• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RoyalOrleans

Recruit
Sep 10, 2014
So I just recently purchased this game and I was/am most excited to play as Scotland. I started 3 different games and everytime I was uberfucked. Usually England gets me but one time I was excommunicated and everyone could gang up on me. But really, it's mostly England. It is a tricky position, being surrounded by Norse, Irish, and English...all natural enemies. Very very tough, and I had to abandon my attempts at playing Scotland. Currently I am having an amazing game as Orkney (well now I'm playing as the King of Norway), but I would appreciate any tips for a first time player on how to play Scotland.

Thanks!

In 1066, right? You need to revoke all the counties in Albany to build a decent demesne, and de jure claim the duchy of the Isles. If you declare war for one of the duke's vassals then you just become the liege, but if you declare for part of his demesne then you'll take direct control of it- keep that in mind, since it basically means three free counties if you attack in the right order. Suck up to England until you can conquer Ireland (lead in with fabricated claims) and maybe pick up a kingdom or two from crusades.

It's not the end of the world if the English take Cumberland from you. You can also stick your chancellor in Middlesex to improve diplomatic relations which should make them less inclined to attack.

i would say all of the above are useful

- as Cumberland is dejure England the English will just about always go for it after they have finished their starting wars. its only one county
- good marriages to esp HRE and also France and making sure they still like you more than they like England should make them think twice (france might be useless initially)
- yes you need a good demise & and take the isles before they ally with someone (they often decend into civil war too and its always good to hit the enemy when it is weak)

other tips
if norway loose invasion of england which they usually do and their king dies (oftne in war but soon anyway) they are liable to be weak and enter civil war between his sons soon. perfect time to take caithness and maybe orkney
make sure lord of teviotdale doesn't die childless and the county goes to his cousin in northumberland (ie england). There would probably be too many to kill for teviotdale to inherit northumberland but it may be possible.

Revoking titles in your primary duchy is extremely helpful, and if you do it via plot (intrigue tab, "click to choose a plot," "revoke county of X") you won't take any opinion penalty from your other vassals. Acquiring provinces up to your demesne limit should be an early-game priority for three reasons. First, because when you're a small realm your personal levies are the backbone of your army, second because it will significantly increase your income, and third because having a lot of personal levies will keep factions from revolting against you. As already noted, you can also expand your demesne by taking provinces from the duchy of the Isles. Even once you're at your demesne limit, try to keep acquiring personal control of counties; you can give them to family members, vassals with the content trait, or claimants to titles you want control over, as you prefer.

You may end up losing Cumberland - that's ok. Don't worry about it too much - England is bigger than you right now. But they're only claiming Cumberland because they have a de jure claim; they probably won't follow up by claiming other parts of Scotland. If England declares war on Cumberland, you have two options; call in allies, hire mercenaries, and try to fight back (and they're likely to do it again in ten years even if you win), or let them have it without much of a fight. What you definitely don't want to do is waste your army fighting a war against overwhelming odds - after you're decimated is when factions will revolt and other claimants will attack.

But you don't want to just surrender, because while the English are attacking you get a massive "defending against foreigners" opinion boost with your vassals. So let England take a few years to siege down all the holdings in Cumberland, because while you're "defending" against England is actually a great time to raise vassal levies and attack Norway or the Isles.

Your early game goals are simple. First, consolidate personal power by revoking counties. Second, consolidate realm power by conquering all of de jure Scotland. Third, pick off nearby targets of opportunity to build a power base. Ireland and Wales are weak and divided; the only thing standing between you and those kingdoms is getting claims. Invite/land claimants, marry for claims, or fabricate claims, as needed. Once you have most or all of Ireland and Wales, you should be able to stand up against England, so try to acquire claims and press them when England is weakened by wars or revolts.

One final point - as your realm expands, vassal relations become extremely important. One of the best ways to keep your realm stable is to make sure all your vassals are the same culture/religion. So when you conquer areas outside Scotland, you'll want to do one of two things. First, you can revoke titles (or personally claim them in the first place) and give them to Scottish courtiers. Or, you can arrange for a Scottish guardian for your vassals' heirs.

And after all that good advice pays off for the early stages you need to be snatching up counties in Ireland while keeping an eye on England. When he gets bogged down in France or elsewhere is when you start trying to opportunistically pull lands from back from him. Marrying sons into the royal family there also helps to gain claims or titles.

England has to be dismantled or you'll never be safe.

And while 1066 is tough, the 867 Scotland start is real fun to pull off.

One note on marrying your children for claims or alliances - you don't want powerful neighbors to end up with claims on your titles. This is especially problematic if you marry daughters off in regular marriages, as they'll go to the other court and their children won't be of your dynasty. Then you end up with the HRE pressing your grandson's claim at the worst possible time. By the same token, I wouldn't marry any sons other than your heir to a woman who's likely to gain a title. Even in a regular marriage, your son and any children will leave your court if his wife becomes a ruler. If he's your heir, it might work out fine - you'll take over as him when you die, and the children can inherit both parents' titles. But if he's not your heir, you might find your next ruler defending against his brother's strong claim. Even if he is your heir it's still a bit risky. If he suffers an untimely death after fathering children, those children could end up as enemy claimants.