• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
BUMP Yes I also have this problem I have tried all sorts of things adjusting AA, FXAA, AnisFiltering, AmbientOcclusion, and VSYNC. I also made my montor and my graphics card are running at the same Hz and resolution. I even tried windowed mode. My game runs smooth as hell but the graining is incredibly distracting. If anyone at Colossal Order or Paradox want to chime in please do! If it is an effect I have no way of seeing how to disable it but I would atleast like to know if it is an effect so my OCD isn't ticked.

Made a forum account to let the devs know that I am also experiencing this issue. I'm really enjoying the game so far, it's amazing to see the city building genre brought back from the brink of death. However, the prominent grainy/noisy textures that I see (especially when zoomed in on dark areas) really distracts from the experience. It's not something I've seen in pre-release screen shots or videos and it's really hard to ignore. Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but it would be great to have a way to turn it off.

Yep, it's some kind of graphics noise, looks like static kind of and for some who have it worse than others it's causing nausea and making the game unplayable for them.
I don't think this is working is intended.

Yeah this cr*p! I want to play with dark theme but all these dots... How to disable them?

I've noticed it as well even with the tilt-shift set to low, but I've learned to ignore it. I thought it was a result of the game running with every other graphic setting turned up and perhaps it was my GTX 780M (4 GBs VRAM) hitting a bottleneck because it is a notebook card. Judging from the comments, I guess it's not my machine... :sad:

Screenshots?

I'm thinking it is the lighting from the northern city theme that has everyone confused as all the you tubers were using the southern tropical themes that are far brighter

A screenshot doesn't show it, as it's noise that changes every frame.
It's extremely hard to video too, as any form of lossy compression destroys the artifacting.

Here we go, 256 colors but you can see this crap:

6vEqvkX.gif

A screenshot doesn't show it, as it's noise that changes every frame.
It's extremely hard to video too, as any form of lossy compression destroys the artifacting.

This is my experience as well. The grainy texture changes rapidly in a manner very similar to static on a TV. It's very hard to get it to noticibly show up in a still shot, but for example, here you can see it in the shadowed areas of the green building. This is on the topical filter.

l3UpyRF.png

edit:

full res: http://i.imgur.com/l3UpyRF.png

It annoys me too, just like the 'interesting' AA and texture filtering used. I don't want to criticize this game much, but I do find these issues very annoying.

Constructive criticism is good even if it is of something you enjoy, and seeing that so many people are suffering from this I think we can definitely call it constructive to point it out.

I have spent the last hour trying to fix this in as many ways as possible. There is no settings file usually in paradox games that I can find in the directory as far as I know.
PocketCitiy's gif is the only image right now on the internet actually showing what is happening thank you for that. A manual override of settings via NVIDA control panel brings nothing. An acknowledgement from Paradox or CO would be great as this seems to be one of the more prevalent issues affecting the game right now for most people. I'm wondering if the game is running on a different display frequency automatically than GPU and Display settings I'm currently using 60Hz on a DVI connection if any of my ramblings matter at all.

Attachments

• 6vEqvkX.gif
    6vEqvkX.gif
    709,5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I have spent the last hour trying to fix this in as many ways as possible. There is no settings file usually in paradox games that I can find in the directory as far as I know.
PocketCitiy's gif is the only image right now on the internet actually showing what is happening thank you for that. A manual override of settings via NVIDA control panel brings nothing. An acknowledgement from Paradox or CO would be great as this seems to be one of the more prevalent issues affecting the game right now for most people. I'm wondering if the game is running on a different display frequency automatically than GPU and Display settings I'm currently using 60Hz on a DVI connection if any of my ramblings matter at all.

Yep. that's what it looks like to me as well. I don't see what it would have to do with refresh rate at all, but the game is running at 60fps and my monitor is displaying the video mode at 60fps so I'm real confident that isn't the problem. It really does look like a film grain effect that I'd like to turn off.

Also, it happens regardless of filter or map played on.

Thank you damsku. I will try this out as well. I don't find it as annoying, but it is noticeable when zooming in. I have all my video settings maxed out, and everything is pretty much smooth, but the black or dark textures look like they have grain effects added to them. Perhaps it's a design choice, but I'm just glad it's not an issue with my video card.