• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

fetusthebard

Captain
44 Badges
Nov 2, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
So EU4 is about to get scary as the Aztecs with the Art of War expansion. I want to get the Sunset Invasion achievement now. But when I port over from my Ironman game in CK2, EU4 isn't allowed to go Ironman because "there are mods". How does one stop this tomfoolery?
Can one use the converter to achieve this ultimate Nirvana?

No conversion allowed, that'd be too easy. You have to play normal, EU4 Aztecs.

Yeah. It's "insane" difficulty achievement, one of the 4 hardest in game according to PDS classification. As I said, conversion would be too easy.

No. Just no. I'm not doing that. Seriously?

Foul language removed - Seelmeister
It's not that hard, come on. If there is people that actually managed to conquer the world as Ryukyu... why wouldn't you have a change playing as Aztecs? Also, is this game even fun without a true challenge?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just not possible within the time restraint without relying on blind luck. You basically have to wait for the RNG to carry you. I'm still not even half as strong as the Europeans with a super early westernization, most of the land in the Americas and a PU with a now useless Inca. And I had decent RNG! France became protective of me during westernization! It is... in all actuality... that hard. There is a reason 0.1% of people (the lowest the counter goes) have this achievement.

In AOW Aztecs will have their own NI ideas, much much better than generic crap.

Okay, you have to first conquer all these states instead of Zapotecs/Maya but

a) It is much more fun :D

b) It still is possible to do in like 60 years.

Look, I have been playing with Iroquis. Iroquis start with 4 provinces and unlike Aztecs none of these provinces has gold. In the beginning they have literally few ducats of monthly income (minus the costs). By the time Europeans appeared in Canada in 1497 I had like 20 provinces and was strong enough to count as one of the biggest economies from both NA and Europe (lol). And I am in no way veteran/pro :D

Also, westernizing is much much easier if the instant first thing you do after encountering Europeans is immediately befriend them in all ways possible :p

Blind luck my foot.

1. Get good generals and build up economy:

2. In my case I went quantity/aristocratic/offensive. I underestimated France's morale + discipline advantage and lost some battles, but won some too. They (amusingly) couldn't keep up in manpower though, and occupations cut down their staying power:

3. Not even 100 years later, I get the achievement:

4. End score and ideas:

5. Empire:

A few things here. First of all, some people have finished significantly faster than me, owing to a combination of not going Protestant, not going republic (and getting good rulers), and France not PU integrating Portugal. I started pretty late (almost 1700), and still finished with decades to spare, 32/32/32, and maxed ideas...LOTS of wiggle room here.

I thought united HRE would be a challenge factor, but no they were a joke fight and I easily snagged Holland in 1 war with minimal fighting due to some creative use of forts in French land. Nobody other than France even knew how to put up a fight.

What's "super early westernization", by the way? You really should be westernized well ahead of 1550, more like 1540 is on the late side. If you manage trade in Caribbean well you can afford enough early carracks to smash Europeans to bits shortly after contact (you aren't relying on French protection, you might even attack them for colonies and win pre-1600), so winning wars can start early and you can seize their colonies often (go ahead and blow up their trade fleets if you can too, limits pull from WETN). After that it's just a matter of colonizing, killing natives + CNs, and building up enough infrastructure to challenge Europe while catching up in ideas.

Jihad, rereconquista, WC (especially 3 mountains), Norwegian wood are all harder. This one isn't a pure cakewalk, but calling it luck-based is a reach.

Something like this, only faster because you're not a tribal gov't as Aztec and going Christian rather than trying be lulzy with animist, should do (note: westernization completed in 1539):

Look, I have been playing with Iroquis. Iroquis start with 4 provinces and unlike Aztecs none of these provinces has gold. In the beginning they have literally few ducats of monthly income (minus the costs). By the time Europeans appeared in Canada in 1497 I had like 20 provinces and was strong enough to count as one of the biggest economies from both NA and Europe (lol). And I am in no way veteran/pro

Iroquois and the other NA tribes can reform-teleport their technology up to close to Europeans and unlike Aztec in 1.7.3, they have ideas. Aztec gold means jack crap before westernization BTW, because they're pagan and thus gold is worth less than grain or any other good they have. If you go Christian while westernizing, then you get full money from the gold and the income skyrockets, but tribes get tons of money too and can take Aztec as well.

