• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does not matter. Even if the target is only Sicily. If you siege down all the province of Greece you will also get these counties.

Which is entirely different from only being able to TARGET the Kingdom of Sicily during a Prepared Invasion. Of course you can take everything if you siege all of the ERE.

Which is entirely different from only being able to TARGET the Kingdom of Sicily during a Prepared Invasion. Of course you can take everything if you siege all of the ERE.

This. Which Kingdom you target is irrelevant. I targeted the Kingdom of Aquitaine, but took all of frisia and western francia before peacing out.

ALL counties you occupy at least a single holding in will be granted you after the invasion finishes. Technically as Saxony you could take over the entire Karling Empire in one war (if karl inherited cleanly).

I'm almost positive that Norman culture CANNOT appear in a French county.. French is it's own culture, and the Norman conversion event is only for Norse ruling breton, occitan, or frankish counties. I'm pretty sure this is just an oversight by the devs, so hopefully this catches their eye. (it turns out the oversight was my own.. "french" culture is called "frankish" in the coding, so french can indeed turn Norman with a Norse ruler, however frankish [called old_frankish in game code] counties CANNOT)

also, if you're using "settle tribe" it only attempts to change your target to your characters CURRENT culture... So unless you're already Norman yourself (which you are not), there's no possible way you could get Norman culture from "settle tribe". Norse rulers can only settle Norse tribes.

Technically as Saxony you could take over the entire Karling Empire in one war (if karl inherited cleanly).

No, because you can only declare to invade one de jure kingdom at a time. Everything the karlings possessed would have to drift into one de jure kingdom for that to be possible... But it still wouldn't be possible because you can only launch your invasion on a realm in which the target has 40 or less holdings.

That's why you can prepare an invasion on the King of West Francia, but when you go to actually launch the invasion, you can't select west francia as the target.. because he controls way more than 40 holdings in it. Pretty dumb, i wasted an entire 2 years waiting as Haestienn when i discovered this dumbness.

Last edited:
I'm almost positive that Norman culture CANNOT appear in a French county.. French is it's own culture, and the Norman conversion event is only for Norse ruling breton, occitan, or frankish counties. I'm pretty sure this is just an oversight by the devs, so hopefully this catches their eye.

also, if you're using "settle tribe" it only attempts to change your target to your characters CURRENT culture... So unless you're already Norman yourself (which you are not), there's no possible way you could get Norman culture from "settle tribe". Norse rulers can only settle Norse tribes.

No, because you can only declare to invade one de jure kingdom at a time. Everything the karlings possessed would have to drift into one de jure kingdom for that to be possible... But it still wouldn't be possible because you can only launch your invasion on a realm in which the target only has 40 or less holdings.

That's why you can prepare an invasion on the King of West Francia, but when you go to actually launch the invasion, you can't select west francia as the target.. because he controls way more than 40 holdings in it. Pretty dumb, i wasted an entire 2 years waiting as Haestienn when i discovered this dumbness.

You are confused and incorrect. It is French that becomes Norman, NOT Frankish.

You are confused and incorrect. It is French that becomes Norman, NOT Frankish.

Really? Because this is the event;

# Province adopts Norman culture
province_event = {
id = TOG.2003
desc = EVTDESC_TOG_2003
picture = GFX_evt_viking_throneroom_oldgods
border = GFX_event_normal_frame_diplomacy

trigger = {
OR = {
culture = frankish
culture = breton
culture = occitan
}
owner = {
culture = norse
}
NOT = { year = 1150 }
}

mean_time_to_happen = {
months = 600
}

option = {
name = EVTOPTA_TOG_2003
trigger = {
NOT = {
owner = { culture = norman }
}
}
culture = norman
}
option = {
name = EVTOPTB_TOG_2003
trigger = {
owner = { culture = norman }
}
culture = norman
}
}

EDIT: i now realize that "frankish" is the code-term for "french" and "old_frankish" is for "frankish". Obvious where the confusion came in. similar scenario with anglo-saxons ("saxon" in files) and saxon (old_saxon in files), so yes, STORMWEAVER is correct. I was confident because of the coding, and the coding is misleading! tricksy hobbitses

Last edited:
I'm almost positive that Norman culture CANNOT appear in a French county.. French is it's own culture, and the Norman conversion event is only for Norse ruling breton, occitan, or frankish counties. I'm pretty sure this is just an oversight by the devs, so hopefully this catches their eye.

No, because you can only declare to invade one de jure kingdom at a time. Everything the karlings possessed would have to drift into one de jure kingdom for that to be possible... But it still wouldn't be possible because you can only launch your invasion on a realm in which the target has 40 or less holdings.

You are wrong. It does not matter what you target kingdom is. You gain every title that you have sieged down at least one holding in the same way as tribal invasion, regardless of if the title is in the target kingdom or not, go try it out.

This. Which Kingdom you target is irrelevant. I targeted the Kingdom of Aquitaine, but took all of frisia and western francia before peacing out.

ALL counties you occupy at least a single holding in will be granted you after the invasion finishes. Technically as Saxony you could take over the entire Karling Empire in one war (if karl inherited cleanly).

What's the point of the kingdom targetting mechanic? It sounds like it does nothing?

What's the point of the kingdom targetting mechanic? It sounds like it does nothing?

You gain those titles when you win the war regardless of whether or not you sieged anything in the target area down. Anything outside the target area that has at least a holding sieged down will also be taken with the target kingdom as a "bonus".

If you siege in every county they own, you get everything.

You are wrong. It does not matter what you target kingdom is. You gain every title that you have sieged down at least one holding in the same way as tribal invasion, regardless of if the title is in the target kingdom or not, go try it out.

this seems like kind of a "loophole". Do you know if this is intended?

this seems like kind of a "loophole". Do you know if this is intended?

it's been like that since Old gods, and works the same way as tribal invasion, so by now it either is WAD or not going to get changed.

You basically only get to use the invasion once anyways, and the only reason you can take over massive empires is because tribal prestige armies.

Another question is:

Why the hell does Breton+Norse=Norman?

North Germanic + Celtic =/= Latin as far as I am aware.

Surely because of the French influence on Breton (and because Breton is also used for Breton dukes who spoke mostly French in later start dates I think)

Surely because of the French influence on Breton (and because Breton is also used for Breton dukes who spoke mostly French in later start dates I think)

I think it's also so that Norman may appear, because the AI sure won't be able to launch a Prepared Invasion of the Karling Blob with any certainty for success. At least a couple of county conquest in Brittany will allow it, and then later English culture, to appear.