• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LatinKaiser

Je me souviens des jours anciens et je pleure
61 Badges
Mar 29, 2014
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
scribe.jpg

In an abbey in western Mercia, a lone candle illuminated the abbot's house. In it, a man with a bald head and graying beard wrote an entry in a large chronicle.

Unum Ianuarius Anno Domini DCCLXIX

The mighty King Offa of Mercia has this day promulgated that Almighty God sent him a vision in which his great Kingdom extended to the ends of the land, from tall snow-capped mountains to lush fields and valleys. To glorify God and thank Him for this divine blessing, the King presented this abbey with a silver chalice. New taxes have also been announced, for the King wishes to raise a greater retinue in order to bring about God's will.

The man, named Credan, was the abbot of Eveshomme Abbey. It was his duty to record for posterity all events of note during his lifetime, and he approached his duty with the seriousness which was expected of a man of God. Although he had aged considerably since first becoming abbot, his health was as good as ever, and he still retained the energy of his youth. When he was young, he had traveled to Rome, and he had been awed by its beauty. Although the centuries had diminished the glory of the once formidable city, it was still far more magnificent than even the grandest of Mercian castles. Rome was a city of stone and marble; Mercia was a land of wood and earth. No matter how extravagant Mercian kings made their halls, those halls would not last; they would not endure. Abbot Credan didn't let this melancholic thought dampen his mood, though. He could sense that something was going to happen, something that may very well change Mercia as he knew it. King Offa of Mercia was an ambitious king, and, though he had already extended his power beyond the River Temes, there was still land to be conquered. The King of Cent, Ecgberht, had thrown off Mercian suzerainity four years ago in 765, and Offa had been intent on reasserting his authority over Cent ever since. To the southwest, the small Kingdom of Hwicce was a constant thorn in Offa's side. Too small to openly oppose him, the Kingdom aligned itself with Wessex, a kingdom to the south of Mercia. Mercia and Wessex did not always have a particularly amicable relationship in the past, but King Offa was reported to be seeking an alliance with King Cynewulf of Wessex. As Abbot Credan blew out his candle and prepared to sleep for the night, he thought of all these political maneuverings and wondered what they foretold.

So here it is, my very first AAR! This will be a combination of history book and narrative, with narrative being predominant and history book reserved for covering rather uneventful chapters. Whether I will only play as King Offa or continue playing as his descendants depends on how the first few chapters turn out, both in game and in real life. Also, since I will be focusing on narrative and story (and because I am an incompetent noob) there will be no screenshots, at least initially. Please, feel free to comment on this, for if demand is high, I may actually put in the effort of uploading and editing, but I do want to keep this AAR as historically accurate and immersive as possible. The first chapter will hopefully be up either tomorrow or next Saturday, for I have yet to actually play and take notes on the game -- I figured that a prologue would set the stage and force me to commit.

Last edited:
If you're yet to play, then there's still time for you to take screenshots – if you catch my drift. ;)

Aside from that, I'm liking the prologue a lot. It will be interesting to see hoe your first endeavours turn out. Good luck to you! :)

Don't do something if you aren't going to put some effort into it, as the saying goes. Since this is your first AAR, just have fun and don't worry too much about the specifics. You'll figure out what style you like along the way.

And yea, take some shots if it's not going to be pure narrative. Otherwise it can get a bit confusing to read.

If you're yet to play, then there's still time for you to take screenshots – if you catch my drift. ;)

Aside from that, I'm liking the prologue a lot. It will be interesting to see hoe your first endeavours turn out. Good luck to you! :)
I think I'll try narrative at first (I really enjoyed writing the prologue), but if I need to do History Book, then I'll use a few screenshots.

Don't do something if you aren't going to put some effort into it, as the saying goes. Since this is your first AAR, just have fun and don't worry too much about the specifics. You'll figure out what style you like along the way.

And yea, take some shots if it's not going to be pure narrative. Otherwise it can get a bit confusing to read.
Yeah, I'll try just narrative at the beginning, since that seems like the most immersive. However, I am open to change if that doesn't turn out well. :)

That pun in the title is absolutely horrid. I approve ;)

Consider me to be another follower. Eagerly awaiting the first chapter!
Well, you know what they say about puns: they're the lowest form of comedy. :p Thanks for your interest (after all, an AAR without readers is just the narcissistic ramblings of a lunatic :D)!

Offa with your offa-ly bad Offa puns!
Eagerly awaiting this AAR, LK. :)

Offa with your offa-ly bad Offa puns!
Eagerly awaiting this AAR, LK. :)

Offa with your offa-ly offa-l puns!
FTFY

One question: how long before you get screenshots in game? And soon we shall see if Mercia can hold off the viking age and establish itself as the great house of England.