• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

StanislavSoltys

President of the Californio Republic
58 Badges
Jun 25, 2012
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
267_nakleyka-.png

The Coat of Arms of the Kingdom of Ukraine.

I welcome you to my first ever AAR that I plan to actually continue. As I'm Ukrainian, I decided to do it as Ukraine. For this AAR I'm using the Pops Demand Mod for a Heart of Darkness. I modded it only to make Louisiana independent from the USA, as though 1803 never happened, otherwise not much has changed. I'm also making most nations releasable by Austria and Russia in Europe independent at game start to make a more interesting story.

I'll be trying to get Ukraine to greatness, and at least to 5th great power status. I've done this before and I loved playing as Ukraine, so I hope to have just as much fun with this AAR. I won't be conquering most of Africa as I feel that's very unrealistic and ugly, and instead will conquer the parts I feel are the juiciest. I'll be including some inspirations from metalinvader665's Spain AAR and The B's Greater Germany AAR.

As usual, I won't be reloading or cheating unless it's for logical reasons or to make events in the game more realistic. Forgive me if I made some errors in story-writing, as I don't feel I'm very good at that and for anything else offending or bugging you, which I hope doesn't happen. Otherwise I hope you enjoy this AAR.

Table of Contents

Last edited:
Prologue

Kievan_Rus_en.jpg

The Kievan Rus' as it was in the 11th century.

The history of Ukraine could perhaps be indroduced by the Kievan Rus', a powerful state in eastern Europe during the middle ages. The Kievan Rus' was founded by the Varangians, who came to the area of Novgorod and Ladoga from Scandinavia. They eventually moved south to the area of Kiev, which became the most important city in the Kievan Rus'. The state thrived, but soon fragmented into rivaling states, and when the Mongols invaded the Kievan Rus', Kiev and the Rus' were ruined. Soon, some surviving states became dominated and controlled by the Kingdom of Poland, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and eventually the Crimean Khanate. After the 1569 Union of Lublin, the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania merged to become the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Meanwhile, one of the more powerful states of the former Rus', the Grand Duchy of Muscovy, soon conquered the rest of the Rus' states, and in 1547, Ivan IV of Moscuvy declared the formation of the Tsardom of Russia, which he considered the successor of the Kievan Rus'.

Bohdan_Khmelnytsky.jpg

Bohdan Khmelnysky, father of the Ukrainian identity.

In 1648, Bohdan Khmelnytsky founded the Cossack Hetmanate and led an uprising against the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. This led to a period of time known as "The Ruin", a 30-year war between Russia, Poland, the Turks and the Cossacks for control of Ukraine. Eventually Ukraine came under the control of Russia, with western Ukraine annexed during the Polish Partitions and southern Ukraine coming under Russian control during the annexations of the Crimean Khanate. Meanwhile, another region of western Ukraine, Galicia, was ruled by the Austrian Empire after the Polish Partitions.

Zaleski_Capture_of_the_Arsenal_in_Warsaw.jpg

The taking of the Warsaw arsenel.

This brings us to the start of the modern-era of Ukrainian independence, the 1830 Uprisings. The Uprisings began in November, when a Polish cadet attacked the Belweder Palace, the main seat of the Grand Duke Constantine Pavlovich, the de facto viceroy of Poland. This sparked a Polish uprising against the Russian government which eventually saw the Ukrainians, Belarussians, Lithuanians, Latvians, Estonians and many minorities in the newly-conquered Russian territories of the Caucasus also raising arms against the Russians. The Russian government and army simply could not fight against the mass of uprisings in its eastern territories. The chaos soon spread to the Austrian Empire, when Ukrainians in Russia convinced the Ukrainians and Hungarians in Austria to rebel against the Austrian government, soon joined by other minorities in Austria. These uprisings succeeded, except in the cases of Slovenia and Bohemia, where the Germans in the area were able to defeat the rebels.

Kirill_Razumovsky_Tokke.jpg

King Pavlo Donchyshyn after his ascension to rulership of the newly-created Kingdom of Ukraine.

As the uprisings succeeded, many of the minorities began appointing leaders, who declared independence for themselves. The Ukrainians declared Pavlo Donchyshyn, a serf from western Ukraine who led the Ukrainians in the uprisings, to become the new monarch of the newly-created Kingdom of Ukraine.

