• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rockslides and Rapids

Return to Riverrun

Bryton Badics
(January 327)​

It was hard to be in this room again. Even though it was going on twelve years since he was trapped in here it still felt uncomfortable. He couldn’t remember why he felt the need to come up to the tower after all these years. He did know he was ready to leave. “Thank you for letting me come up here Lord Tristan. I think we should be returning to the celebration though. Don’t you?”

Lord Tristan was the very image of his father. The man looked so much alike him he found it difficult not to call him Edmure. “Indeed Lord Badics. Lets return to your feast.” Making their way out of the room Bryton could not help but feel as if a great weight had been lifted from him. Even in battle when at any moment he could be killed, he did not feel this uncomfortable.

“So Lord Tristan what will you do with the man and women who rose up against you?”

“They will be forgiven. All except for their leader, Brynden Blackwood. For his assistance I have agreed to surrender the man to Lord Bracken.”

Stopping on the steps Bryton asked, “You are going to do what?”

This seemed to surprise Lord Tristan who said in a matter of fact tone, “I’m going to give Brynden Blackwood to Lord Bracken. It is the least I can do since the man had taken my side.”

“Lord Bracken did not even send troops to aid you. He simply declared for you to spite Lord Blackwood.” This was having no effect on the man so he instead said, “If you do something like this you will further revolts from your Lords. Especially Brynden’s son, Edmyn.”

“Come now Lord Badics. I have defeated them before. I can certainly do it again if they are foolish enough to rebel again.” Was the man mad or stupid? He won no battle. It was his men which brought down the rebelling River Lords. If this man did not watch himself he would lose his head before anybody came to save his life again.

Rockslides and Rapids

Trip through the Moon Door

Gwayne Badics
(May 328)​

Sitting in the chair of the Lord of the Eyrie he could not help feeling as if this is where he belonged. “Petyr Wydman,” he said to the man who had been brought before him. “You have brought up arms against the Vale in an attempt to steal away the Lady Barbara’s position.”

“I did…” was as far as he got before Jailor Samwell, son of Loras Egen, struck him in the stomach. The man was a rather useful jailor who understood his place. He was the son of a defeated Lord and so he married a woman fitting of his position and the mule girl had already given him two sons. Maybe one day those boys would replace his current servants.

“Do not interrupt me. You would have taken the Vale for yourself. If it had not been for the valiant Lord Andar you may very well have succeeded. What do you have to say for yourself?” When the man said nothing he looked to Samwell who struck Wydman again. “Come, come. What do you have to say for yourself?”

“I did not wish to remove the Lady Arryn from her position. I wanted to remove you.”

“Oh Tsk, Tsk. How hurtful. To believe you wished to do me harm. I have been nothing but good to you.” Standing from the chair he lifted out his hand to point at the accused. “Petyr Wydman I find you guilty of treason. Your punishment is to die by way of the Moon Door. Samwell take this man to his fate.” The man of course did not go easily. The entire time he kicked out trying to break Samwell’s grip. Though few men were stronger then Samwell Egen and Petyr Wydman certainly was not one of them. Watching this display was nearly as much fun as being the judge.

Just as the two reached the Moon Door one of the men in attendance spoke up and said, “I have an announcement to make to the court.”

Enraged by the interruption he barked out, “It will wait until punishment has been given out.”

“No it will not.” About to order this person to join Petyr, Gwayne fell silent when he saw who spoke. Standing beside the mule girl was his brother. What was he doing here? He was not invited to this trial. “I have received word that King Orys has found the true traitor in his court. It was in fact Tyrion Lannister who has been behind these recent strings of arrests and uprisings. As he is the King’s Uncle he was not killed, but the King did removed him of his position as Hand. Tyrion is now married to Lady Cerenna Sarsfield in the Westlands.”

259b6891-09a4-407d-91a4-7f82f95c7402_zpsd31ed85c.jpg

“What is the importance of this? Who cares about Tyrion Lannister?”

His brother smiled at him before saying, “Just that all who were falsely arrested have been released from the dungeon. Lady Barbara is on her way back to the Vale.” This statement brought silence to the entire hall. Everybody was looking at one another. Then they all looked up at him. She was returning? She was returning. He would certainly be killed for his part in her arrest. He need to get away from here.

