• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm not sure if any start as Muslim, but turning Muslim is one of the best ways to play tribals: Elective Gavelkind gets replaced with Open Succession, and suddenly you've got Holy War casus belli on all your old neighbors. No more losing your capital to an 8th son who was able to create a non-existing kingdom with .14 piety, 0 gold and -23 prestige, more time and effort devoted to building up your republic-to-be.

If not, just take a tribal pagan and convert to Islam, then change to a merchant republic.

This. There are 2 Shia counts and 1 Ibadi count, all 3 with two counties each IIRC, in de Jure Duchy of Marrakech. Or you can always just grab a concubine and convert.

That and the more wives = more kids = more trading posts

But I'd suggest not bothering for a while because CM tribal->merchant republic is hideously glitched, CTDs as soon as you try it or, if you have 2.2.01, no patrician families

Thanks all, I found 1 muslim tribal count: Tamdoult. For the strategy to start as non Muslim tribal and become Muslim might Scothland, Magyars or Khazaria be good options. All in 867 start.

That and the more wives = more kids = more trading posts

But I'd suggest not bothering for a while because CM tribal->merchant republic is hideously glitched, CTDs as soon as you try it or, if you have 2.2.01, no patrician families

Well the only time i tried was in 2.2.0.1 and got no CTD and patrician families spawned. The only problem was that a family member was chosen as a patrician. So now in 5 patrician families, 2 are of the same dynasty.

In Arabia itself only Nefoud is tribal, and that's a landlocked duchy. In Mauretania you have IIRC most of Fes, the southernmost county (Infa, I think) of Tangiers, all of Marrakech and Mali as tribal. That would make your only option to go from tribal to republic as a Muslim Marrakech or Tangiers with Infa as capital.
Alternatively there is some tribal area around the black sea. You can start as Pagan and then convert.

Norse Republic is probably the best. You get access to raiding, republic gives more ships = more loot, concubines means going crazy with creating a massive family for fun, money, retinues..

What about the Persian coast then? I'm trying to find a way to create a Buddhist Republic.

Can tribal Christians take concubines and convert via pillow talk? I could start in tribal Abyssinia, go sack the Buddhist coast by boat and take a Buddhist concubine.

If this doesn't work I guess I could do it with the Norse too... Start in 867, reform, reach Egypt through successive prepared Invasions, put some boats in the Indian Ocean and go raid the Buddhists.

Last edited:
What about the Persian coast then? I'm trying to find a way to create a Buddhist Republic.

Can tribal Christians take concubines and convert via pillow talk? I could start in tribal Abyssinia, go sack the Buddhist coast by boat and take a Buddhist concubine.

If this doesn't work I guess I could do it with the Norse too... Start in 867, reform, reach Egypt through successive prepared Invasions, put some boats in the Indian Ocean and go raid the Buddhists.

Only Pagans can convert to spouse's or concubine's religion, sorry. And only the interior of Abyssinia is tribal, the coastline is all feudal, sorry again. So is the entire Persian coast by the way.

If you go Norse you'll have to remember to keep your capital in tribal Europe if you want to become a republic.

It wasn't easy because many tribal nations start in a rather insecure location, but I did succeed in becoming Muslim as ostlanded. I Raided the Muslim part of Sicily while it was weakened by a war with Byzantium. I got several concubines, one with good stats who converted my to the Muslims faith. Now has the time come for the great Northern Jihad! With the riches I gain shall I upgrade my capital it's merchant village and become a glorious Muslim merchant republic(or die trying). Shall I gain additional decadence as Merchant republic or isn't this modeled?

Bummer.

Anyway here's the plan:

I'll start in Sweden and as soon as the Viking Age begins I'll invade Khazaria or Hungary, carve myself a Norse kingdom in that area and move my capital to Crimea. From there I should be able to reach either Egypt or a Muslim nation with holdings in the Persian coast via the navigable rivers. Then all I have to do is raid Lanka or Bengal until persuade a nice Buddhist gal to come back with me. Then I'll create my Norse Buddhist republic of Crimea, educate all my heirs in Learning, spam Universities and see how long it takes for me to outshine everyone in tech while I try to de jure drift the entire Black Sea coast into my realm.

Sounds like a fun playthrough.

Last edited:
Bummer.

Anyway here's the plan:

I'll start in Sweden and as soon as the Viking Age begins I'll invade Khazaria or Hungary, carve myself a Norse kingdom in that area and move my capital to Crimea. From there I should be able to reach either Egypt or a Muslim nation with holdings in the Persian coast via the navigable rivers. Then all I have to do is raid Lanka or Bengal until persuade a nice Buddhist gal to come back with me. Then I'll create my Norse Buddhist republic of Crimea, educate all my heirs in Learning, spam Universities and see how long it takes for me to outshine everyone in tech while I try to de jure drift the entire Black Sea coast into my realm.

Sounds like a fun playthrough.

That it does, and best of luck to you.