Congress_of_Vienna.PNG

The Second Congress of Vienna was coincidentally quite similar to the first one.

In 1835, the great powers of Europe gathered during the Second Congress of Vienna to discuss the return of peace in eastern Europe. The great powers decided to allow the newly-created states to maintain independence, but the Russian and Austrian Empires were allowed to continue having influence in eastern Europe, and the Ukrainians were to be divided into three separate states, the Kingdom of Ukraine, the Kingdom of Ruthenia, and the Don Cossack Hetmanate. This was to ensure that the Ukrainian state didn't become too strong.

6d4b37fa47.png

Map of Europe in 1836 according to the popular strategy game, Victoria 2.

In the current year of 1836, the newly-independence states enjoy sovereignty, but the lands formerly part of the Austrian Empire are threatened by the Austrian Empire, who still has a considerable larger army than the new states. Meanwhile, the newly created former Russian states are enjoying independence free from worry of a Russian attack, who suffered a crisis after the assassination of Nicholas I, who ruled Russia during the Uprisings of 1830.

________________________________________________________________________________​

Currently, Ukraine is no different than it was under the control of the Russian Empire; literacy is extremely low, the administration is inefficient, and the country's economy is dominated by agriculture, and industry is virtually nonexistant. Its army was in shambles and had no navy to speak of. The minorities ironically included in the newly created state could cause potential problems.

da40fcd8b9.png

On January 1st of 1836, the Kingdom of Ruthenia petitioned for annexation into the Kingdom of Ukraine. The Ruthenians feared that the Austrians would invade and subjugate them. However, they hoped that uniting with Ukraine would deterr Austria from doing so. The nationalist sentiment in Ruthenia also made it reasonable to unite with Ukraine. This is where we start our AAR.

Sorry for such an unrealistic reason for Ukraine's independence, it's clear the powers of Europe wouldn't accept such a fate. Also, sorry for a short first update, Puush is down. :\ Also sorry to anyone who saw this post before I finished editing the many mistakes I made on this post.

Thanks for the shoutout in the intro!:cool:

The fragmented Eastern Europe is going to change the dynamics of this game big time. I'm expecting Italy to be very strong this game, and the Turks will have it easier than they usually do. Why is Finland under Russia's control, by the way, when in PDM they start as a Russian puppet?

If I recall the POP setup, with Ruthenia inherited you already have the majority of the Ukrainians under your control aside from the Ukrainians in the Cossack Hetmanate. Are the breakaway states in Russia's sphere, or will you be able to take out the Cossack Hetmanate early on?

Why isn't Finland independent? Perkele...

Thanks for the shoutout in the intro!:cool:

The fragmented Eastern Europe is going to change the dynamics of this game big time. I'm expecting Italy to be very strong this game, and the Turks will have it easier than they usually do. Why is Finland under Russia's control, by the way, when in PDM they start as a Russian puppet?

If I recall the POP setup, with Ruthenia inherited you already have the majority of the Ukrainians under your control aside from the Ukrainians in the Cossack Hetmanate. Are the breakaway states in Russia's sphere, or will you be able to take out the Cossack Hetmanate early on?

In my experience, the game dynamics were relatively unchanged after the early stages of the game. Austria's able to reconquer the lost lands, Italy formed almost immediately, but they weren't that strong, and Russia simply stayed content with its own land, but IIRC in one of my games with this setup, they did take some extra Chinese lands in Manchuria. I forgot to mention that I modded Finland to be under Russian control because I felt that being a communist Soviet Union didn't make sense with a puppet that still had a monarch. The Ukrainians are indeed mostly under Ukrainian control now, but the Cossack Hetmanate still does have a sizable Ukrainian population, which isn't, along with the rest of the breakaway states, under Russia's sphere, and likely won't be based on my experience. When Ukraine's war policy is jingoist and is a great power, they get a decision to form "Greater Ukraine" which gives it cores on much of Galicia-Lodomeria, the entire Cossack Hetmanate, and two Russian provinces, so those will be conquered when I enact the decision, which should be soon.