First though the punishment. When he looked to the Moon Door he was surprised to see nobody near it. Not even Samwell was there. Where did they go? The back door was open then and he watched as his brother, the mule girl, and his jailor were all leaving the hall. He needed to run as well. She was supposed to die in the dungeon.

6a46b504-d64c-4f14-811c-6c2def0cd9f6_zpsd11b9eea.jpg

Last edited:
Rockslides and Rapids

What a Bastard deserves

Tyana Stone
(August 328)​

It was going on a year now but it still felt like only yesterday that she had attended the funeral. Within a matter of days three of Strongsong’s greatest knight had passed away.

Ser Gwayne was not the most noble of knights but he was the man who helped in the raising of her brothers. He was also the man who taught her own children. At least he did until the family moved to live with Terrance. After their move it was Ser Alesandar who took over for Ser Gwayne. The man was a quiet man who was greatly respected. He was loved by many knights and it was he who rushed out to do battle with Alexandyr Rivers after her husband was wounded.

cf8dba78-85d3-458e-8a75-45656f5434e8_zpsb3b1dd7b.jpg

It was this wound which brought the end of her own husband. He was such a good man who did so much for Strongsong. He fought side by side with Terrance for years. The two had become close and it really hurt Davos when Terrance was killed. He kept blaming himself no matter what anybody said to him.

842ba3d0-61e2-41ee-850f-32f778ae3dfb_zpsd9b28506.jpg

All three of these men were now dead. They were all replaced by different men though. The Septon Knight, Galladon, was now in command of the army. Ser Umfred was originally suppose to be the new Commander, but he disappeared shortly after the three had died. Ser Samwell Egen took over the training of the children and knights of Strongsong. Oddly enough the man held no animosity for what had happened between their own fathers. He was happy being a Master-at-Arms.

With Davos dead she had come to her brother about finding her a new husband. She loved the man, but she was so lonely without him. Today was the day when she would learn of his decision. When the door in front of her opened she entered the solace, keeping her eyes and neck lowered. With both Terrance and Davos gone she did not dare do anything to upset Bryton.

“I have though for some time about your requests Stone. One amuses me and the other enrages me. One I will grant and the other I will deny.” After Bryton paused she knew better then to ask a question or to lift her eyes. Instead she stood there until Bryton continued. “You dare have the audacity to request Darkmoor for your son. He does not deserve to be a Lord. He is a spawn of bastard blood. He is weak.”

These words hurt so much. Serwyn was a good boy and deserved a chance to become something. At the very least her brother could have made him a knight. Instead her son would have to make something of himself on his own. Unless she found a different way for him to gain power. “I have found you a husband though. A man worthy of a Stone.” As he said this the door opened and in walked a man no taller then her hip.

3ec0e5d5-b90e-4065-8e67-8338a410602f_zps4994bd03.jpg

Last edited:
Rockslides and Rapids

A Welcome

Bryton Badics
(December 328)​

Rolling onto his side he could not stop staring at the woman who slept next to him. She was so peaceful as she slept. Unable to help himself he gently traced his finger along her spine. Taking hold of the woman’s hip he rolled her over onto her back and kissed her. The kiss was passionate and when the two finally broke she smiled and took a moment to catch her breath. “It is good to be home.”

“We are all happy to have you back Lady Barbara.”

37647e20-834e-42f7-a5f2-e5ff20402caf_zps6793703e.jpg

“All?”

Giving a chuckle he said, “Well maybe not all. As I told you Andar Royce was far from loyal, but he is now dead. Guess the stress of your return killed him. Though I doubt his son Yohn will be any more loyal then the two previous Lord Royces. Walcher Donniger is no longer a threat to us either.”

She gave him another kiss after he said this. “Thank you again for that. Of all the Knights and Lords of the Vale it has always been the Lords of Moonsgrey who have done the most for me. When men try to take that which is mine you ride out and stop them.”

“We do what we can.”

“Now what of my husband?”

