• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For the next AAR,try playing golden horde or something like it.Nothing beats succession crisis(I had territory till the HRE & delhi in 70 years,where i vasalazied to stop the expansion,most non-core) in terms of annoyance.Playing a nomad nation(without westernization) is the next thing you need to show to be in the realm of possibility.Any one likes a All nomad world?
I am not a glutton for punishment, so count me out for that. My next EU3 will indeed probably be with a non-western nation with no Westernization and some other houserules. However, my next AAR will not be an EU3 AAR.

Yes, I think 'epic' is appropriate :p
:)

Wow, amazing and very smart of you to realize that max WE means giant doomstacks :) I'm sure I'd have never considered it. Now it's time to steamroll Europe!
Not that smart, actually, it took quite some time before I realized this. I was too stuck on the traditional EU3 wisdom that attrition = bad and you shouldn't make doomstacks. This is, however, not a traditional situation we find ourselves in and conventional wisdom is thrown out the window. Once attrition is no longer a factor, there's nothing to stop doomstacks to be the ultimate weapon on the battlefield.

As this episode shows :)

I love it! How are you feeling about Japan's chances now?

A great update.

Thanks, Omen. I think the tide has really turned for Japan. At the end of the first part of the Final Battle, I really despaired that I could win this, but right now I'm much more positive.

What are your criteria for "victory?" That battle was very impressive, the first really positive sign that you'll do all right in this one.

Keep it up!
I think his criteria for victory is 100% warscore(occupy all enemy provinces)

I guess that with all these doomstacks all the level 4-5 forts take like a few days to fall?

I hope the Europeans can develop some counter tactic to the doomstacks, or else this will turn into what I had feared from the begining :(

If you do too well, will there be some new rule against the doomstacks? I was really hoping for some desperate fighting around India :p

What are your criteria for "victory?" That battle was very impressive, the first really positive sign that you'll do all right in this one.

Keep it up!
See the summary of the introduction: the attacker wins if every province of the defender and its vassals/PUs are controlled.

I was indeed very happy with the battle of Khurasan after so many defeats :)

I think his criteria for victory is 100% warscore(occupy all enemy provinces)
Well, technically I don't have to control enemy provinces of nations that just jumped into the Final Battle (such as Luxembourg) that aren't a vassal or PU of Germany, but it's a minor detail.

I guess that with all these doomstacks all the level 4-5 forts take like a few days to fall?

I hope the Europeans can develop some counter tactic to the doomstacks, or else this will turn into what I had feared from the begining :(

If you do too well, will there be some new rule against the doomstacks? I was really hoping for some desperate fighting around India :p

I haven't encountered lvl 5 fortresses yet, but level 3 and lower fall in mere days. Level 4 are a bit tougher, taking a week or so.

I won't introduce any new rules anymore. The rules were meant to create a level play ground for the Final Battle to take place in, not to set me back whenever I do well.

I am not sure whether it is the highest overall, but I don't think I saw that much WE from a single war.

wo8ki.png

I've had lots of fun reading this AAR. Sadly, the images can't be seen.. you seem to have a problem with the host. What if you use imageshack instead? I really want to see a world map, and it's not fun to imagine the final war

I am not sure whether it is the highest overall, but I don't think I saw that much WE from a single war.

wo8ki.png

I didn't notice that! Looks like a bug.

I've had lots of fun reading this AAR. Sadly, the images can't be seen.. you seem to have a problem with the host. What if you use imageshack instead? I really want to see a world map, and it's not fun to imagine the final war
Sorrie, my pro account for photobucket expired, I have to renew it. Apparantly the traffic for my AAR pictures is more than 10 GB per month.

I didn't notice that! Looks like a bug.
It looks like Finland is leading the enemy force.
Considering they'd only have a tiny part of the soldiers involved and lost 100,000 soldiers, it sounds...well, like something the game would do.
I.e. only adding the WE on the leading force of the battle (which then skyrocketed since Finland "lost" 5-10 times their whole forces in that battle).

Last edited:
1399-01welcome.png

The Final Battle, part 4: Poland

Jim: Welcome back. We last left the Japanese at the brink of taking the fight to the homes of the United Kingdoms in the year 1777.

