• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Assault Korps

Captain
4 Badges
Sep 2, 2014
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
I spent all this time and resources developing and building marines and they don't really seem any different from regular infantry in an amphib invasion. Aren't they supposed to be able to move over the water by themselves? Didn't HOI2 do that? I'm not complaining--I love HOI3 very much.

Marines have attack bonuses out of transports, although you still have a net penalty, it's better than regular troops, also you can upgrade them in the INF tree, and the Naval tree to be even better (amphibious warfare techs in naval - first pertinent upgrade is a 1940 upgrade) and "Amphibious warfare equipment" in the Infantry tree (I think it's also a 1940 tech, but it may be 1941 too).

As mentioned they also have bonuses in jungles/swamps/river crossings, which makes them *really* nice for defending such areas or if you know you're going to invade India, China, Indochina, Siam, the Congo, or South America at some point, you're definitely going to want a marine component.

They also have better river crossing penalties. Higher organisation and less piercing. Overall they are better than regular infantry but are significantly more expensive.