• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Awesome!

Chapter 8: Expulsions and peace treaties

28th of March, In The Year of Our Lord 1143
Dear Diary,
Today, I have signed an edict expelling the Jews.
A22433AEC3DCB52095DD23019F6C6090227594B9

I made the decision based on Bohemond's suggestion, though he suggested it for different reasons than I would expect from him.....
"Father, I have received a letter demanding a loan repayment from a host of Jewish merchants. They demand that you also pay them back with interest." He said as he came into my chamber and sat himself down. He planked himself down on his seat, looking as skinny as a stick
"You should eat more. You're going to get sick if you don't feed yourself properly." I ruffled his hair with a fond smile.
"Can you listen to me? This is important. The Jews have some serious power when it comes to money." He gave me an angry stare.
"Alright, alright. What do you suggest I do." I put on my business face, which I used whenever I dealt with business's of state.
He gave me a devious smile.
"Expel them."
"What?" I looked at him incredulously.
"Yes. It will prove you are a good catholic monarch, and fix our financial problems." He paused, and stood to look out of my office's window. "And, you will be able to use the money that is confiscated to free these lands of infidels."
I considered his proposal for a minute or two, before coming to my decision.
"The Jews pay their taxes, and our Lord tells us to be merciful. I cannot expel them without reason."
My son turned back to me, and his face was aflame.
"Why do you think that God has not given us victories? It's because we shelter people like them!" He pointed out of the window.
He left soon after that, and after considering his words, I decided to follow his advice. After all, why hasn't the Lord helped us in our peril? Why are we losing this war?
God forgive me if I'm wrong.

6th of April, In the Year of Our Lord 1183
Dear Diary,
I have managed to gather enough money to recruit a band of barbaric mercenaries to defend our beloved Antioch.
CC975815F8CD4C3E59DAD512EAB315C60736955D

Even as they gather outside the walls of Antioch, I send peace treaties to the Muslim princes, offering them peace, with no conditions. The loss of their armies has convinced many that the conquest of Antioch is not a good idea, and now I am sure that peace with many of our neighbors will come.
I plan to send the mercenaries east, to defeat the troops surrounding the fortress of Archa, and free our lands from the Infidels gradually.
Bohemond complains that the mercenaries are unreliable and untrustworthy, but in truth, I don't have much choice, as our forces are now drained, and the Holy orders still campaign in the losing battle for Jerusalem. As a result, I have to result to these troops. Rowdy and undisciplined yes, but still effective.
May God give us victory!

28th of May, In the Year of Our Lord 1143
My forces have now gathered. More Italian troops have recently arrived, and now we are once again ready to do battle against the infidel.
9946207DC4CE06978ABDEC0DB01291CEAF0E070C

Under suggestion from Bohemond, I shall now be one of the leaders of the army, to discourage mutiny and treachery. I said goodbye to my wife and young daughters once again, and set out from home to war against the infidels like I did years ago. This time with Bohemond at my side instead of Godfrey. Together, we shall free this land once again from the grips of the infidel!
Speaking of Bohemond, he managed to convince me to give up my charitable ways. He said it was for the good of the nation, as the money wasted on charity could be used to pay the mercenaries that extra month needed, or to bribe vassals to stay quiet.
309AA79539059B0ED81AF6252142B7283C15796C

He made it sound very convincing, and I came around to his side after an argument where I tackled him to the floor.
Death to the infidels!

Ok, here's the weekly update. Once again, any suggestions are appreciated, and I'm still wondering if I should change anything. So, speak up!

Last edited:
Just come to this AAR. Subbed! I like the immediate style. It's believable and realistic. Don't worry about mistakes. Re-read your posts and then just edit them. KUTGW I shall be following this

It's the crusade. :cool: It doesn't really matter if I lose it.
Just come to this AAR. Subbed! I like the immediate style. It's believable and realistic. Don't worry about mistakes. Re-read your posts and then just edit them. KUTGW I shall be following this
I'm flattered! Thanks for the compliments. :)

oh boy... -95.. this could be over really soon

Chapter 9: Defeats and Victories

9th of August,In the Year of Our Lord 1143
Dear Diary,
We have marched to outside the gates of Archa, and now we fight with the Infidel's for control of the area. We're very close to making them rout.
4A93C51DFE4174207E08A407EF10370939D93B41

If God is on our side then it shall show in the next few days.
Deus Vult!

17th of October,In the Year of Our Lord 1143
Dear diary,
We won the battle outside Archa, but immediately after we'd routed the enemy Infidels, an army appeared at the horizon. Now, are men now run from the field, and even my best men tremble in fear for the Seljuk army.
C375ACA7CC86992DE9F50D8CC3319DE973B77FAE

A couple of the days ago, as I fled from the field while attempting to keep my troops in order, I ran into Godfrey once again, this time serving in my army as a foot soldier.
"Seems like we're having a little rout here, eh brother?" He gave me a huge smile.
I had been knocked off my horse, and walked up to my brother as I screamed orders to some men to keep running in formation.
"God's against us for some reason. Was I wrong to expel the Jews brother?" I despaired to him.
"I have no clue. For all I know, God's doing this to amuse himself." He looked at the enemy cavalry that was charging up to us.
"I'm going to start running, and I'd suggest you run too." He then dropped his pike and ran away away as fast as he could.
I screamed a couple more orders, found a horse, and rode like Hell's demons were behind me.

