• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General Karthos

General
62 Badges
Aug 24, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
Apologies if this has been answered before, but do you have to adopt Imperial Administration in order to become an Empire?

I feel like that would be a nice compromise between the people who like ahistorical Empires and the people who are offended by anything ahistorical being in their game. This way you have to actually work hard to found an Empire other than the ERE or the HRE (and work hard to found the HRE as well if you're in a pre HRE timeline) as it takes a bundle of tech and stuff.

I don't know.... I like ahistorical Empires, but I always found the essential "level-up" mechanics to become an Emperor were a little too easy.

Oh, and I'm sure that anyone with a strong opinion one way or the other will hate this compromise, which is the mark of a good compromise.

As far as I understand it, it is the other way around, you have to be an empire to adopt "imperial Administration"

As far as I understand it, it is the other way around, you have to be an empire to adopt "imperial Administration"

In EU3, you could become an Empire once you decided to "Adopt Imperial Administration". (After you hit 30 provinces and a few other requirements; I can't really recall.) But you weren't an Empire until you adopted Imperial Administration. That's why I asked.

Government types in EU and title tiers in CK are different beasts. There are already requirements to form empires, and it's possible to require certain laws (centralization, crown authority, whatever) before titles can be formed. Imperial administration shouldn't be one of those, as it's more a perk of empire status than a prerequisite.

Government types in EU and title tiers in CK are different beasts. There are already requirements to form empires, and it's possible to require certain laws (centralization, crown authority, whatever) before titles can be formed. Imperial administration shouldn't be one of those, as it's more a perk of empire status than a prerequisite.

You're right, though TBH having (almost) every monarch referred to as king in vanilla EU still doesn't feel right to me. Sure the tier system in CK is rather simplified and some realms in certain periods might benefit from more tiers, but over all it is modelled descent enough (considering timespan and regional differences).
Furthermore tier still mattered in the EU period, hence the importance of Prussia for Brandenburg and Sardinia (initially Sicily) for Savoy, but I digress.

Anyway, Imperial Admistration can be a perk for an Empire, when they meet certain criteria, some Empires might never achieve those either.

I'm only suggesting, not demanding. If I'm off-base, shoot me down. If I'm not off-base, back me up. It WOULD make it harder to form an ahistorical empire....

But this would mean all empires would be centralised... That would be strange. Especially for the HRE. ;) Imperial administration don't make any sense as requequest for the HRE.

That depends on the point in time you're talking about. For instance an HRE, which prevailed during the Investiture Controversy, might have developed differently. Still that would only be a starting point for alternate history.

Furthermore the requirements for the ERE might be lower, than those for Western European Feudal realms, but I wouldn't make it impossible.

That depends on the point in time you're talking about. For instance an HRE, which prevailed during the Investiture Controversy, might have developed differently. Still that would only be a starting point for alternate history.

Furthermore the requirements for the ERE might be lower, than those for Western European Feudal realms, but I wouldn't make it impossible.

As I said... it would be strange as requierement to form an empire. If every empire would requiere to have imperial administration (which means viceroys and free duchy revocation)... This didn't sound like a good requierement.

As I said... it would be strange as requierement to form an empire. If every empire would requiere to have imperial administration (which means viceroys and free duchy revocation)... This didn't sound like a good requierement.

No, I think we're on the same page.:) It shouldn't be a requirement, but a optional perk provided an empire meets certain criteria.

So, would the Mongols be using this viceroy system? Did they appoint governors (or whatever the correct local term would be) for the various realms they held in vassalage?

Depends on whether Mongols are tribal or not; tribal emperors cannot use viceroys.

No, I think we're on the same page.:) It shouldn't be a requirement, but a optional perk provided an empire meets certain criteria.

I think the devs have said other empires will have the ability to tech up to IA.