• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Phaex

Lt. General
95 Badges
May 30, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
Thinking of doing a Basque Cathar game, or a Zoroastrian game for conversion to EU4. Since this will be a significant investment of time, I'm looking for opinions, and hoping others have experience of if either of these is even fun in EU4.

Other suggestions are also welcome. I currently have a 1200s (no Mongols quite yet) game with a restored Roman Empire +Persia and Africa, but converted as Eastern Tech. Have yet to get the patience to play another 100-200 years so the conversion is Western Tech (started as Doux of Aegean Isles sp. in 867). Also had boring states without the Mongol chaos.

Going Piast dynasty is somewhat appealing, as is forming Russia or Hungary/Carpathia. However, none of those seems like it'd be as interesting in EU4 as other options especially as I've played Russia/Poland before, and Hungary has a terrible EU4 color and bleh ideas. Maybe struggling to form a Jewish state? Norse or Shia HRE?

Thanks for contributing in advance!

Play as one of the Rurikid princes and unite Kievan Rus?(And then try to place your dynasty on every single throne in the world).

If I remember correctly, as long as you stay Orthodox, you always convert to eastern tech. So playing another 100-200 years shouldn't change that. But the differences between western and eastern tech are marginal anyway, in particular for a realm as big as a restored Rome.

I don't think heresies translate correctly with the converter, so I wouldn't bother with a Cathar game. If you form israel as a jew you can special ideas in EUIV, but I think it is difficult or impossible to get unique ideas as a Norse character, since the Danish/Norwegian/Swedish ideas are locked to Catholicism. Also bear in mind that no matter how long you play or what you do certain titles always have a certain tech group (Rome is always eastern, even if you play to the very end and get all tech maxed).

Also bear in mind that no matter how long you play or what you do certain titles always have a certain tech group (Rome is always eastern, even if you play to the very end and get all tech maxed).

Nope, it's tied to religion. My Catholic Rome converted game is western tech. Orthodox is always Eastern (but again, it really doesn't matter for a restored Rome. Not only are you big enough to make up the minor tech difference through sheer manpower, but if you have enough of Europe you get something upwards of 10 universities at the start of the game - which more than cancels out the tech penalties and lets you have a higher monarch point cap as well).

If you are planning on doing a full two games before the expansions come out, I'd recommend doing something a bit whacky. Like a big HRE + SI. It converts really well to EU4 and keeps the political aspect alive.

Zoroastrian is also good if you've not played much of the Middle East in EU4 and like to be alone on the religion front.

Or, if you play from the mongol invasion bookmark and the empire stays together, it imports a a fully intact mongol empire stretching from Europe to Manchu.

Oooh, reformed tengri Kingdom of Samarkand. Make Samarkand (awesome name) be the new Rome, push back the Arabs and gain control of the steppe in time to fight off the half dozen spawn events at that end of the map.

Apparently heretic religions convert over of you flip them, so that Catholics become the heretics. I've never tried it though... Being basque AND cathar seems a little redundant though as cathar is basically basque+ mechanics wise, but you might just like the culture.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Being basque AND cathar seems a little redundant though as cathar is basically basque+ mechanics wise, but you might just like the culture.

Was thinking I could have female rulers + female generals etc. I think to have that you need to be both Basque and Cathar? Having the entire Mongol Empire actually sounds entertaining as well.

Anyone know if Zoroastrian is in EU4 after conversion?

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Was thinking I could have female rulers + female generals etc. I think to have that you need to be both Basque and Cathar? Having the entire Mongol Empire actually sounds entertaining as well.

Anyone know if Zoroastrian is in EU4 after conversion?

Zoroastrians import, if they survive. The Cathar religion allows Absolute Cognatic, Female Council Members, and Female Generals, by the way.