“I fear I do not know. I’m certain it was he who orchestrated the Donniger rebellion. While I was putting the rebellion down he used the distraction to disappear. My guess is he crossed the Narrow Sea.”

“Such a pity.” With one more peck on the lips the Lady Barbara stood up from the bed. “You are still taking Donniger down the mountain today yes? He is to be sent north to join the Wall.”

“I will do that immediately, Lady.” Standing up beside her, he gave her a smile and started to kiss along her neck. “But first. Again?”

Pushing him away she said, “When you return.”

“When I return then.” Dressing in the clothes he had worn the day before he was pleased to see that his prisoner was ready for him. The trip down will be a difficult journey. In truth every trip up and down was more dangerous now that Mya Stone was living in Strongsong and Winter was still going on.

Their trip down was going as well as it could. At least it was until they were halfway between Sky and Snow. Each time he looked over at his prisoner he could not stop thinking that this man was the reason he was stuck out here in the cold. Finally unable to help it any longer he gave a light push against the man’s shoulder. The nudge wasn’t much and it looked almost as if the man would not fall. Then suddenly he was gone and Bryton was returning back up the mountain to warm a bed.

e3b3a4c0-2a73-4795-b6fe-023940f7e05a_zpsb1bd49ef.jpg

Last edited:
Rockslides and Rapids

Fishes on the Wall

Edmure Tully
(May 330)​

“Men you are all now brothers of the Night’s Watch. Go to your respective brother and he will tell you to what duties you will be performing,” said the newest Lord Commander. Preston Westerling had been the Lord Commander only for these past three years. The black brothers were wondering how long he would last since there had been a total of four Lord Commanders between Loras Egen’s death five years ago and Preston taking the position.

As the four newest stewards all approached him he could not help but smile. Within this group was Hoster, his middle son. The boy had foolishly risen up against his older brother Tristan, but Tristan had been kind enough to send him north to the Wall. Now he would get to spend his final days with one of his sons. “Newest members of the stewards. You have all received duties that will fit well with your specific skills. Jon Stone, you and Oberyn of Sunspear will be going to serve at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. You will be taking over as the stewards there. Robert Storm, you will be assisting Maester Harbert in the archives. It is in need of a proper sorting.” That just left his own son. “Hoster you will assist me here in my own duties at Castle Black.” Now knowing their duties everybody went on their way to perform them. Hoster though stood there in his place with a defeated look in his eyes. “What is wrong son?”

60a3ed30-bb40-417b-afec-545f97c51273_zps1e804d3b.jpg

“What is wrong? I am now a member of the Night’s Watch. You were a King and I should have been a King. Instead we are stuck up here in this cold place with cut throats and thieves. These men are the worst men of the land. We are better then these men.”

“The brothers of the Night’s Watch are a noble order. In the days of old great nobles and knights served in this order. For a time it had turned into a place for the lowest men of the land, but not any longer. We serve side by side with great knights, Lords, and even Princes and Kings.” Hoster looked up at him with great doubt in his eyes. It was better then the defeated look he had before, but he would have to fix this too. Pointing towards a man instructing more of the new men he said, “You see that man? That is Doran Martell, he is our First Ranger. He is also the son of Bors Martell, Hand of the King.”

Motioning to the practice yard he pointed out a few men who were training. “There we have Lyonel Corbray, former Lord of Heart’s Home, training with Desmond Tully. He is the Blackfish’s son. Then there is Humfrey and Willas Tyrell. Humfrey is King Mace’s bastard while Willas is the son of King Willas Tyrell. His older brother is the current King of the Reach.”

From behind them he heard a cackle of laughter. As the two turned there standing before them were three elderly men of similar appearance. “Don’t forget us King of the Fishes.”

“These men are the Karstark brothers; Ramsay, Brandon, and Beren. The three of them were sent to the Wall with their father and grandfather back during the Karstark Revolt.”

“Indeed we were,” said one.

“Yes, yes,” said another.

The last simply smiled with his last three teeth.

“We men of the North are also up here with King Smalljon, Garth Bolton the Leech Lord’s son, and Jon Snow,” said the first again.