Bob: I'm curious how High Command will direct the invasion of enemy territory. So far, almost all the fighting took place on Japanese soil. Will this make a difference?

Jim: Well, the Japanese people apparently think so, as there is another incident in which they express their, well, annoyance with the war.

1777-02weepingsong.png

Bob: Well, those two war exhaustion points lost will surely be regained in, oh, two months. Still, a boon is a boon.

Jim; Anyway, more fighting! The 300+ Japanese regiments pour into Poland and Asian Byzantium. The forces are split in two, with half going through the Crimea and half invading eastern Poland.

Bob: Interesting...

Jim: In April and May, the Crimean prong of the army encounters 40+ German regiments. In the battle for Crimea, the Japanese thoroughly mangle the Germans and destroy them all in Cherson. A good start for the invasion, won't you agree?

Bob: Certainly, Jim. And it looks like the Japanese really have a plan. In June the Crimean prong reaches Podolia, where 100 regiments are stationed. In Cherson, 30 regiments are placed as well. As you can see at the satellite image, this means that European reinforcements from the west are cut off from most of Poland.

1777-06two-prongedattackonpoland.png

Jim: Well spotted, Bob. While it's still possible for Germany, France or Spain to get to east Poland through the corridor north of the Ukraine kingdom, this defensive strategy will probably stop most reinforcements. The eastern prong, 175 regiments strong, can now focus on mopping up Poland.

Bob: Ahh, not this again. One of those imposter “travelling monks” swindles 4500 ducats out of the Emperor's coffers. An offer he can't refuse, as the loss of stability the monk threatens him with is an even worse option.

Jim: I get even more bad news. In August, the Spanish fleet wipes out the Japanese transport fleet of 50 transports! Luckily, no armies were aboard.

Bob: Still, a major setback, as Japan now has no transport capability anymore. A string of transports are ordered in the shipyards, but due with the extreme war exhaustion, building a transport ship costs more than two years!

Jim: We need some good news. Luckily, the land wars goes well. In December, in the battle of Ruthenia, 60.000 Germans were killed. Although the Germans had a slight advantage in terrain, their weak leader, scored by our military advisers as a fire 1 shock general, was no match for the Japanese 6/6 leader.

1777-12battleofRuthenia.png

Bob: Very good! I see that 1778 1778 sees some intense fighting near the Hungarian-Polish border and the southern German-Polish border. The conquest of northwest poland and Prussia by the eastern prong also continues.

Jim: Another successful battle with Germany: near Warsaw, more 30 German regiments are wiped out. Just for the end of the year, Warsaw is conquered, the first of the United Kingdoms' capitals to fall!

Bob: Looks like Poland is effectively knocked out of the fight. That will make things easier.

Jim: Another thing that will make things easier is the destruction of more than 30 Spanish transports that were about to ship 30 Spanish regiments from Japanese Malasya. Besides the joy of revenge, this means that 30 enemy regiments are stuck in some backwater territory where they can't do any harm.

Bob: Germany really is going from strength to strength. I see that in yet another battle with the Germans near the Polish-German border, again more than 30 German regiments are destroyed. The Germans really take the brunt of the invasion so far, besides the Poles of course.

Jim: However great the casualties inflicted on the enemies are, the Japanese also suffer losses. It's thus no wonder that in September 1779, a 6 star quartermaster is hired, as 150.000 soldiers are needed for reinforcement and only about 30.000 per month arrive.

Bob: Hold on, I get some disturbing news...twenty German regiments have invaded Japanese India! And they wipe out 20 Japanese regiments!

Jim: Quite a setback, as an infantry regiments takes 200 days to recruit, cavalry takes 320 days and artillery more than 400 days in a conscription centre! So replacing these losses will take about a year.

Bob: The Japanese take horrible revenge, however. About 50 German regiments that tried to retake West Poland are wiped out! That means that the battle for Poland is over, as Germany and the other eastern kingdoms of the German Alliance are now severely depleted, unable to mount an effective counterattack to retake Poland.

