• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Commander666

Field Marshal
2 Badges
Nov 24, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 500k Club
How do I change the color for Trans-Ural Republic so it not same yellow as Japan because I can't see the borders in political view. Using Poland's lighter yellow would work.

Also, how do I change Kazakhstan as it is same as China? Mengkukuo blue would work well to show where the the border is.

Thanks!

Open the country.csv file with Notepad.

See what color have the countries you like and edit the ones you want!

Example...

Afganistan is White and Albania is DarkBrown in the original file

AFG;White;ENG;ENG;X
ALB;DarkBrown;ENG;ITA;X

Then i change it ...because i like Albania to be white!

AFG;White;ENG;ENG;X
ALB;White;ENG;ITA;X

It's that easy !

you can change a country color-theme in db/country.csv
i think however doing so changes your checksum !

the color themes which are defined in country.csv [like "White" or "DarkBrown"] can be found in /map/colorscales.csv
i do not remember what the four values represent for each color. Afair the last one was the "border" of the color. but you may find what each of the attributes mean with a bit of try-and-error. [and of course if you know what rgb color model is]
changing the colorscales.csv does NOT alter the checksum so you can still play in multiplayer and don't have to stare on the eye-hurting default yellow of japan :)

So you can't alter countries color-theme if you care about checksum [only the actual value defined to that theme]. if you don't care, just edit the country.csv just like Kostasl proposed.

and as off-topic i have some faint memories from math-class from an interesting topic, called the four color theorem :) this is funny as aod has so many colors and still have to deal with problems like this [well that theorem does not apply on a dynamic map of course]

Last edited:
Thanks guys! But now I'm worried about trying it. Maybe best I just leave it alone.

...this is funny as aod has so many colors and still have to deal with problems like this...

Well, they could have just used a different colour for every country... and avoided all possible problems given the dynamic nature of conquests. I mean, how many different colors are there that will work for internet requirements?

Of course Japan player will eventually liberate Trans-Ural; so why would the 2 countries have same political color? And of course somebody (Germany or Japan) will liberate Kaskhstan (right next to N. China once China has all its cores); so why make those two eventually adjacent countries same color?

It's a bit frustrating but now that I finished giving Trans-Ural all the many high revolt risk but economically useless provinces adjacent to them, I think I'll not risk committing an error trying to change colors and possibly corrupting my game. I should try modding at the start of a game - not near the end I suppose.

Open the country.csv file with Notepad....
It's that easy !

Actually, I got a bit braver about trying this. Please understand I have near zero mod experience.

But I can't even find the .csv file after having looked in quite a few folders. Where is it located, please? Thanks again!

already mentioned in my post it is db/country.csv
of course look for the "db" folder under your main aod folder... like "c:\games\aod\db\country.csv"

Thanks for bearing with a noob! I found it!

But which country code is Trans-Ural Republic and which is Kasskstan? I suspect they are one of the Uxx countries - of which there are 99.

UPDATE: Success! I changed China instead giving it red, and did so directly in the .csv file. That fixes the problem with bordering Kazakhstan.

Maybe I can find a color to change Japan that will work for my many world-wide borders with other countries (and so eliminate knowing the counytry code for Trans-Ural republic). But if anybody does know Trans-ural country code, that would probably be a better solution as my conquering Japan is sure to get into some other "color conflict" if it expands with a new color.

UPDATE #2: MORE SUCCESS! I changed Japan to Ecuador's color (brown) which solves all world-wide border color conflicts. And I am no longer staring at "desertic yellow"! :D

This was actually incredibly easy... once one knows how.

THANKS everybody!

Last edited:
KAZ and TRA. Check db/revolt.txt for other countries if wanted.

Thanks Pang, but I got it working well now with having changed CHI anf JAP colors instead. I quite like seeing Japan in brown and China in red. Something about that original Japan yellow many people have commented creates eye strain is true.