• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Egg Bub

First Lieutenant
25 Badges
Jan 13, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • March of the Eagles
  • Lead and Gold
  • King Arthur II
  • Iron Cross
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
I notice that the British Grand Fleet is implemented in the 1914 scenario as a historical formation. In DH terms this looks like a crazy ratio of capital ships to screens. Is the fleet of any use whatsoever or should I immediately disband it?

P.S. I also notice that its range is pathetic, something to do with overstacking.

Range has nothing to do with overstacking. What matters is the speed of the slowest unit in the stack.
Could you elaborate on this please? For some reason the Grand Fleet has a range of 375km which is very poor, considering the ship with the shortest range has a range of 3000km.

Could you elaborate on this please? For some reason the Grand Fleet has a range of 375km which is very poor, considering the ship with the shortest range has a range of 3000km.

Speed has nothing to do with range, although it helps in positioning. The ship with the shortest range determines the range of the task force as you pointed out. I don't have the game open, but there has to be a very old SS, DD or TP in that stack holding you back.

I don't agree. I have many times experienced that decreasing overstacking gives more range, with same units.

That's interesting. I've never seen or tested that. But it would explain Egg Bub's situation.

He´s actually right. I removed BB4´s from the Grand Fleet and the range increased to 750km (new BB4 fleet has 7,500 km). After removing BB3´s the range of the Grand Fleet increased to 2,500 km (again the BB3 fleet has 6,500 km range).

Can a dev please confirm exactly what causes fleets such as the Grand Fleet to have pathetic move range (375km)? It is a problem because that range with range like that the battle of Jutland couldn't have happened.

Can a dev please confirm exactly what causes fleets such as the Grand Fleet to have pathetic move range (375km)? It is a problem because that range with range like that the battle of Jutland couldn't have happened.

Well, Black Ader explained the reason and Blecky confirmed it. I see still there are things i don't know in this game in spite of countless hours of gameplay.

misc.txt is your friend:
# Fleet size range penalty - Percentage loss for every ship above the max threshold (see below). 0.0 (0%) to 1.0 (100%)
0.1 #0.025 #0.0
# Fleet size range penalty - apply for every ship in the fleet above this. -1 = Disabled
33 #3 #-1
# Fleet size range penalty - max penalty value (min allowed multiplier on the range). 0.0 to 1.0 (no penalty)
0.15 #0.5 #1.0

I don't agree. I have many times experienced that decreasing overstacking gives more range, with same units.
I stand corrected :)
Actually, I have never played a country with such a big fleet that cumulative malus would trigger such a range reduction.