“Jon Snow is the bastard son of Ned Stark. After his father and brother’s death he was given Ice when he came to the Wall. We also have Harl Drumm, the wielder of Red Rain, on the wall as well. Two of the most well known Valyrian Swords in the world are here at the Wall.”

“Don’t forge the last two Kings, King Fish.”

He had not wanted to comment on them, but Brandon was right. “Then there is our Maester Harbert and his brother Maric.”

His son knew those names and his eyes bulged. “They were killed by their brother.”

“No my son. That was a ruse. King Orys did not kill either of his brothers. He simply said he did to try and deter any more rebellions. Now besides my own and Smalljon’s there has been no more.” Putting an arm on his son’s shoulder he said, “Now let me show you to your duties.”

250296c8-77fc-43aa-81b2-abf7760c5775_zpsc8d833da.jpg

a321d389-3ddb-4589-9a7f-703d66fb49f2_zps8a8d7b87.jpg

Last edited:
Rockslides and Rapids

Saving Tristan Again

Bryton Badics
(August 330)​

What did he tell him. Three years ago he had warned Tristan Tully that this would happen. The man refused to listen and now he was forced to keep the River Lords in check. Thankfully this time it was only Lord Edmyn Blackwood and Lord Piper who was moving against Tristan. They were not even trying to replace the Tully family. They just wanted revenge for the death of Brynden Blackwood.

Now instead of warming either his wife’s bed or the Lady Barbara’s he was stuck fighting a battle near the Crossroads Inn. He wasn’t really fighting this battle. They far outnumbered the enemy as so he gave command of the army to Septon Galladon. While the man fought, he sat there enjoying the small pleasures of the inn. It was far from a vast inn, but it did have a very comfortable chair in front of the fireplace. More importantly the daughters of the innkeeper were more then willing to ensure that all of his needs were filled. Once word came of his armies victory one or two of the girls could very well satisfy some of his other needs.

Taking another sip of his wine Bryton was startled when the door flew open. Into the room stepped Lyonel Egen, Ser Samwell’s eldest and squire. The boy came rushing over to him, but when it looked like he was about to say something he just stood there. The damn boy was staring at one of the daughters.

“What is it Lyonel?” he was finally forced to ask. Even then the boy just stared at the girl. Losing patience Bryton snapped the boy’s ear. That got his attention.

“I’m sorry Lord Badics. My father, Ser Samwell Egen, son of Loras Egen former Lord of Crown Crag and Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch.” As he said all of these title the boy was looking at the girl again. Once more he was forced to snap his ear. “He told me to tell you that he has captured the Lord’s Uncle, Robert Blackwood. Also they Blackwoods are fleeing. He believes they are finished.”

2c36a044-3c04-4c7a-bca1-10810e03bfba_zpsc0b36e84.jpg

That was likely so. Standing beside the girl the boy had been staring at he lifted up her arm towards Lyonel. When the boy started towards her though he grasped her hand and said, “Will you join me in my room to celebrate this victory?” And with that he left to enjoy this latest victory.

Last edited:
Rockslides and Rapids

To Port

Ellery Badics
(March 331)

c6f8162b-7fb3-4ea9-8f29-01cc080f4938_zps78bd6e74.jpg

The trip was taking longer then he had expected it to. It should have been a straight voyage from Sunspear to Gulltown. However, when a storm could be seen ahead of them they were forced to port in King’s Landing. He was not even off the pier when a few soldiers blocked his path. For men who were basically kidnapping him, they were very friendly. They took him to a waiting carriage which was rather comfortable and had a nice Golden Arbor. Along the trip he glimpsed outside the curtains a few times and each time all he saw were soldiers and a single man dressed in white.

After a time the carriage finally stopped. When the door was opened he was surprised to see that only the man in white remained. It was reasonable though. He was trained with a blade, but he doubted he could best and of the revered Kingsguard. This man took him through the Red Keep until at last he was in the throne room. At the time it held nobody but the two of them and the great Iron Throne itself. Forged of the swords of first the enemies of Aegon the Dragon and then added to by swords of other enemies. A true marvel.