9th of May, In the Year of Our Lord 1144
Dear Diary,
The battle was lost, and now I'm barely scraping by now. The mercenaries deserted or turned traitor, my men are either dead or running, and the only thing that I have is a ton of gold. I was beginning God had abandoned me, but then, Bohemond came again.........
4981FAD6A3141420CA5C67918DA9E3BED70E6406

"Father, you now have a great cart of gold outside!" He sat himself down and drank the cup of wine I was drinking.
"Wait, wha...." I replied.
He favored me with a brimming smile. "Baron Osmund has..... generously offered up some of his treasury for the war effort."
I looked at him with my best I-don't-believe-you face.
"You mean bribed us."
He gave me a good natured shrug. "Well, it was either that or pissing off his peasants."
"I'll take any gold I can take. Thanks." I then shoved him out of the door.
After my attempt to coerce my father in law into one of my religious wars and being rejected, despite joining one of his European wars, I was getting increasingly desperate.
0BECC215CDED7A4292CD91258618A9AABE71BE65

221CD2365CE2BBDC2A32FAF583726B6F1649E8AA

I sighed to myself. Over the last decade of wars, I'd been ground into the dust, and the increasing pressure is still putting me on edge. Additionally, I have also received news that the crusade has failed, ending the hope of a restored Jerusalem. With the end of the crusade, who shall send troops to poor Antioch?
Edit: Uhhh....., I guess I didn't explain that well enough, because there's been a bit of confusion about this.
You see, to try and drag in the HRE I offered my pledge of assistance in one of their wars, which they accepted.
Then when I called them in, they refused to come.
Sorry for the confusion.
May God have mercy on my soul.
Phew, I'm done with that. Looks like Bohemond will have some problems!
And thanks for all the support :)

Last edited:
But you have the pledge of assistance from the mighty HRE no?

How much gold have you in the treasury? I'm presuming not enough to hire mercenaries?

with the HRE on your side nothing can go wrong

with the HRE on your side nothing can go wrong
But you have the pledge of assistance from the mighty HRE no?
...so long as you can avoid losing until they finally show up.
Uhhh....., I guess I didn't explain that well enough.
You see, to try and drag in the HRE I offered my pledge of assistance in one of their wars, which they accepted.
Sorry for taking so long to clear this up, but the next chapter should be up soon!

Last edited:
Uhhh....., I guess I didn't explain that well enough.
Sorry for taking so long to clear this up, but the next chapter should be up soon!

No worries bkj-we will look forward to the next instalment

Oh and to your other question.... yeah I only have about one hundred gold or so, not enough to hire mercenaries! It's bad.:excl:
Edit: Wait, no, I actually have three hundred gold! I can hire mercenaries, but not for long.....

Last edited:
Chapter 10: Defeats and surrender

17th of May In the Year of Our Lord 1144
Dear Diary,
Today, I have finally met the reason for my life, the love of my life. Her name is Muriella, and she helps to put my worries and cares at ease. Additionally, she's especially polite and very charming.
38EB8043D66F1406DC3EBC60CBEB156402B8A024

I have went to her, and despite the sin I have committed, she has put my worries at ease and made me an overall happier man. There is once again a small spring in my step as I go around my home. Besides, surely my wife cannot blame me for giving into sin at this time of immense pressure?

17th of June In the Year of Our Lord 1144
Godfrey has came to me with a rather..... interesting suggestion this morning, if rather desperate.
BF89F490DB1D1963F65D37103D85A45F7BB22FBB

"I do hope you haven't given up yet brother." He said as he came into my office.
"DO you want me to bash you like I did when we were younger, brother?" I asked as I saw him. "Of course I've given up, the Infidels outnumber us ten to one, and there isn't a man with half a mind who would say that we have a chance."
"Don't be too sure, brother." He said knowingly.
"What's up?" My curiosity was piqued.
He put down a letter on the table.
"I have been able to solicit aid from one of the Holy Orders. They've been busy so far because of that God damned crusade, but the Knight's Templars are willing and able to help us."
I felt a bubbling joy at the sound of help, and I nearly jumped up and hugged Godfrey right then and there. However, I couldn't help but feel a sinking feeling.
"Will it be enough?" I asked.
Godfrey gave a shrug. "Who knows, but it's a chance." He said before turning to leave.

