• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

djrice247

High Lord of Terra
28 Badges
Dec 19, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
Somewhat pointless question, but is it possible to have ships on either the Caspian or Aral Seas? I don't know why you would, but just wondering. If so, does that mean you could have a merchant republic confined to just that area?

Also, is it somehow possible to build trading posts in the Indian Ocean if you are a European merchant republic? I know you cannot change your capital so probably not.

You can only build trade posts in one Ocean - either Atlantic+European Seas or Indian + Indian Seas. You can move your capital to de jure capital of your primary title. So, if your Venice conquers Duchy of Medina and move your capital there, you can start building trade posts in India (you won't lose European posts, but you won't be able to build new one there until you move your capital back to Europe or Northern Africa.

It'd be possible but you'd need to create a new "ocean" for each of these and assign every sea tile within these "oceans" a province ID and a port. But there's no real point in doing that, tbh. The only ones who could possibly take advantage of this are the Germanic, who are usually far from those seas.

The Caspian is considered a major river for the purposes of Norse boat travel, but not as actual seas. I can't remember if you can go to the Aral Sea or not.

Also, is it somehow possible to build trading posts in the Indian Ocean if you are a European merchant republic? I know you cannot change your capital so probably not.

You can only build trade posts in one Ocean - either Atlantic+European Seas or Indian + Indian Seas. You can move your capital to de jure capital of your primary title. So, if your Venice conquers Duchy of Medina and move your capital there, you can start building trade posts in India (you won't lose European posts, but you won't be able to build new one there until you move your capital back to Europe or Northern Africa.

I also recall hearing stories that you can seize/conquer trade posts of another Republic, even if they are in the other ocean.

In particular, someone allowed a Merchant Republic to pop up in the Red Sea (south of Sinai) and then stole any trade posts that were built.

Which requires Norse river sailing
Which is fucked up to say at least. I understand the argument that "only" Scandinavians had special boats with what they could use portages, but I have no idea why Indians for example cannot boat up the Ganges river without converting into some Germanic paganism.

Last edited:
Which is fucked up to say at least. I understand the argument that "only" Scandinavians had special boats with what they could use portages, but I have no idea why Indians for example cannot boat up the Ganges river without converting into some Germanic paganism.

Balance issues, but I suppose there wasn't really any tradition of Indian kingdoms using the Ganges or indeed the Indus to move militaries into position. It'd be odd if Punjab declared war on Sindh and sailed down the Indus to reach their capital unmolested.

This was very helpful. On a related note, has anyone ever seen Indian merchant republics spring up without use of the console? I have yet to see that.