• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kadski

Private
85 Badges
Jan 23, 2011
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
So I am playing as South Africa and going to war against the British colonies around me and when I try and march my troops North against the British I have run into a wall of provinces that are "infrastructure too low", and now I can't advance at all. How on Earth am I supposed to continue my campaign against the Brits if my troops can't actually move past a certain point.

Also if it helps I'm using an army composed entirely of Cavalry (woot woot 1945 Cav tech in 1940), I kinda went for a single focus here and decided an absurdly mobile and well trained army of Horsemen would be the best for the uncivilized African wilderness.

Your options on how to deal with Level 1 infrastructure are limited. Either you can go around them by land, bypass them by sea, or upgrade them to Level 2 or better (which may take 5 years of research before you can build a dirt road). Be aware that if you do circumvent or bypass those low-infrastructure provinces, your supply lines will still go through them, making operations beyond them nearly impossible unless you use convoys to supply a port that happens to be further along the chain of supply. If it's NOT in the direct line, those supplies will simply return overland to your capital.

I think he/she means that you cannot enter a province with infra level 1 means you cannot conquer it, no matter how strong your forces are. As you cannot conquer it, no supplies will go through it also.
Additionally to bypass it by sea is to modd or just accept it as yes, infr IS low in Africa even nowadays the mighty USA cannot control a desert area...

The way to take the British in Africa is to grab the ports and work inwards, not to march inland first. Cut off their supply, as you grab the territory around no pass zones it will become yours in which case you can then upgrade it later if need be, but likely wont have to. The key is the ports....

There are a couple of "walls" of Level 1 Infrastructure which prevent forces from moving all around the African continent. Most of the Level 1 Infra provinces will change hands if you occupy the higher-level provinces adjacent, but a few seem to be designed to prevent movement. Your choices are either to gain control of them by occupying their "controlling" neighbor and then upgrade the infrastructure, or else go around them.

Historically, most of those areas were considered "impassable" and "uninhabitable" by any sizable force or population, either due to horrific terrain, disease, near-total lack of food and/or drinkable water, or all of the above.