Also, NA tribes can, with judicious use of subsidizing vassals to use their colonist, using 2 colonies at once, and extensive use of monarch points on non-tech, own more than the entire 13 colonies region directly or indirectly before Europe gets a serious presence. So long as you know how to game mid-war vassal deals to switch allegiances of your enemies via navigating uncolonized provinces, NA tribes can get disgusting quickly. I had the great power malus practically on contact.

NA tribes can build up carracks after reforming too, and can similarly afford them, but due to reform and the fact that it's possible to have a land FL of like 80 even after reforming, you can probably just win on land instead too.

Last edited:
1. Get good generals and build up economy

2. In my case I went quantity/aristocratic/offensive.
I did all that and immediately full annexed both Zapotec and Maya. But I am only at around 1600 in this game. I sort of gave up when I saw Castille grabbing all the land above me before I could get my third colonist.
What's "super early westernization", by the way?
The Europeans came over in 1520 and landed in South America next to a colony of mine. The colonization took ten years. I was way ahead of the plan, but I lost almost all of my military points before it was over (my ruler died and his heir was a 5/3/0). So I was way behind and am still catching up in 16 something. Admin and Diplo are ok though. My navy is actually real strong.
Jihad, rereconquista, WC (especially 3 mountains), Norwegian wood are all harder. This one isn't a pure cakewalk, but calling it luck-based is a reach.
Jihad is a cakewalk. You don't even need all of Asia and Africa, you get it right before that and you don't even need to touch a westerner. But Ryuku is ridiculous (I've only seen one person making a video for it)and Norwegian wood is almost the same as Aztec really but without the Tactics punch in the face early on.
Iroquois and the other NA tribes can reform-teleport their technology up to close to Europeans and unlike Aztec in 1.7.3, they have ideas. Aztec gold means jack crap before westernization BTW, because they're pagan and thus gold is worth less than grain or any other good they have. If you go Christian while westernizing, then you get full money from the gold and the income skyrockets, but tribes get tons of money too and can take Aztec as well.
I was going to bring that up :D
The No More Trail of Tears achievement was one of my most powerful non-European games. And so easy once you get your creek vassal.

Why do people think AOW will make sunset harder? Western Europe hasn't changed at all, but NA and meso have been massively buffed, after you unite your home continent with some 250 years, smashing some France HRE alliance will be a breeze with a half million manpower

Yeah, I see no problem in disallowing achievements if you're modded to be more powerful than what the game's designed for.
Well I did pay money and play CK2 religiously in order to use the converter for a full Ironman game, but apparently I'm just a noob for believing the DLC was anything more than a pat on the head.

Well I did pay money and play CK2 religiously in order to use the converter for a full Ironman game, but apparently I'm just a noob for believing the DLC was anything more than a pat on the head.

I'm honestly confused about what gave you the impression that you could use the converter to easily get difficult achievements. It really does seem like common sense that you wouldn't be allowed to do that, because that devalues achievements completely (and hopefully people won't take that statement as an excuse to get into a dumb, irrelevant argument about whether or not achievements have value in the first place).

I'm honestly confused about what gave you the impression that you could use the converter to easily get difficult achievements. It really does seem like common sense that you wouldn't be allowed to do that, because that devalues achievements completely (and hopefully people won't take that statement as an excuse to get into a dumb, irrelevant argument about whether or not achievements have value in the first place).

Value in this case is self-assigned. They have no "intrinsic" value that anybody has bothered to measure here, because to players how others perceive achievements is shaky as carrying meaning.

That said, it makes sense that things that are intended to be difficult to do by design block stuff that makes it possible to have achieved them before even starting the game, or at least trivialize it. We define achievement ourselves, but the developers define which ones the game shows an icon for doing.