• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Farflamex

Second Lieutenant
66 Badges
May 11, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Knights of Honor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Island Bound
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines
It says when you disband a brigade that the remaining troops will go to 'the pool', but I can't work out what actually happens. They certainly don't seem to go back to their home province. For example, I just had 2000 irregulars from Buenos Aires, which only had 300 soldier pops left. After disbanding, it still only has 300 soldier pops. So where did the 2000 men in the brigade go?

It says when you disband a brigade that the remaining troops will go to 'the pool', but I can't work out what actually happens. They certainly don't seem to go back to their home province. For example, I just had 2000 irregulars from Buenos Aires, which only had 300 soldier pops left. After disbanding, it still only has 300 soldier pops. So where did the 2000 men in the brigade go?

They either died or moved somewhere else before you disbanded the brigade. That's why you only had so few soldiers left in the brigade. Disbanding brigades have no effect on pops.

Is this explained in more detail somewhere? The numbers in the brigades and the pops don't seem to be related. In the above example, there are 2000 soldiers in the brigade and 300 in the pop. Are these the same people, or are the 2000 in the brigade and the 300 are back in the city, waiting to reinforce? If the numbers in the brigades are the same as the numbers in the pops, then those 2000 must have relocated to a difference province I guess? Seems like a lot, especially since the war was only a couple of months long.

I've seen lots of tutorials and videos, but the issue of where soldiers 'exist' at any point in time doesn't seem to be covered.

Oh right, that's a bit wierd. So the 3000 that go into the originally built brigade don't even exist when the brigade is built, and therefore disappear when it's disbanded? Strange, but it does at least fit what happened.

Oh right, that's a bit wierd. So the 3000 that go into the originally built brigade don't even exist when the brigade is built, and therefore disappear when it's disbanded? Strange, but it does at least fit what happened.

They exist. They are soldier pops. Just because you put them in a brigade doesn't mean they immediately die. Thinks of it as reserves vs. active duty. When the brigade takes damage, it naturally affects the pops.

I think I get it, they exist as both soldiers and as pops. So if some die in battle, the pop number will also decline. But then I don't understand how I still have 2000 in the brigade but only 300 left in the pop.

I think I get it, they exist as both soldiers and as pops. So if some die in battle, the pop number will also decline. But then I don't understand how I still have 2000 in the brigade but only 300 left in the pop.

To stop the brigades vanishing if you lose some pops. It would be micro management nightmare. If the pops becomes to small, reinforcements get much slower.

They probably moved somewhere else during the time when your brigade was serving on active duty, or they simply left the military and turned into some other POP, like bureaucrats or farmers. POPs never disappear when a brigade is recruited, they only lose men when the brigade loses men in combat/attrition. They turn to other jobs if they aren't making enough money in the army, or are capable of getting better jobs in the government and such.

Just a note - Brigades consist of 3000 men, not 2,000. That applies for every kind of brigade. :)

When there are too few soldiers left to reinforce the brigade, like in your case, the brigades replenish extremely slowly (sometimes stopping to reinforce altogether). If you still have the brigade, try to check it's colour in the army view, it must've turned red. In time, slowly the new soldiers as they join up will be sent to reinforce the brigade until it is back to full strength.

The national focus for soldiers always helps for getting new recruits quick.