to you and the team will be if that make it into the add-on in such a way.

The "easier/more abstracted" version would have no way of interrupt such lend-lease shipment at all..

Hope that this idea will look appealing to you.

Cheers,
Chromos

Cheers,
Chromos

Last edited:
Being able to actually merge several division sized counters into one corps-, or army counter on map would help to sort out things in land warfare.

Regards

Only some wishes:

- a Fall Blau starting point (not a battle scenario but a full game scenario)
- a confrontation between NATO and WP in 1955 or so
- Germany commands all axis troops in Esatern Lybia in the 1941 scenarios

1) Have the AI try to keep units under it's command together. Units attached ot a corps should try to stick together and not find one division in Finland while the other is in Persia. This does apply for all command levels.

2) Make the deployment function more user friendly. If you add one division you have to skim through all sorts of command levels until you find where you want the new unit to be attached to. Either give us the ability to sort this menu (ie by command level, by numeric or alphabetic order...) or allow us to lock units so that we can not attach units to a command level even if it does have less than 5 units attached to it when it is locked. Consequently, it should not show up in the deployment menu when locked, regardless how many units are attached to this command level.
I assume this is the easiest thing to do, as it would require "only" a change to existing interface and not be something completely new. Would make playing a lot more comfortable I think.

3) Please reviese the naval part of the game. Submarine warfare, ASW, air recon, fleet dispositions etc. The way the game forces player to handle ships and fleets is very a-historic.

4) Allow construction of supply fleets for combat fleets. Ships got replenished while at sea historically, hence the Japanese were able to strike at Pearl Harbour in the first place and were considering air strikes at the Panama Canal.

5) Strategic effects like temporarily locking down Suez Canal, Panama Canal, Kaiser-Wilhelm-Canal?

6) Make static AA more useful, please. When it did raise artillery knowledge levels, it at least had a purpose, but currently it's being squashed aside by any kind of bomber and does not even fire on enemies when they fly over them...

7) Dedicated night fighter wings?

Last edited:
  • You have mentioned setting Allied objectives in Lua but I would second that.
  • I would aslo like a War Score (or at least the ability for different War Goals to have different surrender levels - this is primarily for acquire territory)
  • Railway lines.. i.e. built like infrastructure but that can transfer a lot of supplies with no supply tax, the supply tax on provinces without railway lines would be increased to balance this, making railway lines have a high strategic importance. (ok this is probably a pipe dream at this stage)

- Allow Germany to send DAK to North Africa without searching for gamey ways of doing that (like sending TPs to Italy before the war is started)
- Teach the AI to use old features that are currently player-only (production licences, upgrades, division reorganisation, technology sharing)
- Teach the AI to take terrain modifiers and infrastructure into account when determining which unit to use in a given area
- Implement a pop-up for amphibious invasions, even if the enemy is attacking an undefended province
- Implement a delay for evacuations of troops
- Change the way war goals function so that some of them could be used when a high enough war score is reached - it doesn't make sense that I have to conquer the entire country the same way I do when I want to annex it in order to e.g. aquire one region, no matter what; this change would allow the devs and the modders to represent more limited conflicts like SOV-JAP border war or the Winter War in a better way

2) Make the deployment function more user friendly. If you add one division you have to skim through all sorts of command levels until you find where you want the new unit to be attached to. Either give us the ability to sort this menu (ie by command level, by numeric or alphabetic order...) or allow us to lock units so that we can not attach units to a command level even if it does have less than 5 units attached to it when it is locked. Consequently, it should not show up in the deployment menu when locked, regardless how many units are attached to this command level.
I think that this is a great idea. Currently it's very painful to navigate in the deployment screen.

3) Please reviese the naval part of the game. Submarine warfare, ASW, air recon, fleet dispositions etc. The way the game forces player to handle ships and fleets is very a-historic.
+1. I think that the detection system needs the most work, it can be combined with the new intelligence system, so that naval warfare would feel more like real campaigns rather than semi-random occasional naval clashes.

Last edited:
I'll start, here it goes:

2.a)My idea:
Maybe a good idea is to being able to set theatre and allied objecives in that map mode?
So it could be used as a operational planning tool already!
That would be relative easy to implement and also a sufficient/efficient sollution.

2.b)
Additional idea:
Adding a priority lvl to the goals woulbe be even better as the ai would know where to spend more effort on.
(That might need additional ai coding for the strat ai, but if that sort of priority is already implemented then it would be easier to add maybe.

3.)
Be able to set the stances of the Theatre and Fronts in the Theatre view tab.
And have the ability to change the stance via event/decsion/lua.
Also set allied objectives via event/decsion/lua..:)

5.)
Having own chain of command for Naval/Air. Hey, it is about "Their finest hour" here not?

5.a)
At least a grouping functionality for all the planes and ships as also the garrisons in the OOB-Browser wich gets cluttered easily with much garrisons/planes/ships and such makes it much harder to use.
So it would be nice if directly below the commanding HQ would be another entry witch could be named "Air assets/naval units/Garrison troops" and would then open as another sub entry.