Jim: As the episode comes to an end, let's take a look at the status of the war. In the last four years, Poland has been invaded and completely conquered, with the minors Prussia, Hungary and Byzantium knocked out of the fight as well.

1781-01easteurope.png

Bob: Nicely done. Poland had a large army at the start of the Final Battle, one that will no longer bother Germany.

Jim: Indeed, Bob. Do you have statistics on the armies of the conflict?

Bob: Certainly, Jim. I'll put them on the screen for our viewers.

1781-01armies.png

Bob: At the moment, the United Kingdoms of Europe have now only 410 regiments left against Japan's 700 regiments. After 10 years of intense fighting, Japan now has a significant numeric superiority!

Jim: Wow, the invasion of Poland has really put a dent into the European military force. How many casualties have both sides suffered?

Bob: Well, according to our statisticians, Japanese losses for the whole Final Battle are about 640.000, with 290.000 lost in the last four years.

Jim: Painful, yet Japan can easily suffer such losses, as Japan gains about half a million in manpower per year.

Bob: This ain't nothing yet, Jim. The UKoE losses for the Final Battle so far number 2.690.000, with 1.390.000 of those suffered during the last four years.

Jim: Wow! This means that for each Japanese soldier lost, the Europeans lose more than four! At this rate, a Japanese victory is surely inevitable. Still, dear viewers, tune in next time for Double Domination!

Loving the format, I hope it catches on and Double Domination can become a sub-genre of its own.

Awesome update! Does your reinforce rate suffer as you get further away from the home islands? If so I can see your doomstacks getting whittled down inch by inch... happened to me in Persia in one of my own games.

Finally, the Japanese have the advantage. I can't wait to see Europe striped in red. ;)

Every time you call the German Alliance the United Kingdoms, I keep thinking that you're talking about Britain. :p

It looks like Finland is leading the enemy force.
Considering they'd only have a tiny part of the soldiers involved and lost 100,000 soldiers, it sounds...well, like something the game would do.
I.e. only adding the WE on the leading force of the battle (which then skyrocketed since Finland "lost" 5-10 times their whole forces in that battle).

Yeah, I thought so too. Still, a bit strange to give Finland war exhaustion for French losses :S

So, now you can set difficult to Very Hard! :)
Nah, wouldn't change that much. No major nation has lost a significant part of its manpower and the bonus to WE would probably matter very little.

Well, you have managed to defeat the Gerans at land, save some very bad mistakes! However, the sea awaits.
Wait and see...

Loving the format, I hope it catches on and Double Domination can become a sub-genre of its own.
I can recommend playing two countries if you are a bit burned out on EU3. It's quite a different way of playing. You'll have to accept a loss of control, however.

Awesome update! Does your reinforce rate suffer as you get further away from the home islands? If so I can see your doomstacks getting whittled down inch by inch... happened to me in Persia in one of my own games.
Nope. Reinforcement rate depends on whether your own a province, control it or if your army neigbours an owned or controlled province. Distance doesn't matter. I'll have to wait and let armies reinforce a bit sometimes, but by and large I have little problems with reinfocring armies, especially as my 6 star Quartemaster gives +30% to reinforcement rate.

Finally, the Japanese have the advantage. I can't wait to see Europe striped in red. ;)

Every time you call the German Alliance the United Kingdoms, I keep thinking that you're talking about Britain. :p
Heheh, that's partly the intention :) But still, wouldn't you call such a union the United Kingdoms?

1399-01welcome.png

The Final Battle, part 5: fall of the two kingdoms

Jim: Let´s get ready to rumble! The Imperial armies are at Germany´s door, ready to kick it in and make a mess!

Bob: While Japan's whole army is now larger than the European's, Japan 'only' has about 400 regiments in Europe, which are still outnumbered by their enemies. Especially since more and more regiments much remain behind to hunt rebels.

Jim: The first move the Japanese make is to infiltrate Germany's administration, which costs five spies. But now all troop movements in Germany are now spotted by the Japanese!

Bob: Looks like the German troops are very spread out, with countless single regiments all over the place.

Jim: Except near the Polish border, where 50 German regiments, half their army, is located next to 130 Japanese regiments! The Japanese waste no time and attack.