23rd of December In the Year of Our Lord 1144
Dear Diary,
Today, I have tearfully said goodbye to Gundred, one of my daughters. She looked almost kind of scared when I told her that she was going to be marrying the sixty nine year old King of Bohemia, but the girl swallowed and has sailed off bravely.
59C5FF5A61BF1BE282CDDB033E6D5DB9E2147EB0

It will be better in her new home then it will be here, as the forces of the enemy gang up on us with more fierceness and numbers ever since the battle of Sarmin.
I will tell you of the details that I have gathered from that fateful battle.
The Knight's Templar arrived to aid us, and since our lands were being besieged by multiple hosts of the Infidel, the Grandmaster proposed that their troops and my meager levies would meet outside of their range, further inland.
However, as our troops gathered, it was found that the Infidels had somehow realized that our troops were gathering around Aleppo and sent an army to attack before the Templar troops had fully recovered.
The battle of Sarmin was bloody, with the Templars and my men fighting bravely. However, the weight of their numbers eventually broke the left wing, and soon enough, the center was retreating from the battle.
3760047EB108675B9167BED02E22B2DE8AA13329

The right flank tried to hold on, but alone, it finally was forced back. The remaining troops were chased down and slaughtered somewhere in Hama.
Now the Infidel besieges us on all our sides, and I am left with Bohemond to try and devise a strategy to try and hold off the tide.
Somehow, I doubt that we'll actually survive.

3rd of August, In the Year of Our Lord 1144
Dear Diary,
The Muslim's have now called a Holy War of our Christian Brethren in Portugal.
B9715470B1AEDFD55B6682E742D255F23FC261FC

I fear that we will be the first to fall, and that soon enough, the whole of Europe will be overcome by their barbarian horde.
As a result, when I heard that my Chancellor had managed to fabricate a claim on some lands in Armenian Edessa, I rejected taking advantage of the opportunity to claim their lands.
59B1230E970D110C92A1ACFEC73E985F29257328

For this is not a time to fight among ourselves, it is a time for all Christians to fight under one flag, to fight in a Crusade against the Infidels!
I hope now that my Christian brethren will turn back the tide, whether I am able to help or not.
Note: I do know that it's a Fatimid Jihad, but I don't think that Bohemond would even notice the differences between the Muslims. As far as he knows, their all Infidels.

21st of December, In the Year of Our Lord 1145
Today, my dear daughter Gundred has returned home.
E2EACB59BF0FC2EBB15DD4BA488FC907161C09D1

I decided to invite her back home after a suggestion from Bohemond.
"Father, I believe it would be prudent to invite Gundred back home." Bohemond said as we walked through the garden discussing the matter of the Infidels.
"Why? She has a husband doesn't she?" I asked.
There was a silence before he replied.
"Her husband's dead, and she is pregnant with a child."
B5BD49DE7D60B8808BD508D3CEBFD00B8303DCDB

"What?" I said incredulously.
"He was old. It was bound to happen. You knew it would happen when you sent her off." He told me accusingly.
"But, but....." I was speechless.
"Bring her back home, it will be good to her." He suggested carefully.
I followed his advice, but considering the amount of enemies we have, I doubt her home will be safe for long. I will make arrangements for another marriage soon, though perhaps someone less..... old.

16th of December, In the year of Our Lord 1146
And now, the day has finally come.
408F752D995CA236F295A841917CAA88645ABC5C

I have finally surrendered the Principality of Antioch of the Infidel, and have today sworn an oath of loyalty to the Infidel Bey. I initially thought that I would be stripped of everything I had, lose everything I had and would be forced to roam the courts of Europe. But, after I had formally surrendered, the Bey looked at me and spoke.
"You can keep everything you have, all your estates and castles. All that I ask of you is that you bow to me as your liege Lord." He spoke with only a hint of an accent.
I couldn't help but show the shock on my face.
Later, I met with Bohemond.
"Wait, what in God's name happened?" I asked him, still not believing what had happened.
He gave me a little smile.
"It's called the "feudal system", father. You should know it very well." He said with a cheerful smile.
I smacked his head in irritation.
"No, I'm asking you why the hell I'm still a Lord?" I asked in an irritated voice.
"Because it would harder to control the population if he got a new Lord." He looked at me as if I was going mad."Duh." He added optionally.
"But, we're Christians, and they're.... Infidels." I said.
Bohemond gave me a cheerful thump on the back.
"And greed is more powerful then belief! Be happy for it."
............................................................................................
Well, I guess that's the end of those wars I've been fighting for ten years. I thought I'd be done, but apparently, "Invasion" means vassalising rather than outright taking all they have. So..... I guess Bohemond lives to fight another day. And the younger Bohemond lives to scheme another.
And thanks for all the support!

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if you can plot another path to power

Good effort!

I am quite honestly burned out guys, and I think I'll take this week off before continuing Bohemond's journey as the Bey of Antioch. Sorry if that's irritating, especially since I only do these once a week anyway, but I really don't feel up to it guys.

I am quite honestly burned out guys, and I think I'll take this week off before continuing Bohemond's journey as the Bey of Antioch. Sorry if that's irritating, especially since I only do these once a week anyway, but I really don't feel up to it guys.

Hey bkj you never need to apologise to us. Post at your own pace and look after yourself