• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chemical weapons they are bad they kill people you know.... But then again so do guns and tanks and nuclear bombs and firestorms and carpet bombing....

The Germans did not use chemical weapons in WWII. Noone used chemical weapons in WWII except for very limited amounts by the Japanese.

There's simply no reason to include them at all, that is all.

I'd consider The Great Purge in the Soviet Union as a WMD. Since, many die in one button press.

I guess this is true and unfortunate since IRL not all of them actually died. Many officers (atleast on the level of major general and above) where actually 'only' arrested or sacked and several of them where later allowed back into the armed forces after Operation Barbarossa showed the need for experienced officers. Some even went on to become war heroes like the famous Field Marshal Konstantin Rokossovsky who where arrested during the purges and after severe torture in the hands of the NKVD he was let back into the expanding army in 1940.

The Germans did not use chemical weapons in WWII. Noone used chemical weapons in WWII except for very limited amounts by the Japanese.

There's simply no reason to include them at all, that is all.

Soviet sources do claim that their armed forces where attacked with chemical weapons (Sarin) atleast once during the final rush for Berlin and Germany had made substantial efforts into researching and manufacturing chemical weapons so it´s not inplausible that some fanatical officer decided to use them. However since Paradox have decided that these sort of weapons will not be reprsented, a wise decision if one asks me, it´s more of an academical question really.

back to Topic:

If i'm right was a big point that no one used C-weapons because every countries had enough of them to completely destroy the enemy. I had some lessons about this at my Military Service at the CBRN-Defense.
as example Britain feard the possibility of a extensive chemical attack on souther/mid England, including London.
The USA also feared japanese C-attacks, there was one example with balloons, but the japs just load them with conventional ammo.
Same at the Axis.

If you Argument only the fact that nobody used it is not a cause to not implement something - okay, but the engine (imho) don't Support this Kind of weapon. IF C-weapons are implemented, the possibility of a total C-warfare (which ends imho like an global nuclear war) should at least exist. Means the death of all (local) Population, maybe influences to the nature and permanent contaminated Areas. (VX - discovered in 1955 (time of very late DH) acts over weeks and months)
If you just use them "tactical" it is enough to made a C-artillery Brigade with very high softattack-Bonus. I had some times ago a concept for this (based on Events), but the outcome is not worth the work.

After all I think also A-weapons are bad implemented to DH or HoI in General. The aftermath is totally under-represented. (local) Chaos, nuclear winter, total Transformation to wasteland (up to 10kMT Bombs), the collapse of the state/System, nothing is really included.

And yeah, of course no one want this Scenario, but what if I let the cold war escalate? What if I play a crazy dictator of a small Country and rush nuke-tech? Atm I can fire in every province of (as example) Germany an nuke, all what follows is very low IC/TK 'cause the manufactures/streets are destroyed, some divisions are hardly damaged too. Which is not a large-scale nuclear attack equitable.

just my opinion, personal I would like the implementation of the possibility of a nuclear apocalypse, just to see how much of my Nation will survive and Play a bit fallout without the fallout mod or just for a real cold war Feeling of Paranoia.

Greez
Opa

edit: and drugs Counts militarily not as chemical weapon; but teargas do! ;)

It occours to me that if I ain't wrong there's a command named gas_attack in dd or da(I can dimly remember) ,which seems to be something associated with chemical weapons while it makes no difference to the battle according to someone's words or somthing i've read sometime or something else. My opinion is that in any case won't I sustain or wish the idea of adding chemical or biologicial weapons as it's inhuman and for the limit of the mechanism of this game.

This is like every other weapon in the game. Churchill argued that HE shells are more inhumane than combat gas used in WW1.

Well, to some extent the war itself is inhuman while to some extent indeed there's no such thing like humanity as somebody is supposed to die during war. But once you meet c-weapons to a great extent you're nowhere to hide and survive and if u're shot to death the pain won't last a long time but if u've got poisoned to death the very pain'll be long-lasting, which is where the inhumanity of c-weapons consists in. Compared with that, Bullets're more human right haha?:laugh:. BTW, IMHO, whz HE shells?

Well, to some extent the war itself is inhuman while to some extent indeed there's no such thing like humanity as somebody is supposed to die during war. But once you meet c-weapons to a great extent you're nowhere to hide and survive and if u're shot to death the pain won't last a long time but if u've got poisoned to death the very pain'll be long-lasting, which is where the inhumanity of c-weapons consists in. Compared with that, Bullets're more human right haha?:laugh:. BTW, IMHO, whz HE shells?
What do you think happens to a person when an HE shell goes off near to them? I have heard interviews with German soldiers who fought at Verdun in 1916 and their descriptions of what they found in the French trenches after HE bombardment. Really it is not nice. Also, if you are shot to death then it could last a long time, especially if it is a gut-shot. Something that any player of DH has to get to grips with is that they are simulating extreme carnage for their personal entertainment. Attempts by devs etc. to make things "clean" strikes me as dishonest and hypocritical, and risks giving the younger generation mistaken ideas about the realities of warfare.

rgr.

but,
Air Doctrine "Battlefield Herbicide(1953)" is not a Chemical Weapon?
It is but it technically does not hit civilians (same argument the US gov used, even i today people die from deformities due the chemical residues). And it doesnot enter in the forum rules.

When it's already being discussed, i want to ask if someone knows what gas_attack and gas_protection was meant for. Is it an orphanage from Victoria ? I think it's since first HoI2.