Pskov(Russian Muscovy vassal) accepting Inhermanland(Finnish)?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TehJumpingJawa

Field Marshal
95 Badges
Feb 26, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sword of the Stars II
I just had a game where Pskov happily purchased Ingermanland because there was no "Pskov does not accept culture Finnish: -1000" modifier.
I then reloaded from an autosave (save scum because I forgot to rival Novgorod prior to invasion), and now when I repeat the process the modifier appears - scuttling my vassal feeding plans.

What could have changed?!
I doubt Novogorod either had the means nor motive to flip Ingermanland's culture to Russian. [confirmed not to be the case]
Nor can I see a way for Pskov to gain Finnish as an accepted culture. [confirmed not to be the case]
I'm fairly sure the base tax of Pskov's 2 provinces has remained consistent(5 & 2), I'm also quite sure Ingermandland's base tax hasn't changed (2) [confirmed not to be the case]

Would 2/9 base tax be enough for Finnish to become an accepted culture in Pskov?
Does the AI consider this when rejecting a purchase because of an unaccepted culture?

Has anyone else encountered this arbitrary acceptance/rejection of province purchases?

:edit:

I have save games & screenshots for both the acceptance & rejection; besides the date (accepts in 1447, rejects in 1449), I can't see any significant differences between the two situations.

accepts.jpg

rejects.jpg

Last edited:
I think if it got military ruler it should buy everything. Is it the same vassal ruler in both saves ?

Ah, you might be onto something there.

In the 1447 save (accepts), the leader is a 1/0/2.
There was an election in 1448.
In the 1449 save (rejects), the leader is a 4/1/1.

Looks like I need to complete the war before the 1448 election.

OMG the personality of the Pskov ruler is randomised!

I just re-fought the entire war, making sure I finished before the 1448 election. Came to sell the province.... and found he was an administrator not militarist.

He starts with the same name (Alexsandr VI Chartoryski), and the same stats (1/0/2), yet his personality (which apparently heavily influences province purchase approval) is random!

That *has* to be a bug.

I can't believe that vassals actually get a bit of life. Thought they were completely dead.

I consider it a nice feature.

Oh don't get me wrong; the personality feature is good.

My problem is that:

- It silently (and significantly) effects the way vassal feeding works
- It's applied randomly to otherwise hardcoded rulers. (if you're going to go to the trouble of hardcoding ruler stats, surely their personality is a major part of that)

I managed to sell Shun a non-shun-core off-religion Ming province in my last game. I don't know how, but Zhou wouldn't take one in the same situation. I didn't try again unfortunately. Something is definitely odd with the occasional sale.

Yes it's random at game start the whole thing is left over from the old vassal system i guess paradox (as always) was just to lazy to remove it and left it at it is. I guess it will be changed in latter patch allowing all the vassal to only buy provinces in same culture and religion group

He starts with the same name (Alexsandr VI Chartoryski), and the same stats (1/0/2), yet his personality (which apparently heavily influences province purchase approval) is random!

That *has* to be a bug.

Let's agree that it is a design flaw. The definition of savegames states that it's purpouse is to save the game in it's current state and permit you to load it from that exact current state again. Ruler personalitys switching around definitely breaks that.

Well, in a previous patch (I think 1.4), ruler personality of vassals impacted which provinces they were willing to buy, with militaristic leaders more inclined to buy outside culture group/religious group. However, this was far from transparent, as there was no way to know in advance before taking the province, leading to frustrations for many.

In subsequent patches, Paradox removed this possibility I personally found interesting. It seems it's now back, but still with its initial flaws (mainly not being able to know what vassal wants).

The suggestion at the time was that the "what of province" modifier could be shown on the diplomatic map, the same way claims and cores are at the moment. Thus, you would know which provinces you can give back to your vassals in a peace deal (cores), which provinces they want to have but can only core one at a time (claims) and finally the provinces they would be willing to buy under their current leader ("want of provinces"), one at a time again. The way I saw it was stripes for the first two (cores and claims) and a colour highlighting the area of their "want of provinces", including cores and claims (they want those anyway). :)

My opinion is still that this is a best solution, let's see what will happen in coming patches. :)