While he stared at the great throne a golden haired woman stepped out from behind it. Though she was an older woman she was still quite beautiful. Even her voice rang musically. “Welcome to King’s Landing Ellery Badics, son of Ballabar Badics, Prince of Dorne and heir to Strongsong. I am…”

Before she could say anything he cut in. “Caleigh Badics, Queen of the Iron Throne to two Kings, sister of Bryton Badics, Lord of Strongsong, and my Aunt.”

c1439b6b-80d5-48ad-91c6-14c6b68c1db6_zps27993fd2.jpg

This interruption brought forth a smile from the woman. “Correct. Though you forgot Master of Whispers to the Throne. This man beside you is Ser Arstan.” As soon as he saw who summoned him he had figured out who this person was. “I hope you don’t mind me summoning you like this. I just needed to speak to you before you went to see my brother.”

57003193-ffbe-41a5-97eb-2f9d227c10c3_zps687aa735.jpg

“And what if we never ported? Would you have boarded our ship?”

“Oh Ellery dearest, you were forced to port by me.”

“The storm made us port, not you. Unless you are claiming to control the weather.”

“I control much, but that is not one of the things I control. I am however advised by Grand Maester Eustace. He was happy to inform me of when the next storm should be coming in. At that time I allowed Vale’s Honor to leave our port and pick you up.”

Though a woman it seems as though the King had a very skilled Master of Whispers. He was under the impression that nobody knew of his movements save for his grandfather, himself and the captain of the Vale’s Honor. Not even his own father knew he was leaving. “So what is it you needed to speak to me about?”

“Before I answer that I need to know if you know why you are being summoned to the Vale.”

This had been plaguing him for some time as well. He had his own thoughts, but for the time being he would simply tell her of what he was certain of. “I am the heir of Strongsong. Your brother wishes to ensure that I am a worthy heir.”

“That is all?” To this he nodded. “My sweet, sweet brother plans on marrying you to Lady Mela Arryn.”

d7578fb1-a4e7-4ed8-bf67-a9eb55319627_zpsdd7863e5.jpg

“He plans on marrying me to his brother’s daughter?”

“Indeed he does.” After saying this she sat down on the throne. “And you will agree to this union.”

“Wh…” before he even asked why he had figured it out. “My father is Prince of Dorne, my mother is the daughter of Edmure Tully, and the woman you wish to marry me to will one day be Lady of the Vale. A son of this union would have claim on all of them. Three of the realms will be loyal to the throne through him.”

“And this son would be a worthy match for my granddaughter.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that is Book 4. Since I couldn't post the pictures this was a lot easier to post. So far I have the first seven chapters of Book 5(which doesn't have a title yet) written. Those seven chapters covers a time frame of three years. This will catch the story up to where I last played.

Now for those of you who have been reading this AAR I have a couple of questions for you. Whoever gets either the most right or the first to get them all right will get to name the son mentioned in this final chapter.

1) Who fought in the most battles of all the characters in this series? (This can be a knight or lord but it is a person of Strongsong)

2) How will Bryton die?

3) Who is the Shadow that killed Lady Hilary?

4) Who is the heir of Dorne?

5) How does Caleigh know about Ellery's trip? (Who is her informant?)

X) The name you wish for the son.

I will not be telling you who was right, but in Chapter Eight of Book 5 you will get to see his name. I will not be able to post anything again until next week most likely. You have until Chapter Four to post a guess or edit your previous ones. Once that chapter is up then there will be no more chances to guess and whoever had the most right at that time will be the winner.

Last edited:

The last of the quarterly AARlander is out now. From this day forward we should be receiving monthly entries. WOOHOO!!!

For all of you who do not read the AARlander I suggest you do. For those of you who read it and don't care or read it and don't like it. Just ignore this. ^_^

Last two books were great mate, still up to the great standard. Even if I'm not posting, just to say that I'm still reading. I check this thread more than once a day usually.

Just out of curiousity, what do you work at? If you don't mind me asking

I am currently working in security for Samsung. It's a simple job where I spend between two and eight hours of a day staring at a wall. Now I spend it either writing this, doing school work, or I work on my books I'm writing.

Also do you have any answers for those questions?

