• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dav77-b

Dampfnudel
92 Badges
Jan 10, 2010
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 2
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
I noticed recently that the AI can not use more than 1 CAG per carrier in my games.
Is this a common bug or is something wrong with my game?

Edit: Iam using sometimes mods (TRP or THP ) sometimes Vanila. In both cases AI cant use more than 1 CAG.

I noticed recently that the AI can not use more than 1 CAG per carrier in my games.
Is this a common bug or is something wrong with my game?

Edit: Iam using sometimes mods (TRP or THP ) sometimes Vanila. In both cases AI cant use more than 1 CAG.

Have they combined two separate units into one? I do that all the time.

depends if the AI has enough CAG and if the carriers in the mod ccan handle more than one, but the AI does use 2 together... There are a few bugs that can prevent it though

To say that the AI can't use groups of two CAGs is incorrect. To say that the AI rarely uses groups of two CAGs on a carrier is all too true.

But why does the AI prefer using one CAG over 2 or 3?
I can only guess about not preferring to use groups of 2, but for 3 the reason is simple: CAG groups larger than 2 do not fit on carriers (unless so mods that).
My guess about 2 is the AI in general preferring smaller units, because it doesn't care about how easy to use it is, and whether it requires more "clicks" to use those solo CAG.
Smaller units are more efficient concerning mission efficiency. There might very well be a lot of other (maybe more important) reasons for the AI to do it this way.

I reinstalled the game and I started a new game. This time AI did not use CAG at all. Not my AI controled navy and not the enemy. I played germany and had 6 carrier and 20 CAG. ( AI Theatrer controle ) All Cag were idle somewhere in germany while all carrier where patroling without them. Any ideas why AI cant use CAG any more? If I gave CAG once under AI control it can not be undone. CAGs dont have the button "detach from unit hierachy".

I reinstalled the game and I started a new game. This time AI did not use CAG at all. Not my AI controled navy and not the enemy. I played germany and had 6 carrier and 20 CAG. ( AI Theatrer controle ) All Cag were idle somewhere in germany while all carrier where patroling without them. Any ideas why AI cant use CAG any more? If I gave CAG once under AI control it can not be undone. CAGs dont have the button "detach from unit hierachy".
CAG are usually attached to their carriers, even when they are not physically there. Check on your carrier fleet(s) if you are looking for those CAG. Maybe you need to deactivate the AI controlling that fleet for a moment, I have no experience with setting my navies on AI.

When you deploy the CAG, before assigning to a Theater, just make sure you deploy to a carrier. That way they are always on CAG Duty at the least. If you don't put them on a carrier before giving it to the AI, the tend to treat them like normal planes, or more specifically MR (which I can't recall if they ever fixed it so they would at least fly interception/superiority instead of sitting around useless).

What happens is that the ai control is abit bugged when using carriers.
The thing is that when it decides if it should go to port and repair it only looks at the strength of the carrier and not of the carrier air group . So what likely happened for you is that your carrier air group has run out of strength and has been destroyed.
Now if you want two cags again you will have to build a new one and manually detached the carrier and move it to a port and attach the cag ot it and then put it back under ai control by reattaching the carrier.

Reactions:
What happens is that the ai control is abit bugged when using carriers.
The thing is that when it decides if it should go to port and repair it only looks at the strength of the carrier and not of the carrier air group . So what likely happened for you is that your carrier air group has run out of strength and has been destroyed.
Now if you want two cags again you will have to build a new one and manually detached the carrier and move it to a port and attach the cag ot it and then put it back under ai control by reattaching the carrier.

The CAGs were never destroyed because they were never used (still sitting idle in airports). So the AI cant attach CAGs without human help?

The CAGs were never destroyed because they were never used (still sitting idle in airports). So the AI cant attach CAGs without human help?

With the human player, no. Even if the CV is on AI control you must manually place the CAGs on the carrier. It is also impossible for the human player to attach a CAG to a HQ. This will only happen if the CAG's CV sinks; then the AI can use them, but it will still be unable to attach them to CVs needing one.

With the AI player the AI can place the initial CAGs on a CV, but if the CAG gets destroyed it cannot create nor assign replacements. If the CV gets sunk but the CAGs survive they will be attached to the AI and it does know how to use them as regular aircraft. Many times I have had my ships and ground forces attacked by orphaned CAGs. It's a real bitch to send a fleet against an area and have it attacked by nine land-based CAGs. Fleets tend to get shredded by such a formation!

With the human player, no. Even if the CV is on AI control you must manually place the CAGs on the carrier. It is also impossible for the human player to attach a CAG to a HQ. This will only happen if the CAG's CV sinks; then the AI can use them, but it will still be unable to attach them to CVs needing one.

With the AI player the AI can place the initial CAGs on a CV, but if the CAG gets destroyed it cannot create nor assign replacements. If the CV gets sunk but the CAGs survive they will be attached to the AI and it does know how to use them as regular aircraft. Many times I have had my ships and ground forces attacked by orphaned CAGs. It's a real bitch to send a fleet against an area and have it attacked by nine land-based CAGs. Fleets tend to get shredded by such a formation!

I never had the problem of attching a CAG to a HQ. I just can not undo that.

I never had the problem of attching a CAG to a HQ. I just can not undo that.

I would like to know how you are doing this because in vanilla the arrow for attaching CAGs into a heirarchy is greyed out; i.e., not available as an authorized function. This is also something I have not encountered in any mod, but that is not to say you aren't playing a mod that maybe changes this.

BTW I play TRP and HPP and haven't noticed this ability, but perhaps you have stumbled upon something that should be bug reported.

I would like to know how you are doing this because in vanilla the arrow for attaching CAGs into a heirarchy is greyed out; i.e., not available as an authorized function. This is also something I have not encountered in any mod, but that is not to say you aren't playing a mod that maybe changes this.

BTW I play TRP and HPP and haven't noticed this ability, but perhaps you have stumbled upon something that should be bug reported.

With the the OB Managment Interface. You can control your OB hierachy with drag and drop.

With the the OB Managment Interface. You can control your OB hierachy with drag and drop.

This. I do it when I'm ramping up the USA. I'll have a dozen CAGs just sitting there, so I might as well throw them under a supply umbrella. Once the carrier comes online, I rebase them to the carrier, which is then attached to whatever theater/front needs them.

I do believe you have to place them on the map first before you can assign them to the OOB. I should mention it appears to be an oversight on the devs part, as you can't attach them except by dragging and dropping in the OOB, and once you do that you can't detach them. You can still assign them to a carrier normally.

Last edited: