• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ozgreat

Corporal
26 Badges
Oct 5, 2014
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
I am sorry if this is a real dumb question.

Do I need Generals to command garrisons that are of no real award to a potential enemy?

And, where I do have garrisons close to borders and are considered to be targets do I merely combine the army in that province, with a general or 2, thereby giving me more choices to spread available generals among larger and more strategic armies?

Thanks in advance and kind regards to all,

oz

Not at all :). My 2 cents, for what it's worth. Haven't played MotE in a little while now, so memory's a bit hazy, but I think the below is correct. Hopefully someone who's a bit more up-to-speed with the game will meander around the forums before too long.

You definitely don't need generals for forces that you think aren't likely to see combat, and the benefits you get from having generals on a flank, particularly when you can set the tactics, is well worth focussing on your main 'battle' armies. From my somewhat hazy memory, you don't need generals at all for a force to be able to fight, generals just improve the quality of the fight that your force will provide, and allow for tactics on each of the (up to) three sections. If I understand the question correctly, at the end of the day it's a strategic decision which should be based on your particular circumstances, but when I play MotE I tend to focus my generals in the mobile armies rather than garrisons, except in strategic defensive locations.