• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tapewormlondon

Lt. General
115 Badges
Mar 23, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Magicka
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
I have recently had another go at learning the game, despite it having sat in my library for some years. I have all expacs and DLC.

I have just finished a game as Brazil (ended in 1905 after I reached GP status, but was invaded by USA after breeching badboy). Am now playing as Japan. My, my doesnt population make a difference!

Anyway, I *think* im starting to get some of the mechanics nailed, the only thing that still confuses me somewhat is factories and resources. I only realised in my Brazil game that you get a throughput bonus for a resource a factory needs being in the same state as the factory, I assumed it would be if you had the resource anywhere country wide.

Therefore I have carefully built factories in states with the right resources. But my question is, why does it then matter if I get coal from say Manchuria by annexing them, if i cant build factories in that state (Colonial province). What benefit does having that coal in a colonial state give my country?

Also any newby tips on factory mechanics greatly appreciated

It means you can use it for your factories requiring coal without having to buy it from the world market.

Flipping with the trade and production tabs is quite useful to see how much resources you have available in your country, or potentially, your sphere, and how much is actually being bought.

Its not always an option to correlate production to available resources in a state, but you can continue the chain, i.e furniture, luxury furniture and timber per say in one state..or glass, liquor and wine in another and so on and so forth.

Also, this thread was quite insightful I thought:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?649507-Factories-explained

Not sure about everyone else, but I tend to build up industry initially as to what the artisans are building, putting them out of business essentially. And as what resources and techs I have available, the more exotic and luxury items things.

Depending on the size of the country, I also try to atleast have 1 state taking care of military production, though I seldom focus on that as I never seem to make much money until the end of the game when everyone has massive and resource sucking armies. Liqour (if you have the wheat and possibly some coal to make glass) is always a good way to kick of industry as well I think.

It means you can use it for your factories requiring coal without having to buy it from the world market.
Not only does it mean that you get first call on that coal (rather than having to go in buying order), but there will probably be a lot more of it because of your much better industrial technology.

The main benefit of owning a certain RGO is that you get first dibs on its use and any profits from its sale. As Japan you have a sea of easy targets available to you. Korea is super rich with iron and coal RGOs and Manchuria is a good second choice. I think both of tgese lands are good candidates for outright annexation.

Oi,
since I'm newbie too, I'll ask: How to get 2000 points industrial score. In my recent game, as a Persia, I've conquered big chunk of China, Ethiopia and Vietnam. So I've Coal, Rubber, Iron, Sulfur, etc. Of course Persia is Great Power. So...what next? What factories should be build?

You can only build factories in states and not in colony, so you need heavily populated states and from the looks of it you don't (I assume China, Ethiopia and Vietnam are colonies ?). I'm not sure Persia itself has the population density to reach 2000 industry score.

Still, you need to switch to high value industry : cars, planes, radios, synthetic oil, tanks, phones and electric gears. That you should help your score, then focus on getting craftsmen / clerks (20-30% craftsmen in your main states)

You can only build factories in states and not in colony, so you need heavily populated states and from the looks of it you don't (I assume China, Ethiopia and Vietnam are colonies ?). I'm not sure Persia itself has the population density to reach 2000 industry score.
Still, you need to switch to high value industry : cars, planes, radios, synthetic oil, tanks, phones and electric gears. That you should help your score, then focus on getting craftsmen / clerks (20-30% craftsmen in your main states)
How populate must be a state to be a good place to start an industry? And question about migration, is there any migration from colonies (here China) to states?

How populate must be a state to be a good place to start an industry? And question about migration, is there any migration from colonies (here China) to states?
Well, as a guideline... I'd say look at how many levels of factory a fifth of your POPs could fill out (a third would be reasonable, but that will come later); for every 50,000 POPs you have in a state, you can fill up one level of factory mid-way through your industrialization. That means even a state with 500,000 would be the practical minimum for a state you want to do a lot of industry in.

Of course, even a state with only 100,000 people can support some industry. Just don't use industries that give or get good throughput bonuses and you'll be fine.

As for migration, yes they can migrate both ways if they wish to.

Yeah no other way. Just pray you have State Capitalism to build what YOU want :) Then organize stuff to build the most valuable stuff. Check the trade screen and see demand and most expensive goods.

