Release FAQ | All release questions go here

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TotalyMoo

Manager of Things
94 Badges
Jun 5, 2012
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Greetings Chirpies!

Here's a list of frequently asked release questions! Please add to this thread if you feel something is missing!

When will it go live on March 10th?
Expect release late afternoon/evening European time, around or after 19:00 CET. This is unfortunately out of our hands and relies on Steam.

Can you pre-load the game on Steam?
Nope, but the download is only (roughly) 3gb!

I have bought the game via not-steam when will I get my key?
You have to contact your retailer for details.

I have bought the game via your webshop (Paradoxplaza.com) when will I get my key?
We'll start to send out keys this evening and keep going through the day tomorrow.

What if I have a physical copy?
Same deal, the game won't activate until launch.

I need help!
If you're experiencing technical issues, please first refer to our tech support forum to see if someone reported something similar.
If you're having an issue with your purchase (such as not reciveing keys) please contact your retailers support.
If you find an issue that has not been reported nor declared as a known issue, please issue an as detailed as possible bug report in that subforum. (Bug reports that do not include information on how to replicate bug will most likely be removed/archived)

Where do I find my DDE content?
In the Skylines install folder, generally located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities Skylines

How do I claim my Zen Garden from the signup?
Enter the Steam key in your Zen Garden email as you would with a normal steam game.

Where do I find my Zen Garden in-game?
When they key is activated the garden will show up in your game in the parks-menu.

Where do i find my pre-order content?
It will be in-game, you do not need to claim any additional keys.

Are tunnels going to be added after release?
Yes, some time after launch we are going to add tunnels to the game.

What are the known issues and bugs - how do I fix them? (Living list, will update as we progress)

PLEASE FIRST CHECK THIS THREAD FOR KNOWN ISSUES/SOLUTIONS.

• If you have no shadows no matter what graphic options you set, launch the game with "-force-d3d9" parameter and it might solve the issue (thanks to Vantezzle for reporting this)
  • Mac user and your menu screen is just a bunch of flat textures? Disable steam overlay to fix!
  • Play/Load Game is greyed out? Check this thread for info. Additional potential fix here.
  • Game crashes on load or shortly after you stop playing? Make sure your GPU reaches minimum specs!
  • Low performance on gaming laptops? Ensure you're using the right GPU, see this thread for how to.
  • Black screen on startup? See this thread for proposed solutions, more solutions posted here.
  • Some users on OSX Yosemite experience a strange dark screen, reasons are hitherto unknown - we are aware of this issue.
  • 16:9, 16:10, 21:9 and 4:3 ratios are supported. This can result in black borders when playing with a TV. To use a custom resolution, launch the game from the command line. Some UI clipping can occur if the game is played with a non-supported resolution.
  • Trophy icon on saved games means they have achievements enabled. Saves that use or have used mods do not have achievements enabled.
  • Space Elevator is highlighted in the Public Transport Info View, but it's missing a line in the legend to tell of how many people use it.
  • Splash screens cannot be skipped with a mouse click.
  • On Windows the default fullscreen mode is borderless window which means that some third-party features such as G-Sync don't activate. You can start the game in exclusive fullscreen mode if you force it to use DirectX9 instead of DirectX11 by adding -force-d3d9 as a launch parameter. However, there seems to be problems with 4K resolution when using DirectX9.
  • All texts do not update "on the fly" when language is changed from the options. The game requires restart to update the texts.
  • Ships can cross dams and go through low bridges.
  • Planes can fly through tall buildings.
  • VERY steep cliffs in the map editor can make textures break open.
  • On OSX, some hardware have trouble with the Steam overlay in game. If the textures disappear when the overlay shows up, just disable the Steam overlay from the game properties in the Steam client until we work out a patch.
  • Asset Editor: some assets such as public transport can be imported and customized, however, they will currently not be functional if placed in the game.
  • Asset Editor: It is not possible to assign thumbnails for intersections and parks at the moment.
  • There is no easy way to Update an existing item you have previously uploaded on the Steam Workshop at the time being.

Cheers,
The CSL Team

Last edited:
Reactions:
It doesn't work like that. If you increase one number, the other one has to increase accordingly. Also, 21 is not a multiplicative of 4.

Sorry, I meant that it means 21:9 and we wrote wrong. It was 4:3 and 21:9 combined and confused ;)

Updated now!

I have a question about the physical copy of the game. Where is the best place to buy it, and can it be updated later on my computer when updates are available (without having to download the entire game)? I have only a limited bandwidth connection, so I don't want to risk using up a lot of data in case the download gets interrupted and has to restart and use up all of my monthly data. Thanks.

Seems a bit odd that it'll be released so late in the day. I found the wording a bit confusing, so I'm a UK resident who's pre-ordered on Steam. I'll have to wait until 6pm GMT+0 (7pm CET) in order to start downloading the game?

Seems a bit odd that it'll be released so late in the day. I found the wording a bit confusing, so I'm a UK resident who's pre-ordered on Steam. I'll have to wait until 6pm GMT+0 (7pm CET) in order to start downloading the game?

Yes. This is outside our control and relies on Steam (west coast USA) to get to their office in the morning.

You said person who pre-order via the paradox store will get their key from this evening, to tomorrow. Can we start downloading the game as soon as we receive the key?

No, it will simply appear in your steam library.

Added

Are tunnels going to be added after release?
Yes, some time after launch we are going to add tunnels to the game.

To the list since it's a common question/concern.