• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

El Poco

Recruit
1 Badges
Apr 25, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
EVIL KINGDOM - ALPHA 2, VERY ALPHA

Evil has arrived in the world. In the cold lands of Iceland, the Evil Dark Lord has risen. He is slowly gathering strength, and will soon start his evil plans to take over the world! Hopefully, heroes are starting to rise in all kingdoms to fight against Evil. But will they be able to defeat the Evil Emperor of Evil?

Let's hope not: that's who you're playing.

Evil Kingdom is a Modification for Crusader Kings 2 that let you play the Evil Dark Lord, Emperor of Evil. It works with the vanilla game, it's been tested with latest versions. I don't know what the minimal version is.
Currently English and French translations are available.

Features
  • Open portals to hellish dimensions to summon armies of monsters!
  • Corrupt lords by exploiting their sins!
  • Kidnap princesses, because that's what evil kings do!
  • Send heroes to their death by luring them in dungeons with promises of treasure only to kill them with traps and monsters!
  • Build rat-infested houses, so that heroes lose time doing boring quests for very little XP and loot!
  • And much more coming (prophecies, sending plague, etc.)!

While it is theoretically possible to play a non-evil character in the struggle against Evil, that's not really the aim of the mod, and it probably won't work well for now.

Current state
The mod is currently in alpha state. It has many features, but very little attention has been given to UI (dialogs don't have the right picture and often the wrong portrait, tooltips are rarely handled correctly) and it lacks custom graphics (for monsters and heroes units mostly).
It also had very little testing. I don't have a lot of time to test, and that's why I'm releasing it this early. I'll need people to help me test it, not only to find bugs but also to check balance and fun.

I especially need tests on long games. Iceland is a really good starting point: you can start by conquering Ireland, then England, but then comes the big continent with heroes coming from further inland, meaning they'll take more time to reach you and so will make more XP on the way and be more dangerous when they arrive in Evil Heart. Normally, Evil Heart should also be the target of crusades (and possibly Jihads), keeping the game challenging even as the Evil Empire starts covering half of the map... That's the idea, at least, I need to make sure that it truly happens like this.

Inputs and ideas are welcome, but don't expect me to accept and include everything that is suggested.

Changelog
Alpha2:
- Removed debug message ("BLZABLABL")
- Removed letter when a new hero appears, to reduce spam

Current features
New titles:
  • Play as Evil Emperor Dark Lord of the Emperor of Evil, King of the Evil Kingdom, ruler of Evil Island (Iceland)
New religion and culture: evil
New trait: evil lord. The Dark Lord is immortal, powerful and loved by everyone who's evil.
New buildings:
  • Castles:
  • Hell portals are available in Evil Heart (Westisland), Prague, Roma and Jerusalem. Each of them can unleash hordes of monsters.
  • Evil throne room (in Evil Heart castle only) for more prestige and piety
  • Treasure room, to lure heroes in your dungeons
  • Traps, to kill the heroes you lured in your dungeons
  • Towns:
  • Rat-infested houses and taverns, to delay adventurers with quests (and potentially kill them)

New units:
  • Monsters, weak in skirmish but very powerful in melee (the "zombie horde" effect).
  • Heroes, very powerful, though often alone.
New councillor actions:
  • "Improve Relations" now let your chancellor give the "possessed" trait to characters who indulge in one of the seven sins
  • Evil marshals can "fight heroes" to wound, maim or kill them.
  • Evil spymasters can "kidnap princesses"
  • Evil chaplains can "turn evil" characters with the possessed or cruel traits, converting them to the "evil" religion.
New decisions:
  • Evil chaplains can "Summon monsters", that act like powerful rebels (stay in the province where they were summoned, cause trouble and attack all levies)
  • Dark Lord can sacrifice princesses after 1 year of imprisonment to gain piety
  • Dark Lord can summon unholy storms around Evil Island to send heroes boat away from his shores
New events:
  • Heroes will rise against the Dark Lord, sometimes randomly but more often when their kingdom is under attack. Heroes move regularly (every month or so) towards Evil Island, go into dungeons or taverns for quests, take boats in coastal provinces (to reach Evil Island), attack evil levies, cause rebellions in Evil controlled provinces, fight monsters and can attack and kill the Dark Lord.
Changes and tweaks:
  • Dark Lord can't get sick or get wounded too badly in battle
  • Probably some other stuff I don't remember

Download & Installation
Alpha2 is available here: https://pynode.tonidoid.com/urlclh3gu let me know if it's down, the cats like to unplug the hard-drive.
Just open up the .zip file and place the contents in <Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod

Older versions:
Alpha1: https://pynode.tonidoid.com/urlbxbnzd

Planned improvements/fixes:

Short term:
  • Make "possession" more conditional to the actions of the lords (see the details part)
  • Add more uses to piety. One of them could be to boost the "recruting" speed of monsters in provinces where there are netherworld portals.
  • Have a decent UI (tooltips, correct dialogs, etc.)
  • Female heroes, because there's no reason heroes should all be male (except engine troubles that I might need to work around)
  • If a princess is locked up, have heroes save princesses rather than challenge the Evil Lord when in Evil Heart. This would make kidnapping princesses more interesting and always relevant (the piety boost might be useless once getting enough monthly piety).
  • Maybe have the hero either be able to destroy the netherworld portal or to summon the Dark Lord when clearing the Evil Heart dungeon. Otherwise, the Dark Lord can avoid trouble by leading troops outside when heroes arrive in Evil Heart.

Longer term:
  • Spreading diseases, might be useful to lower the defenses in a province, or to get people to be more likely to convert to evil
  • Prophecies. I don't know what to do with them now, but they're such a staple to the genre that I can't do without them
  • Custom models for monsters and heroes, maybe.
  • New events and decisions
  • Crusades against evil? (This might already be the case, I think Evil Heart is considered as a potential target for crusade and jihads, but I'm not sure)

Tutorial/Start guide
Here is a small tutorial to guide you through your first steps as the Dark Lord. It shows you different mechanisms and should help you start on the right tracks, though it might not be an optimal guide. It assumes that you are familiar with CK2.

• Start as the Dark Lord (in Iceland). Since I don't have any DLC, I've only started at the first available date in the vanilla game, I don't know what could happen in other periods.
  • Your first step will be to conquer Ireland through fighting and corruption.
  • Assign jobs to your councillors:
  • first, select "turn evil" for your chaplain and check if there's any province in Ireland that lights up. If so, send him there. If not, you can have him "summon monsters" in Norway. It's not very helpful, but in case the king of Norway wants to take back Iceland (didn't happen to me often) that could mess a bit with him.​
  • Check the sins of the province owners in Ireland and send your chancellor to "improve relations". This will allow him to give them the possessed trait, that will allow you to send the chaplain to turn them evil. At the start of the game, lustful lords are the easiest to possess, since you probably have someone to send them. Wrath and Glutonny are good as well, as long as you've got at least 100 piety or gold. Other sins are better ignored for now.​
  • Your marshal can stay and train troops or study tech, and you can use your steward as usual.​
  • Your spymaster can only kidnap unmarried and childless ("virgin") princesses older than 16. You can try with the Norway princess, but chances are it won't work. You might have better luck a few years after with the daughters of the King of England.​

• Raise one levy (or two) and send it to pillage Ireland. It might raise a few heroes, but it will get you the gold that you need.
  • If heroes start to arrive in Evil Island, send your Marshal there to fight them. They should be pretty weak, but you don't want to take chances and have a hero reach Evil Heart and kill you.
  • While your levies pillage Ireland (and the surrounding lands if you want), try to turn evil as many Ireland lords as you can with your chancellor and chaplain.
  • Once you've got enough money, you can build the Netherworld portal in Evil Heart. Right now, it's mostly important because it boosts your total levy size, and rival lords are less likely to declare war on you. The monsters in themselves will take a long time to recruit, and you won't have enough boats to carry them anyway.
  • Once you've got a sizeable army, declare war to some Ireland lord. It's better to choose one who only has one province but has not exploitable sin.
  • Win the war. It shouldn't be too difficult. Meanwhile, keep converting lords to the evil religion.
  • Once the war is won, you should be able to successfully offer vassalization to the evil lords of Ireland.
  • You can now keep on conquering Ireland by force and corruption.
  • Don't forget to send your chaplain to kidnap the English princesses once the elder is old enough. And don't forget to execute her after a year in your dungeon. The piety boost might come in handy. Building and improving the throne room in Evil Heart can also help.
  • Once you have enough money, you might consider building random encounters and a treasure room in Evil Land, so that you can use your marshal on something else than fighting heroes. Adding basic traps can help make sure that very few heroes will get past Evil Land. You can also use the unholy storm to limit the risks of heroes arriving in Evil Land, but there's a risk of having the hero come back with a higher level.
  • As you conquer more provinces, you get access to more boats, which let you carry more monsters from Evil Heart, which can be interesting to get big levies.