I haven't the foggiest. I can only answer the first, and it's probably wrong. I'd say Ser Durran, since he lasted well into Bryton's late years and was with Paul since the start of his career.

I am currently working in security for Samsung. It's a simple job where I spend between two and eight hours of a day staring at a wall. Now I spend it either writing this, doing school work, or I work on my books I'm writing.

Ah I see. Sorry for being nosy, I was just curious (Although I realise that's not much of an excuse :p). Anyway, fair play for using your time productively. I'd probably just take staring at the wall for 8 hours

Also do you have any answers for those questions?

I was hoping you wouldn't ask. Don't know how I managed it but I looked at the questions and was stumped.

1. In the series? Can't say I'm sure of this answer, and it's probably no more than a pathetic guess but Ser Davos perhaps?

2. Slain by Gwayne I would guess, although I wonder if even Gwayne would go so far as kinslaying

3. Could be a terrible guess but.... Tyana? Just seems like the most logical outcome to me

4. Thought I would know this one but the more I thought about, the more confused I got. The fact that the Vale is subject to the Iron Throne while Dorne is not, makes it even more complicated. Not to mention Dornish succession laws. I don't think it's Ellery but I honestly can't think of who else it would be.

5. Bryton

6. Allegn

Now you know why I didn't want to answer. I'm slightly embarressed now :(

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the banner, EtzelHoveri :)

Now that I've dropped a comment here, expect some random warmongering from me from time to time. Reading 8 (full!) pages of updates would stretch my time too thin, yet I'll try to read an update from time to time. Your writing, as far as I could see, is great - so hopefully I'll enjoy.

Feel free to guess for all Erl. I realize the questions are a little difficult but with some serious browsing you can find the answers.

Welcome general. You will have time to catch up before the questions are invalid. No worries. I was only speed posting to get these books done before the competition was over.

Finally if more then one person gets the same number of questions right then I have a difficult question for the tiebreaker.

I went and added the photos to the last book. Photobucket still will not allow me to upload any more photos so it will be a while before the last book is complete. So far though the pictures I already had uploaded are added.

I'm pretty sure #1 is Davos.
The hallucinations Bryton had at the battle of White Creek Castle seems to suggest he's got some mental problems going on, and his actions after that certainly don't point in another direction. Outside of that, I can't really see any foreshadowing you could have done for us to guess how he dies. Gwayne seems a shoo-in for the most obvious motives, but the problem with that is that Bryton may well have already killed him. I'll go with Gwayne for #2, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out Bryton dies a paranoid lunatic.
Great, you're going to pull a Jordan on us with #3, aren't you?:mad: Tyana seems the only one with emotional motive, but you haven't really associated her with shadows. Tyrion is the only one you link to darkness and shadows in this story, and I can't think of any good reason for him to kill Hilary. I'll go with Tyana, because I think she is a little more calculating than she let's on.
You might have been trying to throw us off by not explicitly naming Ellery as the heir of Dorne, but since you never named any other sons of Ballabar Badics, Ellery Badics is the only answer for #4 that I can see.
#5 seems to be pretty obviously Bryton. I doubt he wouldn't stay in touch with his sister, and Ellery told us that Bryton knows. As for why? I imagine Bryton thinks Caleigh would be better at persuading Ellery to accept than he would be.

As for #6, Balthazar. I approve of alliteration.

Last edited:
And we have our second entry. Don't forget at any time you guys can still change your answers before chapter 4 of book 5.

I like the name you picked warlord. I also like the fact you gave in-depth reasons of why you picked each answer.

I like the name you picked warlord. I also like the fact you gave in-depth reasons of why you picked each answer.

Great stuff, well I suppose I should take advantage of that because my answer to number 5 was a mistake. I accidently answered number 3 twice, I have no idea why.

I was going to change my answer to Bryton for number 5 but now it might just look like I'm copying Warlord :p

Great stuff, well I suppose I should take advantage of that because my answer to number 5 was a mistake. I accidently answered number 3 twice, I have no idea why.

I was going to change my answer to Bryton for number 5 but now it might just look like I'm copying Warlord :p
Go ahead and change it. You could as easily claim I copied you since, justifications aside, I gave four answers identical to yours.