How much elevation change could pre-industrial or early industrial canals traverse?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

magritte2

Passive Surrealist
29 Badges
May 22, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I know that the canals were built in the ancient world and that Greek engineers were able to use canal locks, but I'm curious how deep a canal they were capable of building and what sorts of elevations they could traverse prior to the development of explosives.

The reason I'm asking is I was making a fantasy campaign using the area around the city of Vancouver as a base, and I wanted to have a canal connecting the Fraser River to False Creek and Burrard inlet. The idea is that riverboats could use it to navigate to the deep water harbor where the city is located. However, when I began looking at topographic maps, I realized I underestimated the height of the promontory that makes up the southern part of the city. It looks as if there's no way to do it without getting through a ridge that's about 75m above sea level, which seems like it might be a challenge for pre-industrial engineering. Am I going to have to handwave it with magic, make a non-existent depression in the land for them to follow or is this actually
feasible. The material they'd be going through is (I think) mostly till not bedrock, so maybe it could be done? Thoughts?

If the material it's made of is loose then I could see them excavating it far enough to make a level canal if it would be worth the effort. A type of horse drawn scraper (like modern road scrapers) existed that could pull a very small amount of soil off a long/large area in one pass. With many passes you can go quite deep with one of these. One of the little house on the prairie series books details exactly how a work gang consisting of many of these scrapers pulled by oxen made a cut ~ 30 meters deep through a hill around 500 meters long as well as many smaller ones for railroad construction. In that case excess dirt was dumped off the sides. In your case it would probably be dumped in the ocean to build up an area (for an artificial set of wharves or a breakwater perhaps? So long as the material doesn't have a lot of rocks in it his works fine.

In terms of climbing a single hill rapidly, the Caen Hill locks on the Kennet and Avon canal climb 72m in 3.2km and were completed in 1810.

The Bingley Five Rise Locks are shorter, but steeper, rising 18m in just 98m of horizontal distance, and are even earlier, having opened in 1774.

Thanks. Those are quite helpful examples so the conclusion is yes, it's feasible. Most of my experience with canals is from very flat places so I wasn't sure. Also, I found a better track for the canal farther upstream where it doesn't have quite as much of a hump to go over. It's a longer route but there's already a natural waterway much of the way so it would be easier.