• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DrBob

Captain
10 Badges
Feb 27, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Iron Cross
  • March of the Eagles
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Hi all,

Welcome to my AI update thread. I will be posting my update on this thread soon.

the latest version is 1.8 gold and is listed in the WIF 2 thread.

Background, Fernando asked me to work on the ai files about 6 months ago and i have been living this game since then. Actually, he asked me to work on DH when he was starting on it and I didn't follow through. that was 2 years ago.

I have been updating WIF 2 with my updates since then and since Fernando's return and his new versions we decided that i should start this thread for simplicity.

I will be listing several versions of my update, one for WIF2 and one for DH.

I will also have a basic ai update for WIF2 and DH and then one with slightly modified units, tech, terrain modifiers. things i worked on for the last 6 months.

What does the ai update contain?

first, i mod all the start files. wif2 starts in 33 but i don't think there are any 33 start files, the scen. start files call the 36 ai files, which is fine, but they still need to be worked on. I changed a couple of scen. start files to use the 33 ai files.

so I work on research, alot, then ic build year to end ic build, then troop building, not as import at beginning but max days to build serial runs is important.

Next, the ai switch files, all above is in files for all the majors plus invasion. lots of invasion files.

I now look at the ai event files that call the ai switch files. I start to mod them and then add my own events.

that then leads me to the standard events and I have a couple of changes in those. I then adjusted the normal diff. level to 0.

that ends my ai changes,

i then started to do some changes in tech, a year lower here, a year lower there, mostly for game play. Assem. line at 39, mech at 41 with moto 39 as prereq.

I then did some changes to GDE in land doctrine and then did slight changes to armor speed and attack also to special units. That led me to the terrain modifiers and readjusted those.

I increased max ships to 24 and increased others. i lowered torpedo damage by 2. all overstack bonus is set at -50%. land, air, an sea.

There is now a combined arms bonus 10/5.

version 2.0 is out and it works with WIF2 Apocalypse with DH 1.04 RC1. Note on Ver 2.0. the difficulty file was not placed in the right folder. Move difficulty file from the main World in flame 2 folder to the "db" folder. it will ask to over write file and say yes. sorry. LINK REMOVED.

NEW edit, just found out on ver 2.0 the usa33 start file has 2 duplicate numbers for one unit. it is the hawaii garrison units id 649 and 650. You have to change the last 3 garrison and start with id = 651 and 652. Each garrison unit has 2 id numbers.

New version 2.1 will work with DH 1.04 Final. Work ongoing. renamed ver 2.2

Here it is :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w32jj2ccgzp9wr9/AI_update_for__wif2_Ver_2.2.rar

Install in the wif2 folder and overwrite any existing files, there will be an AI update readme file installed in the main wif2 folder to confirm install.

Thanks to every one who placed helpful observations in the forum. Enjoy!!!

Cheers, have a Guinness, I am, :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am back. i have been playing a little, though not modding much. I checked the WIF2 thread and it looks like there is a beta out but i could not find it. would like to look at the files and maybe do some changes. However, i don't think i will have to change much or anything at all, i will just have to make sure all files update correctly to new version. there is one file that i did some changes on and that is the mods.txt that FT uses for most if not all of his changes. the only events i changed in it were the military conferences, so FT, if you put out a new version please put those events in my mod file, thanks.

Now, observations on last 2 games. I'm having a lot of fun and playing into 43 and 44.

Soviet troop numbers in may 41 where, 343 divs. IC was 432/366. number of troops is good. i was always trying to get at least 300 by may 41 so that is great. IC looks good also.

I played from this point forwards twice. i am in the second game and it is july 43.

The first game i did not encircle enough Sov troops that by Sept 42 Sov had 452 total divs. I then started to run out of fuel. Usa did att into africa and then italy. and then moved onto Dday in 43.
japan did pearl in both games and takes the phillipines and then moves into dutch east indies.

the second game went better, i picked three main attack lanes and encircled more sov troops. in all of 41 they had no more then 319 and in july 42 they had 332.

I am playing in july 43 and i am beating back the sov easily, but usa started dday. However, since they have not finished in africa they are short of troops and contained.

I would like to see Italy keep more troops in homeland and the USA take out africa in 6 months. Sov needs land doc and they are always behind. i think i will change a couple of start years for Sov land doc.

Cheers,

Hi! I'm playing WIF Gold with Dr. Bob's AI installed. I started in 1933 as the United Kingdom, with Normal difficulty and Furious Aggressiveness. I am running under Windows Vista. It is now April 1938 in-game. I have a few observations:

1) The game crashes much more often than it used to. Before, I could go several day (real time) without a crash; now it crashes every few hours real time, or few month, game time. This is discouraging.

2) The auto save is doing that thing where it saves under a new date (October 1, November 1, December 1) every time, so you get a big backlog of savegame files. The copy of WIF Gold I used as the base for installing Dr. Bob's AI did not do this.

3) There was an unidentified choice in the Decisions screen. It showed the piano keyboard but just a long number starting in 9 and ending with the word "name" instead of a description. I thought it was the music choice, so I clicked one, but it seemed to do nothing (I don't think I ever installed the WIF music properly). Since then, I have had some unidentified events happen, also with numbers starting in 9 and ending in "name". One had to do with Ireland; another raised my dissent by 4%.

I am not posting this to complain, because I appreciate what Dr. Bob and others are doing. I only want to mention what is happening to me in case it is useful to them or others. So far, I have noticed several improvements with Dr. Bob's AI installed, such as a dedicated British unit in Northern Ireland, the Spanish colonies NOT rebelling and firing off partisans, and the French NOT stripping North Africa of all troops. So thanks!

