• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
this + republican fix + options to find 'all people to duel, all people availbe to marry,etc' options + undo building

Nothing as irritating as the slow ass shitty menu and building a wrong building on accident with your hard earned money.

I imagine it might make sense from the perspective of advertising ToG and CM DLC, but it's annoying to have to click through when you want to start a new game. In a game where I can play as hundreds of different characters, I am unlikely to choose those seven suggested.

You guys have all spent more time complaining on this forum about the menu than you ever will navigating past it.

This is the most trivial issue I've ever seen people whine about. You should all be ashamed.

Reactions:
You guys have all spent more time complaining on this forum about the menu than you ever will navigating past it.

This is the most trivial issue I've ever seen people whine about. You should all be ashamed.

And you spent more time complaining about the complaining than if you just ignored the thread and moved on. You should be ashamed.

Reactions:

The difference is that we are *choosing* to post about this topic and devote some of our time to this. Whereas the game just took something that used to be relatively quick and made it slower and require more work to get to.

Numerous off-topic and insulting posts deleted. Please be civil to each other, or refrain from posting.

And if you feel posts have broken the rules, report them to any Moderator by PM. Never publicly comment on them, that just tends to inflame things further.

Thank you.

I got 2 ideas. Paradox introduced the "choose your starting era" to make the later start dates more played, but we, at least most of us it seems, don't like it, what if paradox removed it but put the starting era pictures in the startdate tap on the left ? When I see a cool picture mongol behind the 1250 startdate, I think I would play it more often :) f.e.

The second idea is to have a separate button in the main menu, singleplayer, load game, multiplayer ect as well as "Choose your starting era".

I like the first idea more, but I would prefer the latter to what we have now.

Indeed, given one can load a game without going to the screen, I like seeing the bookmarks and given me an incentive to try the other start dates

If we had more start dates in the screen, and more historical scenarios (e.g. The Anarchy in England), it could certainly be worth it.

I like it in some ways because it in encourages people to choose other dates -- but it needs to be implemented much better than it has been. Include more and make it less laggy. No reason to lock me out of doing anything while your picture slides slooooowwwlllly to the left and then finally the text appears after an excruciatingly long five or six seconds. I highly doubt this screen actually requires so many resources that it needs to be laggy, since it's literally just a "click button, move picture, draw text" item.

Anyway, about dates. Before ToG, everyone only played 1066. Then people only ever played 867 with very occasional 1066. Now people play basically just a mixture of 867 and the new Charlemagne start date (769?). But there's so many cool dates, and the only one I ever see get ANY love is 1081, which is generally what people use if they feel like a Byzantine game. However, very few people played the game out to the end when we had four hundred years, let alone seven. Some really really cool start dates are available and I hoped that by making them more visually obvious Paradox could encourage their use a bit more.

^

This. 1337 actually might be my favorite start date. It makes for a short action-packed game.

The dark age start dates are necessary if you're playing pagans/Khazars/Zoroastrians, but 1066 is better for giving you a more historical feel, since the important realms have all been established; even better is 1081 (I wish it were billed as the high middle ages date rather than 1066), given the big changes that took place in Spain, the Levant, and Anatolia.

Not that I ever really minded the wackiness of the earlier dates; dark ages were dark.

I wanted to give this a chance, but the truth is, the "Choose Your Starting Era" screen hasn't grown on me. Over time, it's simply become more annoying. It's interesting to read through the era text once, but after that, it becomes tedious, not to mention painfully slow. I am sick to death of watching that era icon drag across the screen. I have gotten to the point where I will purposefully circumvent the era chooser when starting a new game by clicking "Load" and then "Back", which drops me to the normal bookmark selection tool.

Think about that. A UI change is being purposefully circumvented because of how annoying it is.

I understand a lot of work went into this, and I understand the motivation behind it, but the era chooser has not helped. If anything, it's made me less likely to pick anything but the earliest start date, because I want nothing to do with the delay. So far, the most successful attempt to get me to play in alternative starting dates are the achievements - I'm particularly likely to explore those other dates if an achievement needs to be started later.

So my request is this:

Please please please please please remove the "Choose Your Starting Era" screen. Or at least give us an option to disable it, even if we have to change a .ini file to do so. I would be willing to be that if you posted a poll, at least 70% of people would express a strong dislike of this feature, with less than 1 in 10 actually liking it. cannot express how much this screen annoys me.