Also, even if a good is in low demand, IF you sphere people that don´t build that good, they will buy them from you. That´s why sphering is very important for lower ranked GPs.

Persia is a monarchy, so I can switch to Reactionary party (Jingoism and State Capitalism!)
I've broke the 1000 point limit for the first time. Around 1910. Yay for me!

In populated states I've built Industry Chains, maybe someone found it useful:
Military Complex: Canned Food, Artillery, Ammunition, Explosives, Small Arms,Steel Factory, Fertilizer (best in States with Iron or Sulphur)
Furniture Complex: Lumber, Furniture, L.Furniture, Paper (timber states of course, side note I'm not sure what the best use of the rest factory slots, booze?)
Clothes Complex: Fabric, Clothes, L.Clothes, Dye, Cement, Glass, Winery, Liquor (Cotton/Coal states like Tabriz!)
Heavy Industry: Steamer, Steel Fact., Machine Parts, Automobile, Barrel, Aeroplane, Electric Gear (coal states)
HighEnd Complex: Electric Gear, Radio, Telephone, Glass, Aeroplane, Machine Parts, Automobile, Barrel (rubber or coal)

My advice:

Subsidize all factories from the beginning, and check the factories when you start having large subsidy payments. If there are 3+ factories of the same type you are paying money to, close one of them down and remove it. There is too much supply, and removing the extra supply reduces your payments, and makes the price go up.

Also keep looking at the Investment tab, and invest in all factories and railroads. This keeps your capitalists very rich in the early parts of the game and allows them to have enough money to open factories or railroads instantly within 1 to 2 decades. It is also much faster this way compared to if you open the factory the goods can take months to arrive, but somehow the capitalists get the goods themselves. This is why you should never build railroads yourself but let capitalists start the project and then invest in it.

The main problem factories face by the end game is access to resources. With the right commerce and industry techs, factories are pretty generally profitable so long as they have access to resources. In my experience, rubber, coal and to a lesser extent, iron, are the resources you plan your empire around. Colonies, states, spheres, whatever - just make sure you can get access to as much rubber, coal and iron as you can.

The throughput bonus from having factories is in the same state as their resources ends up not being that big a deal in the late game, when industry really picks up, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Having high literacy (to get clerks) and good industry/industry related commerce techs are much more important.

Generally, consider building factories yourself (State Capitalism for this) as the AI doesn't consider things like access to resources. Hence its instance on building fabric factories when you have no access to dye. There are two really useful tools I use for determining which factories to build (other than experience ;) ). In the trade screen, down the bottom there is a table that shows the trades your country made the previous day. One of those columns has the total value of those trades, with negative numbers indicating imports. If you focus on building factories that produce the goods that you are importing most, you know you will have a market to sell to as pops always buy from the internal market first. The second is the table in the trade screen that shows market activity. This table shows the number of goods that are being exported from your common market. This is a really easy way to see what resources your market has access to. If you are sphere leader, you will actually have more than that table shows as you have first call on at least 50% of the internal market of your spherelings, but it gives a good indication of resource availability none the less.

Wow, I had never considered the import thing you mentioned; good platitude. I like to build industries following the different "good types". I like to first focus on Industrial goods and then move on to consumer goods.

There are several key points to follow if you want to industrialize:

-Launch an intensive literacy campaign by researching education techs and encouraging clergymen to 4% in all non-colonial states. You should try to aim for a .1% increase in literacy per month. Illiterate POPs won't promote to the craftsmen and clerks you need.

-Switch to a reactionary party for state capitalism. You need to manually jump start your industry, laissez faire only works for well established economies with a highly literate population.

-Wineries and Liquor distilleries are great early game factories. They are always in demand and the raw materials they use are pretty common. Just remember to put them in states that produce fruit or grain for that throughput bonus.

-RESEARCH INPUT, OUTPUT, AND THROUGHPUT FACTORY TECHS. This is especially important. Without them artisans will be more efficient than factories, you don't want that.

As for migration, yes they can migrate both ways if they wish to.

No, there's almost no migration from colonies, that's why having a huge colonial empire in China does not help industry at home, or at least not as much as it could if chinese pops could migrate easily. It's also why releasing colonies as dominions helps a bit with productivity since pops suddenly are able to migrate and thus can flow to provinces with desired goods (such as rubber).
Migration to the colonies can happen though, especially if you share a land border.