HoIIV - Developer Diary 11 - Map & Graphics -[ NO COUNTERS DISCUSSION ]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE add that politcal map-terrain map combo to EU4.
The game engine is the same so it shouldn't be hard.

The engine isnt the same. We use Clausewitz 4 while they are on 3. its quite a large jump technically that partially came with PS4 support.

Important question. Will there be a way to disable it, for those with low end pcs?

FOW is extremely cheap (like in all of our games). its cheaper than rendering an army mans helmet and done during the regular render pass.

Transparency might depend on zoom level, or the battle plan interface will simply remove the fog yet retain the intelligence. Anyway it seems like thing relatively easy to fix, and a thing that will definitely be caught in playtesting before release if indeed an issue.

it fades by distance yea (a lot of information does)

Probably already answered somewhere, but do all provinces still have a name, or just major cities?

Provinces are primarily just for movement and terrain types and dont really follow any political borders (except where they are country borders etc), so only VPs have names.

Well without money maybe not even a game - and most certainly after release less improvement on broken stuff... So I dont really see how this is can be bad?
Niche games have proven to be very possible and even lucrative, just not as much as a mass appeal seeking game. I cannot fault paradox for attempting to gain ever more money, but to say that they could not make games without seeking mass appeal is an outright falsehood.
One example of this is PDS itself and its older games, and another good example is matrix games. They produce more games and with more detail than paradox, and yes some of them are extremely buggy admittedly but that does not mean the system is unusable.

Reactions:
Also, I must say that the nuke counter being on the main bar at the top is a horrible choice, it should be confined to some sort of subscreen.
I honestly don't think the interface is finished already. Do you remember how much the alpha screenshots of HoI3 had to do with the actual UI of HoI3 vanilla?

From an artistic standpoint I have to say, you guys are rightfully proud about what you did. The map looks great, the day-night-cycles will improve the (yuck) immersion a lot and the lighting looks very profound.
Of course, nothing can be said about the gameplay aspects, but from the points you mentioned in the DD, you seem to be very much aware of the importance of balancing all that.

The persistent whining about counters, country colors (seriously? at least read the DD before complaining!) and somewhat sore attitude put on display by some of the users here will keep me from coming back to the forum until the release of the next DD.

I would prefer 2D map with counters. And different map modes.
I prefer efficiency over this...
Do not see the realism in all of this. If they are making models, I would prefer small groups of soldiers and tanks, not this huge models that will mix on the map. Never used models in hoi3 or hoi2.. and I want counters in hoi4.

Reactions:
No they aren't, those are just like the symbols from EU4 or CK2. Zoom in and you can see the (horrid) models.

So you're getting counters and 3D models? Sounds like you're getting a two-fer, so what are you complaining about?

Provinces are primarily just for movement and terrain types and dont really follow any political borders (except where they are country borders etc), so only VPs have names.

Bit of an ask, I know, but can at least major internal political borders be modeled? Not counties, but, e.g., UK home-nations, US states, USSR republics?

And whilst we're at it, will countries be releasable without annexation like in HOI2?

If feel able to talk about this, how does this impact infrastructure production? Are infrastructure, AA and fortifications still built by province, or is it done by region now? Alternatively, are provinces still selectable (bringing up province menus)? If so, is the absence of names simply on the map?

I was not complaining about anything in that post, simply correcting him because of his blatantly false affirmation.

You can see counters. What's the problem? Because they're not NATO counters?

I think it looks fantastic, I hope it plays as well as it looks, but no complaints from me so far.

I am looking forward to this more and more, will be good to see counter options though at some point.

You can see counters. What's the problem? Because they're not NATO counters?
While I am not sure if there is an exact definition of counters, if those are all we get I am going to be extremely disappointing.
What I, and many more, want are counters INSTEAD of the horrible 3d models. Kind of like in HOI3, which allowed you to switch between them.

Reactions:
Looks very promising. Now I'm even more hyped for this game!

Do not see the realism in all of this. If they are making models, I would prefer small groups of soldiers and tanks, not this huge models that will mix on the map. Never used models in hoi3 or hoi2.. and I want counters in hoi4.
They tried small groups of units. They couldn't get it to look good.

The persistent whining about counters, country colors (seriously? at least read the DD before complaining!) and somewhat sore attitude put on display by some of the users here will keep me from coming back to the forum until the release of the next DD.
Yeah, the complete lack of respect from certain people is becoming very annoying.

The new counters are even better than the old ones in HoI3. Now we can see unit strength and morale. Are they toggled or switch between counters and 3d models when you zoom?

While I am not sure if there is an exact definition of counters, if those are all we get I am going to be extremely disappointing.
What I, and many more, want are counters INSTEAD of the horrible 3d models. Kind of like in HOI3, which allowed you to switch between them.

That the Modells are Horrible is your opinion. I think they are pretty.

And yes for overview reasons complete counters at least at higher zoomlevel would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.