Why isn't Finland independent? Perkele...

See above. Although I guess it would be logical that Russia would try to hold on to Finland and incorporate them into the Russian crown to try to make sure they don't rebel as well.

Last edited:
West Galicia and Krakow independent from Poland?

My poor Austria. :sad:

Following with delight!

Austria should be able to regain much of its land. ;)

West Galicia and Krakow independent from Poland?

Ah, yes, never quite noticed that.

Sorry guys for the long interruption, lack of ideas and time has really delayed a new update, which will come soon.

I think this is a great idea for an AAR- I think I've never seen a Ukrainian AAR before (in Victoria).

But somehow I can't imagine Poland (back then) allowing Ukraine to integrate East Galicia. And Russia not trying to reintegrate some of its territories. So I think, my friend, that tough times are before you.

I can't say the quote you have in your signature for family reasons, but well.. Good luck in you AAR ;). I'll surely be following.

I think this is a great idea for an AAR- I think I've never seen a Ukrainian AAR before (in Victoria).

But somehow I can't imagine Poland (back then) allowing Ukraine to integrate East Galicia. And Russia not trying to reintegrate some of its territories. So I think, my friend, that tough times are before you.

I can't say the quote you have in your signature for family reasons, but well.. Good luck in you AAR ;). I'll surely be following.

Thank you for your input, I feel the same way you do. ;)

Last edited:
1836 – The Rise of a New Ukraine

a5c45c377c.png

The administration and literacy of Ukraine in the beginning of 1836 was extremely poor.

The start of 1836 was marked by Pavlo I's strong emphasis on the military, administration, and education of Ukraine, which had an unorganized military and a poor literacy of just 9.3%, much lower than the western European powers.

f03d7d6489.png

The lands Lithuania has claims on. Lithuania later lost the war, an extremely humiliating blow to the Lithuanian identity.

6377dfb80f.png

Ukraine defending minority independence? Blasphemy!

On January 2nd, 1836, Lithuania declared war on Belarus to "protect the Lithuanian majority in the northwest region of Belarus and ensure the safety of the Lithuanian people". Ukraine condemned these actions, perhaps because a Lithuanian victory would give other minorities hope and justification to rebel against Ukraine, which fell under Ukrainian control.

6e1473416e.png

Crowds of Ukrainians celebrating the birth of Ukraine. Happy 2nd birthday, Ukraine!

008e0c25a6.png

Pavlo I was clearly not good at choosing Prime Ministers. At least he'll make factories produce more!

On February 5th, the Ukrainian people celebrated the Independence of Ukraine, which was officially adopted in 1834. To celebrate, Pavlo I appointed a new Prime Minister, who was an industrialist. Pavlo I also started funding and constructing various factories in Ukraine to promote industrialization and to convince farmers to move into cities and work in these factories.

Suceava_early_19th_century.jpeg

Who wouldn't want this city under their control?

On May 17th, with a newly organized army, Pavlo I declared war on Bukovina, which was considered to be an integral part of Ukraine. After a short seige, Suceava surrendered on July 3rd.

7469e8a756.png

Russia attempts to look powerful by allying itself with Ukraine. It's sad, really.

0f5f115d78.png

Of course I wouldn't lie about the Galicians!

On August 13th, Russia controversially offered a military alliance with Ukraine. Pavlo I accepted, although he knew he'd have to break it at a later time. A border scirmish between Galician and Ukrainian soldiers also happened, just outside of Przemysl, although many believe it was staged by the Ukrainian government. Pavlo I declared war later that day.

On November 11th, the Galician government surrendered, and Galicia-Lodomeria, a former Austrian province, found itself entirely under Ukrainian control. Many found this to be hypocritical of Ukraine, who promoted the independence of minorities, but with western Europe concerned with its own colonial wars, no major powers protested.

752d8abd0a.png

Thus ends the 1836th year of our Lord in Ukraine.​

Last edited:
Hyper-Ukraine has strange borders, which I can only imagine will get stranger the more land you take.

Now that you've taken so much land, what's the ethnic composition of your Ukraine like?

Hyper-Ukraine has strange borders, which I can only imagine will get stranger the more land you take.

