• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vourtigaunt

Second Lieutenant
59 Badges
Dec 26, 2013
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Hi, so I'm not sure if anyone suggested this, though someone probably has, but it would be awesome if Gavelkind could be a more player-driven succession law. Meaning that once your character dies, you enter a screen mode where you have to click on the titles/provinces you wish to pass on to a specific heir. I know this could make Gavelkind potentially overpowered, but this could be somewhat mitigated by putting in a weighted system, where your choices are evaluated and judged fair or unfair. If it's unfair it could either be impossible to do, or receive maluses of some kind (like granting the other heirs primary claims on your title, or having an "unjust succession" modifier for every vassal of yours, or even causing a succession crisis where your vassals pick their favourite heir to displace the primary one)
Sometimes the NPC assignment is just ... suboptimal. In my current game as emperor of the HRE (having united it as Charlemagne and actually kept it together properly), my primary heir gets exactly two things: a province (one I'd swear I didn't even own) and the empire. My second heir gets an entire kingdom with everything in it (same for any other heir after that). Considering that rulers usually drew up plans of how to divide their realms BEFORE their death, it would seem somewhat unlogical to me that they'd divide it this...absurdly.

Just a suggestion though, since I can deal with the current system (though I wish I didn't have to). It just requires a lot of killing the second heir, so the primary heir actually gets a functioning demesne.

Edit:
Okay, I just saw a thread where basically the same thing was advocated by a user named ranbir, making this thread somewhat superfluous. Sorry about that. :p

Last edited: