• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To all of you saying that it is "playable"

There has been a bad CTD bug on linux for like two months now, since the beta patch prior to WoL that makes the game crash about 60 years after start and then crash on the same date every singe time you load the game.

I don't go to 1337 in my games but this is really pretty ridiculous.
Then again, most people are using Windows, so a Linux bug is not something we would notice.

It will sooner reduce the support for patching as DLC's are where the funds for it come from so that's not a perfect decision either.

Paradox has had big success with CK2 and EU4 so I doubt they have any money problems. If they really wanted it they could present us reasonably tested DLC's and patches. Other companies manage to do it. They just have to put more resources into testing / release DLCs less frequently. We have to break the current DLC-whoring system.

Defines on what you mean by 'playable', apart from the Linux issues which do make it more unplayable.

Does the game run and operate - Yes, with rare CTDs since 2.3.

Is the game usable - Yes, if you like an easy life.

Is the game working as designed (WAD) - No, but it is playable, but not as you might expect (and apologies, but I only started with CM, so I have no experience of how it used to be).

I have various armies scattered around my empire, but, with High CA, I don't see my counts warring on their dukes. I do have a lot of intrigues, generally Kill Someone and some Claim Fabrication. If not that, they are all buried in seduction, which is an issue with WoL. I get an occasional revolt, Cathar or Sunni, but no-one has tried for Independence or Lower CA. I had a couple of Adventurers against me in the 1000s but nothing else since then, apart from raiding Vikings. Perhaps because of my size, but no-one wants to declare war on me.

France/Benelux split into 6 kingdoms in late 8000s and all they seem to do now is deal with revolts, very few internal wars. None of them or Italy were interested in the last Crusades for Greece and Jerusalem, so I grew from King of Bavaria to King of Bavaria, Greece and Jerusalem, and have the Bavarian Empire. I am, apart from Umayyad, the largest army at 1185, and waiting for a Jihad on Jerusalem.

There are things I could do - take out the rest of Europe, Greece, Anatolia should all be possible for me. It is just that I don't get attacked, internally or externally.

Defines on what you mean by 'playable', apart from the Linux issues which do make it more unplayable.

Is the game working as designed (WAD) - No, but it is playable, but not as you might expect (and apologies, but I only started with CM, so I have no experience of how it used to be).

I have various armies scattered around my empire, but, with High CA, I don't see my counts warring on their dukes. I do have a lot of intrigues, generally Kill Someone and some Claim Fabrication. If not that, they are all buried in seduction, which is an issue with WoL. I get an occasional revolt, Cathar or Sunni, but no-one has tried for Independence or Lower CA. I had a couple of Adventurers against me in the 1000s but nothing else since then, apart from raiding Vikings. Perhaps because of my size, but no-one wants to declare war on me.

France/Benelux split into 6 kingdoms in late 8000s and all they seem to do now is deal with revolts, very few internal wars. None of them or Italy were interested in the last Crusades for Greece and Jerusalem, so I grew from King of Bavaria to King of Bavaria, Greece and Jerusalem, and have the Bavarian Empire. I am, apart from Umayyad, the largest army at 1185, and waiting for a Jihad on Jerusalem.

There are things I could do - take out the rest of Europe, Greece, Anatolia should all be possible for me. It is just that I don't get attacked, internally or externally.

Dude... it's a strategy game and the AI can't declare war after a while... it's not "playable" except if it was an early access game, it is a game nearly 3 years old..

Dude... it's a strategy game and the AI can't declare war after a while... it's not "playable" except if it was an early access game, it is a game nearly 3 years old..

That's what he is saying, its not playable in the WAD sense, just the "It turns on!" sense.

People wanted more peacetime activity. PDS eradicated war. People want more wartime activity. No pleasing some people, huh.

joke

It's playable right now. I'm not a fanboy who'll defend every single thing about this game (or any game, I don't do fanboyism), for example there have been many things about this game that've made me roll my eyes so hard I almost had a seizure. Like when the Fatimids used to be invincible (literally), when Republics (just after the Republic expansion) would conquer half the world in the first 10 years of the game, when decadence was so broken (which was for most of its existence) that it was either at 100% and Muslims were unplayable or at 0% all the time, making them invincible. So yeah, this game has had non-stop troubles.

Still, it's very playable now. No crashes or freezes, the levy bug isn't the worst thing in the world. In fact it opens up the opportunity to play as Zunists and not get wiped out instantly! Enjoy it while it lasts! You'll never get that again!

What?

Are you saying you have yet to experience the infamous levy bug?

One thing I recommend is to stop buying DLC's at full price. It's time to force paradox to spend more time to raise quality of their products.

I'm inclined to agree. I've been buying all of the DLC including all of the silly unit packs, etc. mainly because I've wanted to support the devs for making awesome games of high quality... but now that quality is slipping and I feel like I've been subsidizing sloppiness.

Yep, this basically summarizes my observations. If you don't understand the mechanics of the game very well, then the unplayability of its current state is invisible. I've you've played it a lot, then the problems are pretty obvious. I was playing a count in Lombardy and steamrolled my way to an independant kingdom in just a few years. When I declared independance, the King sent 145 soldiers after me. Yep, unplayable.