Now that you've taken so much land, what's the ethnic composition of your Ukraine like?

To be honest, Ukraine really is OP if you make it independent, even if you let Russia and Austria remain intact. I guess it's just that Ukraine has mainly pops of its primary culture (if you have modern Ukrainian borders, within the Russian Empire at the time) and the many resources and pops.

Very cool, always love Ukraine in these games.

'Bout time Ukraine got a Victoria 2 AAR. :D

To be honest, Ukraine really is OP if you make it independent, even if you let Russia and Austria remain intact. I guess it's just that Ukraine has mainly pops of its primary culture (if you have modern Ukrainian borders, within the Russian Empire at the time) and the many resources and pops.

'Bout time Ukraine got a Victoria 2 AAR. :D
Ukraine has all you need for industrialization.

Ukraine has massive potential as does this AAR.

It would be embarrassing if you didn't become #1 GP

It can be done. I've done it before, but I was more lenient of conquering European states.

The End of the 1830's​

a09ed2996e.jpg

The administration efficiency in Ukraine in 1838.

Pavlo I's efforts to improve the administration of the Kingdom of Ukraine was very much improved by 1838. This improved the efficiency of tax collection in Ukraine, and gave the Ukrainian economy necessary funds to continue improving.

March15.jpg

King of Hungary, István Széchenyi, raising the morale of the Hungarian people.

In January of 1838, Ukrainian and Hungarian fears of Austrian revenge on the newly independent nations proved to come true when Austrian soldiers fired upon Hungarian border guards, and, consequently, Austria invaded Hungary, backed by its South German allies. The Hungarian people were outraged, and, supported by funds from the Kingdom of Ukraine, Hungarian soldiers attacked the Austrian soldiers.

b0fb015b41.jpg

Situation of the war in February.

The war initially was successful on Hungary's side, when Vienna and several border cities fell under Hungarian control. The Austrian army also suffered several defeats to Hungarian troops. On February 3rd, Polish troops also attacked Ukrainian border guards, but just as with Galicia, these attacks were suspicious, but, with Western focus on the Austro-Hungarian War, Ukraine's attack on Poland was largely ignored.

703ea2e61f.jpg

The results of the Ukrainian-Polish War of 1838 and the situation in Hungary.

As Ukraine attacked Poland, Belarus launched its own attack for the liberation of Belarussian people in Bialystok. Backed by Russia, Ukraine was able to defeat Poland, and on June 28th, 1838, Poland surrendered and ceded West Galicia to Ukraine and Bialystok to Belarus.

Meanwhile, in Hungary, the hordes of South German troops quickly invaded Hungary faster than Hungary could save itself, even though it managed to win most battles in the war.

41b6fd8b9c.jpg

The situation in Italy immediately after unification, and the results of the Austro-Hungarian War.

On December 16th, 1838, the Sardinia-Piedmontian monarchy held enough power to unite the lands of the Italian peninsula, declaring a Kingdom of Italy. This was mostly done through the use of pro-Italian rebellions throughout the peninsula. While most countries in Italy fell under the control of Italy, some countries such as the Papal States and Tuscany, who was under the protection of Austria, still wrestled with pro-Italian rebellions.

9998630509.jpg

The situation in east-central Europe at the end of 1839.

bec22c42bc.jpg

The ethnic situation in Ukraine in 1839.

By February 16. Hungary surrendered to Austria, and was fortunate enough to have at least fought hard enough to only have the Banat Republic "liberated" by Austria. Action wouldn't be seen again until October 14th, when Italy invaded Tuscany - who was protected by Austria. This triggered the Austro-Italian War of 1838.

The 1830's saw the rise of Ukraine to the secondary ranks of the world powers. Not only did the Kingdom of Ukraine's government improved, but it also expanded. The economy of Ukraine greatly improved, and its literacy continues to gradually rise. With such a successful first decade, who knows what the next years will bring to Ukraine?

_________________________________________________​

Thanks guys for waiting, I didn't update due to poor management of time.

Last edited:
Those Italian borders are a mess. Who's the minor in the blue in the north of Italy?

Your Ukraine borders are very nice, just complete the fourth partition of Poland by annexing Krakiv! Hyper-Ukraine must be made more hyper!