Hi Parnis,

#1, i also play on windows vista and i have never had a crash so i think you might have a bad install. also, #3 would make me think there is something wrong.

#2, I didn't do anything with that setting but maybe one of my files reverts it back to the "per month" save game. i don't even know where that setting is, although i did see a post on it.

#3, Humm, no idea, bad install.

glad you are enjoying the update. i will be updating first post with install instructions and a new, minor update, soon.

#2, I didn't do anything with that setting but maybe one of my files reverts it back to the "per month" save game. i don't even know where that setting is, although i did see a post on it.

Just change this line in the misc. file from 1 to 0

# Use new auto-save file format: AutoSave_Country_Year_Month_Day.eug. 1 - Enabled, 0 - Disabled.
0 # WiF has this set to 1

Thanks, DrBob and Pasha! I will try reinstalling it, because except for the problems I mentioned, it was a fine improvement on an already fine mod. I am not good at installing things, so I will ask a friend with more computer gaming experience to help.

italy surrender event

Hello all,

I was getting tired of the Italian surrender event sending 75 divisions of each usa and ger to there capital, so i started changing it. It appears i have it working and leaving german and allied troops in prov. that they control. Italy is given Sicily and some of N.africa, bengazi. It is no way perfect but works quite well when germany has northern italy and US or UK has southern italy.

I will be putting out an update soon, i think I have enough changes to warrant one.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all!!!!!

Hi all,
playing a game as Germ and enjoying it. Reworked UK naval files, they now protect channel and should show up in the Med. Reworked US naval files, south pacific. moving close to indo. Seeing alot more naval combat. Australia took back philipines from Japan, then lost it. Italy surrender event working well.

Reworked ground defense for large planes, they now take some damage from AA.

There are 1216 downloads of the ai update, Wow, that is great glad to see everyone enjoying it.

Cheers!!!!

Hi all, OK I am back and working my AI update for WIF2 Apoc. version. Last ai update ver 1.8 gold had 1.703 DL's, Awesome!!!

Not sure when I will have it complete but I am looking on having something posted soon, maybe by this weekend.

Cheers!

Reactions:
Hi all, I have been working on the Pearl Harbor event for Japan. it seems that distances have been increased, for sea zone to sea zone, or distance for ships have been reduced. Either way, I have edited the starting ships for Japan and made all ships type 3 if less then that so they have enough range to get to Pearl. It is working so I will be putting together the AI update and posting it soon.

:)

Hi all, well here it is. Ai update for wif2 Ver 2.0

Link removed, NEW EDIT. goto top of page one for 2 edits to the ver 2.0 install, thanks.

New version 2.1 coming out soon, It will work with DH 1.04 final.

Last edited:
Great, thanks! Any idea is this possible to add on Edge of darkness mod?

Hi, You're welcome, glad people are playing with my mod.

I am not sure if my ai update will work on another mod. my 33 start files should be fine but it is the events and tech that could be issues. if Edge uses the tech tree and the same research and the same provinces as Darkest hour then the 33 start files should work. also all the switch files should be fine. I could post an update with just the 33 start files and switch files if you like. let me know.

One note on my new update. I did lower the starting years for the sov land doctrine so they have a higher GDE in 41. This should help with balance. I have played 2 games and it seems balanced to me. I may increase GDE a little more, if needed.

HI, well, yes, you can try it and let me know.

The mod works best on Normal difficulty, i have set all bonuses to 0.

I play the game and notice things that the AI is not doing or doing wrong and try to fix them. There are only certain things I can do, and that is edit the script files that load at the beginning of the game.

I can also edit events. But as far as how the AI does certain things, i can't do any thing. i don't change the program or any parts of it.

The 33 start files are a big part of what the AI does. Tech research is a big deal and I work on that and rework it till the tech research makes sense. EX. No ship research for land locked countries. Sov concentrate on tanks, infantry and land doctrine, no amph. assault doctrine, etc. ENG research ship, land and air. USA amph. assault, infantry, tank, bombers, nuclear.

You also have a build scheme and I adjust that with what tech they research and add brigades. length of run.

The "switch" files are critical for invasion and war defense and attack. I don't use certain attack types as the ai does to many bonehead things.

Invasion files are critical and I rework them so the ai will do amph. assault and where they are told. last game i played as GER, USA invaded, Italy, holland, S. france, UK invaded Norway and Yugo. and we are still in 42.

Events are big and hard to follow but I edit what i can and make slight changes so they work better. Italy invade greece event now fires, sometimes. Japan, Pearl harbor event should fire. Italy surrender should work better. USA defend homeland added. Dday fires later in game and depends on what Rus. cities are occupied. Also added my 3 coast Dday event, USA will either attack, channel coast, Atlantic coast or Med.

Got to go, hope this helps,

Bob

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hi, You're welcome, glad people are playing with my mod.

I am not sure if my ai update will work on another mod. my 33 start files should be fine but it is the events and tech that could be issues. if Edge uses the tech tree and the same research and the same provinces as Darkest hour then the 33 start files should work. also all the switch files should be fine. I could post an update with just the 33 start files and switch files if you like. let me know.

One note on my new update. I did lower the starting years for the sov land doctrine so they have a higher GDE in 41. This should help with balance. I have played 2 games and it seems balanced to me. I may increase GDE a little more, if needed.
Well, I can try to add your new events on EoD mod. I saw you have done some new events so I am happy if I can add them into EoD mod folder. :) I think Edge of Darkness is upgraded mod from WiF2 with a lot of new stuff.

Hi, Yes you can use any events I have created or modified for EoD, just give me credit in notes. I think I put a DB on top of all modded events and on most new ones and that is good enough.

I will have to check out EoD one of these days.