Cheers,
Chromos

THIS. The whole Corps thing is crazy, I hate seeing divisions in weird places.

Already stated in point 5. by Chromos, but it cannot be stressed enough. A separate chain of command for Air and Naval units!

Dear Paradox, change the "mod system" and "cache system" like a Victoria II and Crusader Kings II with GFX folder extending and userdir.txt

This is a fantastic recommendation.

As in another thread, I'm going to repost my 'Departments' concept, that everyone ignored at the time because they were flaming each other about elite units.

Essentially, in the Politics tab, you would invest a certain percentage of your nation's IC and Money into several departments - the Military/Industrial Complex (which is your Production tab, and the amount of IC invested there is the amount available, and Money boosts efficiency and production speed), Health Department (which keeps dissent down, and reduces attrition, and provides bonuses similar to 'combat medicine' and 'first aid' techs), Department of Agriculture (which would probably lower dissent and boost manpower income), Department of Education (which would lower dissent too, and boost available Leadership) and perhaps Department of Defense (for org regain rate and max org boosts).

Each of the four/five Departments would have a minimum percentage of the budget required to be allocated to them or else Dissent would be incurred. The minimum percentage of each allocation would change depending on Economic laws. You could use a slider function to change the allocation of resources between departments, meaning you could, if you lack manpower, reallocate your IC and money from Military/Industrial Complex to Education to get ahead in your research or to Agriculture to gain more manpower.

This also has the side affect of disposing of the unwanted and abstract 'Consumer Goods.'

5.)

I've been wanting this for ages. I want to be able to group my RAF Fighter Groups into Fighter Command etc. At the moment there's noway to use Dowding historically.

Also I would like to see Faction leaders have more control over Expeditionary Forces, being able to request units from other nations etc. You just have to look at historical British OOB to see that formations were made up of not only British divisions but of other Nations as well. Maybe have it so that when you are creating a Army Group/Army you can request other nations units to be attached to it. SO for instance if you're the British and you're creating a Army Group and you find that you don't have as many Infantry Divisions as you need, you could click a button which then shows you all available Infantry Divisions in each nation of your Faction, with a few filters so that you can cut it down a bit. Once you request a unit, the AI then decides to either give it to you or not, depending on whether or not they are being used or not. Hopefully that all made sense, I have a habit of not making sense when writing my ideas down straight from my head.

1 - Fix Sub vs Carrier combat. Subs can not attack carriers now due to the way naval combat sets up positioning. It is probably too much to ask that the entire naval system be revised, but can't we at least add code to give subs a better surprise positioning bonus chance vs fleets with carriers? As it is now, the Battle of the Atlantic is a joke once 3 DD's and CVL show up.

2 - Positionable supply dumps. Let us tell the AI target supply dump HERE. Enough said.

3 - Norway. Due to the current game mechanics, Germany invading Norway can ruin a game. Possible solutions:
a) stop invading Norway, no real reason to ingame except to mirror real life events, without the real life limitations on what England could do in response;
b) invade Norway only if they join Allies AND do it thru Sweden;
c) block Allied naval surface movement into the Skaggerak after Germany controls Denmark. In RL, the RN was unable/unwilling to send surface fleets here until very late in the war. It was a death trap due to the narrow confines and threats from U-boats/E-Boats/Luftwaffe. RN subs did patrol here very effectively, but Germany was able to supply Norway until the end of the war by traveling in Swedish territorial waters and hugging the coastline.

4 - Ethiopia after Italian puppeting. Can we all just agree that Italy should pull it's troops out of East Africa once the AI puppets Ethiopia? It is the first thing any experienced player does. It is one thing to try to mirror RL, it is another to reinforce stupidity. Maybe leave a token force, but those troops are dead men walking due to game mechanics once war starts.

5 - Puppet support. Please oh please let a controlling power build infrastructure/airfields/ports/fortifications in a puppet. Maybe even IC for a puppet. Classic example - Manchuria - Japan built Manchuria into the 4th largest industrial power in Asia. In the game Japan can not even build a dirt road there.

6 - Marco Polo event. Please rewrite it so that Japan has the choice to fire it on or after July 1st 1937, OR, anytime after a Chinese faction declares war on Shanxi. Anyone playing Nat China knows the exploit to conquer Shanxi before July 1 1937 to break the event and prevent Japan from declaring war. Totally unrealistic exploit, Japan's 2 biggest fears were China uniting under one flag, or Communism uniting China. Japan would not sit idle while China was being unified.

5 - Puppet support. Please oh please let a controlling power build infrastructure/airfields/ports/fortifications in a puppet. Maybe even IC for a puppet. Classic example - Manchuria - Japan built Manchuria into the 4th largest industrial power in Asia. In the game Japan can not even build a dirt road there.
I agree with this. Maybe also the option to advise the puppet what it should build itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.