• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rognvaldr19

Lt. General
82 Badges
Jul 16, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
Wow... Am I right? This is why decadence needs to be a drawback, they are invincible blobs without it, anyone here actually managed to stop the tide that is Islam from conquering Byzantium (reminds me of when the game was first released :D) and Aquitaine?

I find that the Abbasid Empire (and to a lesser extent, the Umayads) seems to be a touch too successful in my playthroughs. I'm not too familiar with the sunni-shia split, but it seems that shia never seems to get off the ground in my game and this might also cause a more stable supper blob in the Abbasids.

Aquitaine and Anatolia seem to be railroaded into muslim hands in my case, especialy Anatolia. If the Abbasids gain Anatolia this early, it pretty much spells muslim dominance for the remainder of the game.

I don't know, Byzantium has been carving up the Abbassids in my 2.2.0.1 old gods start. Aleppo has just been taken and the abbassids are finally starting to rack up some decadence from their losses, and they lost Antioch to other muslims(can't tell if a vassal declared independance or something else, i'm norman all the way in europe so i only check periodically out of curiosity.). I'll need to keep playing to see if they eventually collapse, but while i don't think they're OP, they certainly seem to be more stable than they should be.

On the flip side, byzantium has been having rebellions almost constantly. Which is surprising that the Emperor has managed to pull off territorial gains. This is with a Viceroy-free Byzantium too since i don't have the CM DLC yet, which means none of the AI can use VR either. AI has done good by byzantium in my current playthrough

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329957163

My current Ironman Zunbil Empire of the Sun attempt. Abbasids aren't really a problem anymore. Basically what happened was several religious uprisings occurred simultaneously, which I guess divided the at the time dwarf ruler of the Abbasid Empire's forces significantly. He stopped conquering new land and his decadence started going up by 2-3% a month. His successor valiantly attempted to reverse the now 85% decadence when he came into power but it kept going to 100%, coasted at that for 3-4 years and then the decadence revolt occurred with the Byzantines invading north, shattering the realm.

Got them to not target me by having a very very nice diplomat several generations in a row who maintained exceedingly positive relations with the Abbasids until their collapse. Everything west is independent Islamic duchies or kingdoms, with the Kingdom of Hispania now actually being a more formidable threat than the Arabian Empire. It can happen people, but might take a century :D

I've only played two games for any length of time since CM came out so bear in mind I'm working with a small sample size, but in both the Ummayads basically disintegrated and the Abbasids are a super stable slowly growing leviathan.
Game one was as an Irish tribal count in the CM bookmark, Ummayads basically knocked out Asturias and then started to fall apart, most of Hispania is still Muslim but there's a number of one or two province catholic counts thanks to religious uprisings. In my other game as Navarre in ToG start the Ummayads split into two branches, one controlling the core of Hispania and the other controlling most of the iberian coasts as well as taking mauretainia. Thanks to the split and alliances with the karlings I've managed to basically drive the Muslims out of Iberia before 1000. However this was with A LOT of mercs (I'm talking compulsively stealing from the Jews and asking the Pope for money every chance I got with both my chaplain and chancellor improving relations in Rome) so I'm not certain the Ummayads wouldn't have ranged in Gaul without my active interference. The Abbasids though, they're unstoppable. That haven't been terribly aggressive in either game they just grab a county here and a duchy there but they keep doing it and they're HUGE. Both games they've got more than twice as many troops as the next largest realm and seem pretty unstoppable.

I've been watching the decadence of the abbasids and I've never seen them crack even 1%, but i'll scratch that up to the current bug in the non-beta patch, but I beleive that this bug in itself is a red herring trying to pull attention away from how large empires overall are too stable.

In my current Beta game, Dependence has been effective in Shattering the Abbasids.
The Ummayads took the Aquitaine, then lost it to a crusade. They have been since other thrown, but their successors still hold all Hispania

Abbasids are usually pretty passive in my games, but Umayyads form the Spanish empire most of the time.

Is it because they're using the Ash'ari school? I always use Mu'tazilah on the occasion I play as a Sunni and I've still managed to get a bit decadent in 2.1.6.

Is it because they're using the Ash'ari school? I always use Mu'tazilah on the occasion I play as a Sunni and I've still managed to get a bit decadent in 2.1.6.

What's the point of Mu'tazila anyway? 5 learning is pretty useless compared to the piety bonus given by Ash'ari, especially considering the importance of piety to Muslims.

What's the point of Mu'tazila anyway? 5 learning is pretty useless compared to the piety bonus given by Ash'ari, especially considering the importance of piety to Muslims.

It also gives you increased tech points, but I choose the school purely for what it represents more than it's gameplay mechanics. Mu'tazilah was the best path to out-teching your rivals before the addition of Buddhism.

I'm currently playing a game as Africa (CM start); Abbasids control pretty much the full Arabian and Persian Empires as well as Abyssinia. I'm hoping for the Seljuks to somehow beat them up so I can finally declare independence... Meanwhile, Umayyads in my games usually manage to invade Aquitaine or at least holy war Tolouse, triggering the crusades extremely early and being destroyed in the process.

I'm currently playing a game as Africa (CM start); Abbasids control pretty much the full Arabian and Persian Empires as well as Abyssinia. I'm hoping for the Seljuks to somehow beat them up so I can finally declare independence... Meanwhile, Umayyads in my games usually manage to invade Aquitaine or at least holy war Tolouse, triggering the crusades extremely early and being destroyed in the process.

I don't know about others, but I personally don't see the problem in being someone else's vassal. You can expand within the liege's borders, gain power and all this sort of stuff, be protected against other blobs. It's really cool.

I usually see the Abbasid blob of doom go nuts, but the Ummayad are a bit more variable. Occasionally they invade France, other times France invades them.

My current game is just weird though. Ummayads became Catholic, Karloman killed his brother and the realm descended into utter fractured chaos and the Abbasids broke into a ton of different realms with constant rebellions. It's fun seeing chaos happen for once, makes my Viking raiders job much easier.

I don't know about others, but I personally don't see the problem in being someone else's vassal. You can expand within the liege's borders, gain power and all this sort of stuff, be protected against other blobs. It's really cool.

AI lieges sometimes go berserk on you. Their protection is also iffy at times.

Being someone else's vassal is fun until medium crown authority.