This Thursday at 15:15cest - Hearts of Iron 4 Q&A

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

A_Spec

Tinkerer
144 Badges
Jun 13, 2012
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Vikings
  • Pride of Nations
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
ZfNK1h5.jpg

At least he isn't trying to hit you with his sword

--------Update-----------

Video is now available;

[video=youtube;15Fxaax41t4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Fxaax41t4[/video]

--------Update-----------

Hello,

It's been a few weeks since Gamescom where we presented Hearts of Iron 4 for the first time in a live environment for all the world to see. Since then, a slew of questions have come out from the community, ea; you. This Thursday we're going to sit down with Dan Lind and try to answer some of these. Now there's been thousands of posts since the last presentation, so for the sake our sanity we'd like you to post your questions in this thread, and Dan will pick some of the most relevant ones to answer.

The subjects that we'll be covering question wise are the ones that we've discussed so far. For a refresher on what those are, here's the dev diaries and video assets;

What we've shown so far

Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 1 - Our Vision
Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 2 - The Tools of War
Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 3 - Bringing WWII to the mainstream (april fools)
Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 4 - Land Doctrines
Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 5 - Production Lines
Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 6 - Division Design
Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 7 - Air Combat
Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 8 - Experience and Variants
Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 9 - Vacation and Air tech

[video=youtube;LxGNpPz_W2A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGNpPz_W2A[/video]

The session will be part of our ParadoxLive presenation this Thursday at 15:15cest and you'll be able to see it here; http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Last edited:
Will there be a hierarchical chain of command for selection of units? If so, will those groupings have historical names -- Corps, Army, Army Group, Theater? Will there be leaders assigned to the CoC, or just one leader to a group of divisions?

All divisions must be assigned a division-type template, I assume. If so, is there any mechanism to divide or merge divisions in the field? For example, splitting 1 four regiment division into 2 two regiment brigade-sized divisions, then merging them back together.

How can nations at peace accumulate experience? War games, peace time maneuvers, military observers? Any benefits from war experience of closely aligned nations, such as the US benefiting from the UK's experience? Any means to convert leadership or IC into experience?

Will there be any grainy historical photos anywhere? Or will everything be original artwork?

What will be the American national dog? I like golden retrievers.

Last edited:
Games like CK2 and EU4 have done a lot to become more multiplayer friendly compared to prior Paradox titles, will HoI4 be following in the same footsteps?

Info about multiplayer, as much as possible to give an idea:
1) How it's going to work? ( generally)
2) The system allow to find player inside the game? ( i mean if i don't know nobody and i want to do an online game can i find?)
3) There is going to be the possibility of JOINING an existing game, without needing to save and restart... if someone crash? ( actually a burden in hoi3)
4) How many players are going to be supported ( 32? 64?) ?
5) It's possibile to make a system where players are not allowed to see a country if they don't know the password protecting the country?

Regarding countries/Puppets:

1. Will there be the possibility to start as Rep Spain and then when the war starts to switch sides and control Nat Spain? Also for creating puppets?

2. I want to use my spies in Yugoslavia to start a rebellion and create Croatia. Possible?

3. I dont like my flag, i want to change it. Possible?

4. I want a Fascist leader to take point in Hungary but the people doesnt like the Idea(political org very low or the fascists) and so i started a civil war. Possible?

5. I want to command my Exp forces troops as Germany in Spain, China, Timbuktu... Possible?

Thank you for taking the time to answer at least 3 questions :D

Greetings

Its best to keep questions on areas listed in the top post. Most of the stuff VampiRos asked for example I cant really answer yet

Its best to keep questions on areas listed in the top post. Most of the stuff VampiRos asked for example I cant really answer yet

Off topic;

Does this mean team HoI will be back in action this week?
Or is it only Podcat who cannot hold back any longer and have to cut his vacation short ;)

Will damaged IC require spending IC to fix them?

Will we be able to turn obsolete tanks in our reserves into things like TD, SP Art etc. ?

Air combat: Will aircraft overflying province be affected by AAA located there? (just like in AoD).

Will Transport Bombers be in HOI IV (just kidding! :) )

1. Regarding the Division Structure/Builder.

Will there be any differences between a Division structured as either :
- 2 x Regiments with 3 x Battalions each
OR
- 3 x Regiments with 2 x Battalions each ?

2. Regarding Light Tanks.

Once they inevitably become obsolete, will it be possible to transfer Light Tanks from regular frontline duty to (Armored) Recon Battalions ? (Historically Panzer IIs, M3 Stuarts, T-60/70s being relegated to recon roles)

Thank you.

Off topic;

Does this mean team HoI will be back in action this week?
Or is it only Podcat who cannot hold back any longer and have to cut his vacation short ;)

Me and Tomasz are back. Darkrenown and Guraan are still on holiday, So we havent geared up properly yet.

A clarification about Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 7 - Air Combat:

If planes work in a "Strategic Region", there are chance of having one's forces spread over rather big areas. whereas the player might want to focus on one particular area.

For example [this is considering what seen at Gamescom more or less final]:

If the Brits have taken North Africa and want to get air superiority only in Sicily (that is: not mainland Italy), how can they do it if the Strategic Region seem to include the whole of Italy (minus the "Alpine Region)?

On a more abstract level: how do you focus your forces on one particular area if this area is part of a Strategic Region where multiple potential enemy targets are present?

1. If a player terminates a high efficiency production line, is that efficiency lost forever or can one allocate this efficiency to a new production line? I recall it being mentioned that the efficiency is stored in the factory IC itself, so it seems that the efficiency should still be somewhere in the system, but how would that be done practically? (It seems that this would be a lot easier if new production lines were allocated to specific, persistent groups of IC so that one could use that IC for something else temporarily, and then get back to producing it's intended item at only a smaller reduction in efficiency, or will this be possible?)

2. Will a player be able to order production lines of several naval vessels in parallel with a defined limit, i.e. 10 lines of 5 destroyers á la hoi3 without having to deploy those ships manually later, or keep track of how many that have been produced and manually stop the production?

(2b. Will the new naval mechanics prohibit a country from creating fleets anywhere, like Germany conquering Yugoslavia and dropping a surface action group in Split, or in Nice/Brest for that matter?)

3. will we be able to put limits on how many units a production line will produce, and will we be able to see stats for each production line such as how many units it has produced this month/year/total?

(Bonus question: would it be possible to separate bombers from transports by modding?)