Details
Heroes have a level that's represented by their martial score (5 levels, one every ten martial points). Some of their actions can reward them with martial points. The higher the level, the more powerful heroes are: they kill more units in combat, they are more likely to get out of dungeons and to succeed in tavern quests. They're also more likely to win fights against the marshal or the Dark Lord himself.

• Corruption of a Lord requires action from the Dark Lord, which depends on the sin the Dark Lord wants to exploit:
  • Pride: Relationship with the lord needs to be at least 80
  • Greed: Need to give 300 gold to the lord
  • Envy: Need to grant the lord a title he has a claim to
  • Wrath:! Spend 100 piety to give the lord +10 martial
  • Lust: Send a sexual partner to the lord, with the "lustful" or "beautiful" traits. If none is available among the courtier, summon one for 100 piety
  • Gluttony: Give 100 gold of food to the lord
  • Sloth: Send someone who could make a great councillor to the lord's court
Currently, doing so will automatically make the lord "possessed". In the future, I'd like to add a condition, like declaring war for wrath, taking the succubus/incubbus as lover for lust, spending lavishly for a feast for gluttony, etc.

Use in other mods

Feel free to do whatever you want with this mod, just avoid to release it as "Evil Kingdom" or it'll get confusing. I'll try to put it on a repository somewhere so that some teamwork can be done.

Have (evil) fun!

Last edited:
Sounds really awesome, gonna try this out.

BTW keep up the amazing work, looking forward to future versions :)

Oh yes, I started development before Charlemagne got out, and was afraid I'll crash things if I went too far back in time.
I'll fix this ASAP.

Since I don't have any DLC, I haven't done any test before the vanilla earliest start date.

BTW there's another bug a way (few decades or so) into the game, the lord gets spammed with 'young heroes joining the fight against you' events even in faraway lands you have no influence in lol, bit annoying. Also you often get an event saying 'BLZABLABL' alongside the spam. Would be great if you could fix it ;) (maybe reduce the frequency, able to make them background events etc?)

Last edited:
I've released alpha 2, that removes the debug event ("BLZABLABL") and the dialog when a hero appears. (I haven't found a way to make it a background event)

It seems that the Dark Lord is actually supposed to always have the evil_trait, which grants immortality (among other stuff), so the immortality bug is probably something in the engine rather than in the mod.

Tonight I've tried to play to this but I've encountered that I suppose to be a bug after having built the Netherworld portal as expected my levies went up but the problem is I've no much galleys to transport all my troops and for some strange reasons I cannot divide them in half!
So I'm blocked with a giant army of 12K men that I cannot transport :blink:

Thanks for your interest.

@jebezt2: I've had a lack of time and motivation (and I've recently rediscovered the joys of Men of War, which doesn't help). I'm not sure when I'll be able to resume work. Maybe the end of the month.

@fanoI: You can't divide a single levy. But this is a design choice: you need to use other ways to conquer your first provinces to get the galleys you need for a full scale invasion. This forces the player to use corruption and not just rely on brute force. It also makes the beginning of the evil invasion a bit more low-key, as in many stories. But I was thinking of maybe having a decision to summon the dark fleet in exchange for some piety. I'm still on the fence.

Planned improvements/fixes:

[*]Female heroes, because there's no reason heroes should all be male (except engine troubles that I might need to work around)

Agreed! Since this is a fantasy mod, that makes total sense; you're not aiming for traditional historicity. Why not go bigger, though?

There's really no reason, except for old-timey prejudices, that the damsels in distress all have to be damsels. Further, it's more logical for The Evil Lord of Evil to kidnap those with Y-chromosomes; better to convert/sacrifice the heirs, right? So, kidnap Princes, as well as Princesses.

And, actually, if it's not too much trouble, I'd suggest that you release a variant in which one could play as "The Dark Empress, Fell Lady of the Empire of Darkness, Queen of the Dark Kingdom." If one could press a decision, on turn one, to portrait and gender swap, that would be cool. (Just set her as the successor, and make the decision an abdication? It would also allow the game to continue if a bug happens and the Dark Lord dies.)

Obviously, it's more important for you to enjoy making this mod, rather than to pander to political correctness. I just think that there's probably some 17-year old girl out there, playing CKII, who might love to be Galadriel-with-the-Ring, when she downloads this cool thing you're making. Just my two cents; sorry if I bother anyone, yes, I'm male, just read that line quoted above, and thought of this.