• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KipAllen

Major
25 Badges
Apr 4, 2008
kipallen.com
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
I started by removing all my assigned leaders, and then putting the ones I thought best suited for the units involved. As the game progressed, my division-level generals gained both experience, skill and special traits.

Now the question is, do I keep these top general where they are right on the fighting front, or promote them and have them take over higher-level commands, suchs corps and army?

Any suggestions as how to proceed?

Traits get halved at each step up the chain of command, but those traits can be applied to up to 5 units below, as long as they're within command range. That means, a trait at Corp command level can potentially generate 2.5x the benefit as one at Division level. I'd consider promoting the ones with the best selection of traits, regardless of their actual skill level. Skill has the most benefit either at Division level for actual combat or at AG level for maximum supply efficiency.

The benefits of higher skill at Corp level ceases to matter once you've researched the doctrine which gives you +5.00 combat reinforcement chance; there's not a huge benefit to increasing it by another point or two. Before you research it, a decently skilled commander at Corps level can be a big help.

It depends on what you want them to do really.

Because traits spread fairly thickly over the Corps and Army level (50% and 25% respectively) it's a pretty good idea to load up your trait heavy generals in those echelons (although supply efficiency is a pretty solid option for even higher) Corps commanders actually level up pretty quickly too as far as skill points. Unless you have somebody that's gotten massively high in level (they're destined for Army group command if you're like me for supply purposes - or army command at least for the org bonus). In general though, you'll want to shuffle these leaders very slowly if you're actively fighting because the divisions which you feed new generals will lose a tremendous amount of org.

I'm kind of an odd ball, in that I put primacy of consideration on log wiz traited generals. I also tend to go with pre-war, early war, finisher type command assignments.

Pre-war, all I consider are log wiz generals, with the exception of ensuring that there's a skill level 5 at Army Group commands. Theater, regardless of skill level or any other traits, is always log wiz. Same with army and, as much as possible, corps. Everything else is filled with whatever's at hand.

Early war: In the weeks prior to opening of hostilities, I transfer log wizers to division level. The goal here is to get them as much experience and skill level increases as possible in the earlier phase of the war, since logistics is a lesser limiter at that time. I particularly try to get a log wiz traited general up to skill level 5 (or better), for each army group I intend to have by mid war.

Mid war: The size of my military is basically established. The distance logistics must travel to reach my various units has increased. At this time, I put the highest skill level'd generals with log wiz trait into my army group commands (assuming they're skill level 5 or higher. Otherwise, I go with skill level 5 or higher generals). Log wiz of moderate skill level go to army HQs for the increase in org given by the skill levels, log wizers of higher, but not high enough to be army group commanders, go into corps for the increase in brig rotations in battles the skill levels bring. Division gets the usual offensive traits.

Another trait I watch out for is commando. That one is reserved for commands and/or divisions I intend to use in low infra areas, or as independent operators.

The headquarters can still lead from the front and combine all the units participating in the battle. It could be useful when divisions belonging to separate formations need the best leader available even if he has no traits but has a high skill.

Most interesting cases are the leaders who start at some low rating, even 0, but their maximum is high.

The way I handle is to let them gain traits for the first one or two years of war (If playing as Germany or China), then promote them all the way higher up- until they are commander of an Army Group. If there are several leaders with many traits, I use them on my special forces (ie. things that I micromanage or use a lot, such as marines etc.), or use them on units that are priority in the upgrade list- great leaders deserve great equipment.

Theater level HQs see little benefit from LogWizards - I usually put my highest non-LogWizard on them, and for front/army groups, put in the high-end LogWizards. There's math somewhere that supports that, if I'm not wrong (which I may be...).

Always fun to start Rommel with a panzer division. Promote him to army group prior to Barbarossa, but post-other adventures.

Theater level HQs see little benefit from LogWizards - I usually put my highest non-LogWizard on them, and for front/army groups, put in the high-end LogWizards. There's math somewhere that supports that, if I'm not wrong (which I may be...).

Always fun to start Rommel with a panzer division. Promote him to army group prior to Barbarossa, but post-other adventures.

It's been my experience that even though the log savings is light once it reaches down to the division level, it reaches *all* divisions under that Theater command. That adds up to a substantial lessening of strain on the overall logistics train when trying to keep a large force fed and oiled over an entire front. Especially when combined with the log savings from log wizers all down the chain, and the benefit of a 5% reduction in log consumption per skill level at Army Group.

For divisions in especially troublesome log areas, and/or those divisions that absolutely must remain in good log condition, I put in commando traited generals. Not even sure the commando trait works lol, but... having a full chain o' command above focusing primarily on log consumption reduction, and the ability to operate somewhat better on the end of the spear with less than normal supply...

It's been my experience that even though the log savings is light once it reaches down to the division level, it reaches *all* divisions under that Theater command. That adds up to a substantial lessening of strain on the overall logistics train when trying to keep a large force fed and oiled over an entire front. Especially when combined with the log savings from log wizers all down the chain, and the benefit of a 5% reduction in log consumption per skill level at Army Group.

For divisions in especially troublesome log areas, and/or those divisions that absolutely must remain in good log condition, I put in commando traited generals. Not even sure the commando trait works lol, but... having a full chain o' command above focusing primarily on log consumption reduction, and the ability to operate somewhat better on the end of the spear with less than normal supply...

I've used commando leaders a lot in key areas where I know the fighting is going to lower the local INFRA to very bad levels (parts of Russia, China, etc). It does seem to help a bit, but I could just be seeing what I want to see.

Commando leaders reduce the out of supply penalty by 20%. Thus, a division out of supply but with commando leader, will have a -30% penalty, instead of -50% due to being out of supply. Otherwise, commando does nothing about the supply situation.

Yeah Commando is nice if your troops are going to be cut off, are sitting someplace where there are no supplies (a blacked out province) or happen to be Marines or Airborne who are attacking into some place where you wont be able to get them supplies in the near future - it's nice if you have to jump over some territory that is out of supplies and will be for a while (some place you've turned into a moonscape), but mainly limited to marines and airborne stuff.