Bob: And after a battle or two, in March 1781, those 50 regiments are destroyed in Wien! This means that the Japanese can rush forward, as French reinforcement are only slowly trickling in.

Jim: In July, München, the capital of Europe, falls into Japanese hands!

1781-07munchentaken.png

Bob: Hurrah! The king of Europe is now on the run! And no German contestants to save his hide!

Jim: Which is too bad for him, as in August, 30 more German regiments are destroyed in Niederbayern after trying to regain München.

Bob: After that, conquest goes on at a slower pace, mainly through sieging as the troops need to gain reinforcements. A major counterattack of the French in the north destroys 10 Japanese regiments. However, many French regiments in German lands are destroyed likewise.

Jim: While the French form a small threat, the rebels throughout the empire remain a major nuisance, with at least 5 rebel armies jumping out the woodwork every month.

Bob: Nevertheless, in a couple of months and many small battles, by February 1782, the European military might on land has been broken. France and Germany together now have less than 70.000 troops, with Spain only have 125.000.

Jim: Ouch! With half of Germany now conquered, it becomes more and more difficult for the Europeans to put up resistance.

1782-02GermansandFrenchbroken.png

Bob: Funny enough, 30 French and German regiments are in India, when they could be protecting their homelands.

1782-02indianinvasion.png

Bob: In September they are all destroyed, proving to be only a bit more of a nuisance than the rebels.

Jim: Not only numerically, but also in quality the Imperial Army begins to dominate. In November, Land tech 52 is reached, so Japan can now build Latin Cuirassiers. Germany has Land tech level 54, but is all but knocked out of the land war. France and Spain, the only 'serious' combatants, have resp. level 38 and 44.

Bob: The siege of Germany continues, with only a few battles, mostly against single French or German regiments.

Jim: In November 1783, Land tech 53 is reached. Flying batteries are adopted. Another nail.

1783-11landtech53.png

Bob: And it looks like people everywhere sense the imminent defeat of Germany. In December, Scotland declares independence from Germany. There are many rebels in the British isles and not a single German regiment there!

Jim: So probably the British Isles will be independent before Japanese troops can arrive there. Anyway, on the continent the war rages on. In 1784, Germany is all but conquered and the French border is crossed.

Bob: While Germany has a lot of level 3 and 4 fortresses, France has mostly level 1 and 2 fortresses which are quickly overtaken.

Jim: More than a 100 Japanese regiments rush towards the French-Spanish border to cut off Spanish reinforcements. The rest continues sieging German provinces and assaulting French fortresses.

Bob: Look here, Jim. A rare large battle, in September. In Armagnac, the Japanese 65 regiments destroy 40 French and Spanish regiments!

1784-09battleofarmagnac.png

Jim: This could be one of the last great battles of the war, as few enemy troops remain. In January 1785, Paris falls, the third major European capital is now in Japanese hands. Well, I see we have little time left, Bob, can you give an overview of the war so far?

Bob: Of course, Jim. First, a look at the army sizes:

1785-01armies.png

Jim: ...I don't see Germany or France...

Bob: That's because they each have only a dozen or so regiments left. The largest European's army not on the lists is Prussia's, with 19 regiments.

Jim: So the land war is over, basically?

Bob: Indeed. However, on sea the Europeans are still stronger, even if only just.

1785-01navies.png

Bob: Remember, the Europeans still have a technological advantage here, as all Japanese research investments have gone into Land tech.

Jim: Mmmm, so the Japanese still have some battles left for them.

Bob: Some other interesting stats are the nations' incomes:

1785-01nationalstats.png

Jim: Wow! Germany's and France's economies have been reduced to ashes! I also see that Novgorod has dropped from the first page, probably due to the massive rebellions that happen there the last decade.

Bob: And to finish, the casualties of both sides: Japan has lost a total of 754.000, of which 114.000 were lost in last four years. The United Kingdoms have suffered a staggering 3.300.000 casualties, of which 610.000 were inflicted during the last four years.

Jim: So the Europeans have lost 5 soldiers to each Japanese during the conquest of Germany and France. Well done, I must say. And I must also say “goodbye” to our loyal viewers! See you next time.

1785-01europe.png